Interesting article on cables...drama ensues...

Well, I sent Bob Levi a message with a link to this thread. I asked him to respond. Lets see if he gives us his side of the story.

BillWojo

I buy you an "e" to improve your judgement. :p

I hope not. And I hope you are not an attorney. Years ago I had bestowed upon me a many page lecture (by a world renowned atty no less) on why there is no 'e' in judgment. This being the future tho, people change the language and make shit up to suit themselves. Perfectly harmless nouns are now verbs and sometimes adjectives. We are not the better for it.

But if you go before the court with an 'e', you will experience a non-favorable judgment.

and I have to ask: I see 'snake oil' used everywhere, mostly on auto boards where the item in discussion is in fact: oil.

so two important questions:

1) why would any anyone want oil - snake or otherwise - poured into audio equipment? does it act like gold-priced thermal paste or deoxit?
2) has anyone actually ever squoze or otherwise refined snakes into oil? is that possible? lots of people hate snakes....we have lots of snakes...we need more oil....I see a possible solution?

I have always viewed audiophile cables as contours to sound. Have a system that's to bright,slap some Cardas interconnects on them.To warm of a system look for silver based interconnects. Like tube rolling it changes the sound.
In regards to power cables I had a Cardas power chord soldered into my modified Adcom 555 and when it powered up it kept blowing the fuse. After going through the unit and finding nothing wrong with the Adcom we replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse and it solved the problem.

Last edited:
But the discussion was NOT "Audio Cables" it was high end power cables ...

>> "demonstrated the “benefits” of expensive — very expensive — power cords"

Most folks will agree Interconnects are a different matter.

I have always viewed audiophile cables as contours to sound. Have a system that's to bright,slap some Cardas interconnects on them.To warm of a system look for silver based interconnects. Like tube rolling it changes the sound.
In regards to power cables I had a Cardas power chord soldered into my modified Adcom 555 and when it powered up it kept blowing the fuse. After going through the unit and finding nothing wrong with the Adcom we replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse and it solved the problem.

Sounds like something isn't adjusted properly on that amp... Bad bias maybe?

As to the OP's link-regardless of how you feel about the test methodology or fancy power cords, I think we can agree that Mark comes across as the more reasonable individual in that email exchange. I'd not have had nearly that much patience. Yee-ikes.

o_O slowly peeks in the thread, before putting my finger in boiling hot water.
wheres those brussel sprouts im hungry lol

As to the OP's link-regardless of how you feel about the test methodology or fancy power cords, I think we can agree that Mark comes across as the more reasonable individual in that email exchange. I'd not have had nearly that much patience. Yee-ikes.
Still works today and sounds very tubey.
Brooks Berdan did the chord he couldn't find anything wrong with it but fuse kept blowing. He called a tech friend of his from MIT who went over it,found nothing wrong with amp. They just deduced I guess that upon turning the amp on the current was more than 15amps.

Last edited:
I have a response from from Bob Levi. Here is our exchange:
  • Bill, please post.
    Marks scientific test and instrument was an app on a cell phone. The manufacturer insists there was no rigging and the aural results of their superior wires is legit. Bill Low is a forthright and honest inventor.
    Words matter. Even flat earthers who consider Newton the last word in accuracy are welcome to question presenters during and after the presentations in person. We cannot be inhospitable or accusatory or presenters would refuse to appear and we all lose.
    Our investigation shows no problem with the presentation. As to Marks cry of wolf, he has made his bed and must lie in it. Next time, just raise your hand and ask a question instead of searching for a conspiracy.
    I was not there. None of you were there. A friend of mine suggested we blame the subtle two DB bump on a room node. Those pesky nodes!

On Thursday, July 12, 2018, Bill Wojo <coyotebill57@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Please give us your side of the story on this unfolding drama.
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/i ndex.php?threads/interesting-a rticle-on-cables-drama-ensues. 829893/unread
    Thank you
    Bill Wojo

--
    Bob Levi
    President and CEO

Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society
    Celebrating Our 25th Anniversary!
    Now with over 2500 Members! The World's Largest According to TAS!

8144 E Bailey Way
    Anaheim, CA 92808
    1-714-281-5850

LAOCAS.COM for all future events!
    facebook.com/laocas for the latest Society News!

Was it an app with a mic hooked up or using the phone's built in mic?

I'd be more likely trust the IMM-6 to detect 1-2 dB. The built in mic not so much. Whether it's a cell phone app or not is less important.

I still personally call BS on power cords making any difference whatsoever unless the regular cord is of inadequate gauge.

Was it an app with a mic hooked up or using the phone's built in mic?

I'd be more likely trust the IMM-6 to detect 1-2 dB. The built in mic not so much. Whether it's a cell phone app or not is less important.

I still personally call BS on power cords making any difference whatsoever unless the regular cord is of inadequate gauge.

According to the first article :

I brought along a reference quality microphone and portable recording device which I kept out of view as I recorded the music selections powered through the different cables.

well, I had this thought: 'Mark' prolly should not have posted internal exchanges between the two. Granted its not ILLEGAL (yet), without full permission granted by saying "I am gonna post our email exchange in public to make a point".

If 'Mark' is a reporter or aspires to be one, did he inform 'Bob' its all on the record? My take on 'Bob' is that IF the exchange posted as emails is correct and not edited, he is a hothead a little on the childish side with a truth problem. The emails clearly say he did invite the guy to do whatever and he denied it thricely later. Bad show. As I said, if the exchange is in reality as posted.

And thus is the problem with our world online...when this stuff was new (and trust me, I was there) everyone (incl me) naively assumed that all participants would adhere to a gentlemans agreement of civility.

HA.

so we have censorship and moderation and reviews and what have you online, and such is added that there is no consistent set of standards per location, let alone among them so flame wars and 'revenge <insert word here>' have become among the most entertaining things on the planet. on topic side bar: as many know, I work for the man, and all my presence is monitored and I am held to a much higher standard than the rest of the civilian population. Yanno, its not such a bad idea...(under recommendation) I dont have social media and I pause before send, to make sure I dont post or show something that does not get an editing: it can generate an arrest. It may be the case that some day this applies to the internet. I cannot stand on the corner and scream at someone they are an asshole without expecting SOME sort of law enforcement interdiction. IT may (hopefully) come to that online. That all being said, they had a disagreement. 'Mark' did his job as his website purports it to be. 'Bob' over reacted, fibbed and took his ball home to play and 'Mark' responded to the sting of having said ball taken away, by an appeal to the masses.

In this world, the norm, but it would have been better if they kept it private. (and in the end, does it REALLY freaking matter? pick a good enemy before you draw your sword....just sayin)

of course I still personally feel the cable/wire people are nuck futts but I wont let that stand in the way of eating a good cheesesteak and prolly would still replace their blown differential inputs for them. (but I would coat them in cheese sauce cuz that adds....yanno....flavor)

ps: 2500 members? we have more than that in the classic oldsmobile club. peeshaww....

Back
Top Bottom