Favorite "Non Hit" from your favorite group?

ZZ Top - Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings

BTO - Sledgehammer

Skynyrd - Was I Right or Wrong

"Wond'ring Again" and "Life Is a Long Song" (Jethro Tull, Living in the Past).
A bit difficult to choose, as I like just about every "non-hit" on Tull's first half-dozen or so albums. :)

Agreed.

Tull and Zeppelin, not a bad tune on most of the studio albums.

How about:

Tull - One Brown Mouse

Allman Bros. - Little Martha
Flying Burrito Bros. - Tried So Hard
Ralph McTell - Zimmerman Blues
Just a few off the top of my head.

Enjoy the music,
-Mark

Today by Jefferson Airplane. It was probably overwhelmed by the dual assault of White Rabbit and Somebody to Love. Many of the psychedelic rock artists started out playing folk music. To me, this tender ballad showed the transition between the two genres. Some memorable Jerry Garcia guitar playing, too.

"Today" is not only one of my favourite numbers by The Airplane, but by any SF Bay Area band active in the late 60s. It is superb, especially @ certain "live" performances @ which the pairing of Marty's and Grace's vocals is sublime.

Today by Jefferson Airplane. It was probably overwhelmed by the dual assault of White Rabbit and Somebody to Love. Many of the psychedelic rock artists started out playing folk music. To me, this tender ballad showed the transition between the two genres. Some memorable Jerry Garcia guitar playing, too.
While we're on the subject (sort of), how about the lesser-known Airplane version of "Wooden Ships"? Seems to me that you only heard this one late at night on the "underground" FM station and not very often, at that. For my money it's more haunting and evocative than CS & N's take (which, to be sure, rocked a little harder).

While we're on the subject (sort of), how about the lesser-known Airplane version of "Wooden Ships"? Seems to me that you only heard this one late at night on the "underground" FM station and not very often, at that. For my money it's more haunting and evocative than CS & N's take (which, to be sure, rocked a little harder).

which is the lesser-know Airplane version of Ships?

I am sure I must own it but have no clue which you speak of? A live release?

which is the lesser-know Airplane version of Ships?

I am sure I must own it but have no clue which you speak of? A live release?
Ha-ha. Very clever. I think you must have realized that what I was alluding to is the fact that the CS&N version was much more popular than the Airplane variant. To my knowledge, the Airplane never released a version of "Wooden Ships" other than the one on Volunteers.

I am sorry if my post led to any ambiguity in your mind.

Last edited:
Ha-ha. Very clever. I think you must have realized that what I was alluding to is the fact that the CS&N version was much more popular than the Airplane variant. To my knowledge, the Airplane never released a version of "Wooden Ships" other than the one on Volunteers.

I am sorry if my post led to any ambiguity in your mind.

That is funny. I always thought the Airplane's version was the go to and CSN version just a popular cover. Like Triad, another CSN cover.
I really did read your post wondering which Volunteers by Airplane you meant. After I posted it did cross my mind you may have meant as you confirmed.

Do you think of Triad an Airplane song or CSN?

Maybe it was just what group we were in when these songs were popular that colors perception.

Or maybe I am just wrong. :(

Out of the loop as it were.

Do you think of Triad an Airplane song or CSN?

Maybe it was just what group we were in when these songs were popular that colors perception.
I think you're quite right, and I would go as far as to say that the version you hear first might have the bigger influence. F'rinstance, the first time I heard "Triad" was when listening to the live CS&N release Four Way Street with the David Crosby preamble. So for me, it will always be a CS&N song rather than a Byrds or an Airplane song, and more specifically, a David Crosby song. Plus, it's my recollection that he got the songwriting credit.

My perception of the popularity of CS&N's "Wooden Ships" is colored by the fact that I'd probably heard it a hundred times before I ever heard the Airplane version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom