NEC A-7 Reserve II & NEC T-6

SoundsAlike

Pick up a neat and rarely seen NEC integrated amplifier and NEC T-6 tuner. I haven't had the chance to listen closely to the units yet --- but one thing comes to mind as far as looks go, they're pretty beefy units.

The Amplifier is 50Wx2 8ohms and 100Wx2 4ohms. The Phono section can do MM at 90db/SN and MC at 73db/SN. It also has 2 aux inputs and a CD-input, and a tuner for a total of 5 inputs. Only 3 a/c power outlets on the back.

I have no idea what the specs are on the tuner. Anyways, these pieces date to early/mid 1980s. Both all all made in Japan and I'm getting a Kenwood/Denon vibe from the looks of them.

Here's some pics for the net!
Yq0HqR3.jpg

bz0C1Z3.jpg

axn0c6x.jpg

HI2HEBf.jpg

QNP7yx5.jpg

Last edited:
Pick up a neat and rarely seen NEC integrated amplifier and NEC T-6 tuner. I haven't had the chance to listen closely to the units yet --- but one thing comes to mind as far as looks go, they're pretty beefy units.

The Amplifier is 50Wx2 8ohms and 100Wx2 4ohms. The Phono section can do MM at 90db/SN and MC at 73db/SN. It also has 2 aux inputs and a CD-input, and a tuner for a total of 5 inputs. Only 3 a/c power outlets on the back.

I have no idea what the specs are on the tuner. Anyways, these pieces date to early/mid 1980s. Both all all made in Japan and I'm getting a Kenwood/Denon vibe from the looks of them.

Here's some pics for the net!
Yq0HqR3.jpg

bz0C1Z3.jpg

axn0c6x.jpg

HI2HEBf.jpg

QNP7yx5.jpg
Nice looking units! a perfect match to my recent NEC CD-705 cd player purchase

Both of those pieces are very good performers. A common issue with the tuner is after it's been on for a while, the bass may get distorted. The power supply is to blame, and would benefit from a re-cap. The low profile of this tuner allows heat to build up, and the caps in the power supply dry out after all these years.. Other than that issue, it was a very highly rated tuner when new.

Hi, Im looking for an NEC A-7 service manual - and I cannot find it on the internet. Can you help me out? A jpg pic about the technical drawing (schematics) can be perfect.
One of my NEC A-7's channel (left side) not works perfectly and the stereo sounding has issues too - plus the filters are not so sharp.
So she is very problematic! :)
Thanks.

I've got a couple of NEC amps
A-7
A-10 type II
A-11
M50 Mono amps.

I haven't come across any of the manuals or service docs yet unfortunately :(

Thanks! :)

Im a big NEC fan too: CD-803 and CD-705 + the A-7...what is down now!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a T-6 and CD-705. It's not critical but I wouldn't pass the opportunity to grab them if they crossed my path.
The 10XX is the amp I'd like come across. But I'm glad I was able to locate an A-11. once that showed up, it started raining NEC amps around here.

I'm keeping my eyes open for a T-6 and CD-705. It's not critical but I wouldn't pass the opportunity to grab them if they crossed my path.
The 10XX is the amp I'd like come across. But I'm glad I was able to locate an A-11. once that showed up, it started raining NEC amps around here.

CD-705 has amazing sound. Silky, warm and wide. The laser (OPH-32) is a kind of problem factor - mine is fine - but hard to find some replacement...mostly from Toshiba CD players.

If it's raining NEC amps around your place, let me know about the A-11. A-10XX in the states would be like finding gold at Fort Knox.

If it's raining NEC amps around your place, let me know about the A-11. A-10XX in the states would be like finding gold at Fort Knox.
Yeah the 10XX is probably just fantasy since I'm not aware that it was ever sold in the states. I was lucky enough to find an A-11 which I'm going put some effort ( or cash) into cleaning up. The 7 , 10 and 11 are all working . so are the M50's I have a spare set of those for parts. No idea how I got an NEC habit especially since I'm not really big on integrated amps . but I like the design internally and externally. The A-11 with it's 3 transformers is pretty cool.

Good news! My NEC A-7 works fine again! Nice sounding.

Good to hear that it's running again.

Last edited:
Any of you fellow A-7 owners happen to have an electronic (i.e. scanned-in) copy of the owner's manual? I was able to obtain a copy of the service manual (thanks @Hifirob2 !), but the owner's manual seems to be unobtainium.

NEC gear from this era, well there were many unsung heroes. Often reviewed positively, but in High Fidelity magazine, which wasn’t as widely read or respected by the later 80’s when this stuff was new. Too bad really, both the mag and the gear deserved more.
Nice find.

If any of you NEC fans are interested, I found a review of the NEC A-10 mkII (which I believe the A-7 shares a lot with and was released around the same time) in Stereo Review from June of 1985! The review is on pages 31-32 of the PDF. They seemed to have nothing but good things to say about it. Scroll through the rest of the mag for totally 80s awesomeness! haha

If any of you NEC fans are interested, I found a review of the NEC A-10 mkII (which I believe the A-7 shares a lot with and was released around the same time) in Stereo Review from June of 1985! The review is on pages 31-32 of the PDF. They seemed to have nothing but good things to say about it. Scroll through the rest of the mag for totally 80s awesomeness! haha

I love the advertisements, particularly from smaller vendors that lauched and fizzled. I'm not much of a review person. If I read them I try to not let them influence me in any way. The more a reviewer hates a product, the more I'm likely to seek it out :) The company I worked for was on the receiving end of some B.S commentary even AFTER they wrote a half decent review of one of the products. Advertising Dollars ruled these magazines and often how things got spun. but in any case. NEC for the most part ( in the USA) is still flying under the radar.

I've had several vintage audio hobbyist buddies go home "impressed" after hearing the A-10 MKII , A11 and even the M50 Monos. "I didn't know those things sounded so good" One buddy brought over his fully restored Marantz and Pioneer SX12 ??whatever, and consistently picked the NEC during some A/B listening . So Shhhhh..... we need to to keep this under wraps and don't let the word out about these units, at least not until I find that elusive 10XX unit I've had on my wanted list for the past couple of decades or so. :) I'm actually replicating the wood side panels and possibly a Corian Top for my A-11.

I've had several vintage audio hobbyist buddies go home "impressed" after hearing the A-10 MKII , A11 and even the M50 Monos. "I didn't know those things sounded so good" One buddy brought over his fully restored Marantz and Pioneer SX12 ??whatever, and consistently picked the NEC during some A/B listening . So Shhhhh..... we need to to keep this under wraps and don't let the word out about these units, at least not until I find that elusive 10XX unit I've had on my wanted list for the past couple of decades or so. :) I'm actually replicating the wood side panels and possibly a Corian Top for my A-11.

Not only is the A-10 a great amp, it's a great space heater for a small room. Too hot for summer months - so currently just using a AV-350 in BTL mode. Sounds great too.

Back
Top Bottom