Coax Digital Out...

LuckyLyndy

I have an older Philips dvd 5960 player. Do I have to go into the menu to direct it to output the signal for the digital coax cable out?
I am having real problems with my diy gear. I am getting nothing, Philips dvd>Sheldon Stokes DAC>Pass diy preamp>Phase Linear amp> speakers.
I am trying to troubleshoot it. I took out the dac and preamp in the set up, ran standard rca connects from dvd player to tube preamp to amp. That works.
And when I run the dvd player to the dac, I hear that click, but nothing. I can only run coax digital into the dac.
It used to have optical input, but my friend deactivated that. :0(
Ideas?

Tell your friend to reactivate it, or you aren't friends any more.
Harsh. You catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar. Tell your friend you'll give him or her a beer if he or she reactivates it.

(By the way, if you really want to catch flies...? Shit works better than honey or vinegar.)

Sorry for the slow response. I was off line for all of yesterday. My DAC had two outputs. One was Toslink, which is what I used with my Technics Jukebox, and all was fine.
My mentor said Toslink was full of jitter, and when we put it in a Hammond case, he deactivated it (there would be no easy way to switch, once everything was in the case) and put in a BNC connector. I never heard it post 'surgery' as I was moving from Utah to Illinois. But it must have worked in his system, as he used it for a year.
I just remember having to go into the Phillips menu many times when I was using it for use in my home theater set up and DvD-A playback.
This reminds me of the conundrum of people not wanting to have a screen or laptop, or monitor to make use of their dvd player as source for playback. I tore everything apart yesterday, as I was sick of tinkering and wanted a music system for my birthday party. Back went my 80's Sherwood receiver and Jukebox. Played just fine. The irony was that no music was played either in my living room, or in my backyard (Sony X-box) for the party. I didn't want to blast out conversation. Makes me feel old. :angel:
Thanks for the suggestions, and I will try them out this weekend. I even thought of hauling my DAC to the last high end stereo shop in a nearby town. But I don't think they would be open to a guy walking in with a diy DAC, and suggesting we hook it up to their McIntosh gear, to 'see' if it works, or if anything 'blows'.:naughty:
Lyndon

Bodyblue,
I think he disliked it in general. I never had a problem with it. I used it in all my receivers. I moved two years ago, and still my gear is in disarray. I still have not found my Google Audio Chromecast. That sounded very good through my system.

Bodyblue,
I think he disliked it in general. I never had a problem with it. I used it in all my receivers. I moved two years ago, and still my gear is in disarray. I still have not found my Google Audio Chromecast. That sounded very good through my system.

OK, it just seemed like a strange thing to say about Toslink. Digital jitter is real thing but it is so rare and I have never in my life heard it through Toslink. Keep using it, it is a proven technology.

E-Stat,
It was something to do with the timing. My friend had a very nice unit, Audio Alchemy?, that would stabilize the timing for one of his other stereo set ups.

Back
Top Bottom