Pioneer SX-1280

Zweezy73

Screenshot_20180712-101748_Instagram.jpg Guys,

Is there anyway to hook up my modern television to my pioneer reciever? I've only ever run my turntable off it but am curious if i could avoid paying for a home theatre setup and just use my current setup.

Thanks,

Zach

A lot of new TVs don't have rca line outs. They only have headphone, and digital (optical and coaxial). So, the solution is to get a headphone to rca adapter cable, or a dac. The headphone route might suck, the headphone out on my TV is pathetically low, so I have to run the volume position kinda high, which picks up a hiss.

View attachment 1232943 Guys,

Is there anyway to hook up my modern television to my pioneer reciever? I've only ever run my turntable off it but am curious if i could avoid paying for a home theatre setup and just use my current setup.

Thanks,

Zach

As awesome as the SX 1280 is for stereo sound, it is not a very good HT amp. Modern TV and Movies are encoded for surround sound and dialog comes through the center channel. It will sound ok, but nowhere near what a modern HT amp will sound. I have both in my living room; a vintage receiver and speaker for two channel stereo and a modern HT unit for TV and Playstation etc. It is vintage only for me for 2 channel music, period. But there is just zero comparison between a two channel amp and a modern AVR for TV and movies.

20180708_130849.jpg

You can set the audio output of your source to stereo. My satellite box, ps3, and firestick are all set to stereo. It sounds fine. My friend actually covered his head when the b52 went through while playing black ops. I have my TV hooked to a sx 1250. I like to feel the explosions.

You can set the audio output of your source to stereo. My satellite box, ps3, and firestick are all set to stereo. It sounds fine. My friend actually covered his head when the b52 went through while playing black ops. I have my TV hooked to a sx 1250. I like to feel the explosions.

Play the same game in surround sound 5.1 on a modern HT amp......there is no comparison. You hear people talking behind you etc, it is far more realistic.

Play the same game in surround sound 5.1 on a modern HT amp......there is no comparison. You hear people talking behind you etc, it is far more realistic.

My brother is heavy into the whole home theater thing. He has a modern marantz receiver, built all his own speakers, spent lots of $$$. I just don't like it, dialogue is too quiet, effects are way too loud, and it just doesn't sound natural. The whole surround sound thing isn't for me. Sometimes it's ok, but generally I prefer stereo.

My brother is heavy into the whole home theater thing. He has a modern marantz receiver, built all his own speakers, spent lots of $$$. I just don't like it, dialogue is too quiet, effects are way too loud, and it just doesn't sound natural. The whole surround sound thing isn't for me. Sometimes it's ok, but generally I prefer stereo.

If the dialog is too quiet, he does not have it adjusted correctly. I just bought a brand new Marantz NR 1608 and installed it (it is in the pic above) and I ran it though it's auto room correction and the sound is astonishing. Pro Logic sound with center channel for dialog has been around almost 30 years. The center channel for dialog is my favorite thing about HT. I have been running HT receivers for years and love them, but not for 2 channel music. Modern TV and movies are encoded for surround sound and just dont sound as good in two channel stereo.

I am lucky I found a way to get both systems in one entertainment center.

Zach,

You can do exactly what you want to do, and it will be a dramatic improvement over your TV speakers. Can you tell us how the rca output jacks on the back of your TV are labeled? Or post a pic or a model number? Then we can tell you which outputs to connect to the Aux In on your receiver. You can also find this info in your owner's manual.

GeeDeeEmm

TV speakers pretty much suck and two channel stereo is an improvement for sure. But to get the best out of a nice TV, even a cheap AVR will make a huge difference.

Post a picture of the available connections on your TV and we will guide you on connecting it properly.

You realize you will only have STEREO and not surround.

I would just go with a soundbar (with wireless surround if you want) and dedicate your nice vintage unit to music instead of bastardizing it (haha).

Soundbars are pretty cheap these day, take up little space and provide some decent TV sound. I have a 38" Vizio bar with wireless back satellites and small sub woofer. Works great!!

I would just go with a soundbar (with wireless surround if you want) and dedicate your nice vintage unit to music instead of bastardizing it (haha).

Soundbars are pretty cheap these day, take up little space and provide some decent TV sound. I have a 38" Vizio bar with wireless back satellites and small sub woofer. Works great!!

We have a sound bar for our bedroom TV and it works great. Dialog is a LOT easier to understand than two channel stereo.

Stop with all the negative already. Yes plug the TV into the stereo and see if you like it. TV headphone to 1280 RCA will work just fine for a test. You got power to spare with no hiss.

Right. And Zweezy wants to go with what he's got on hand. Showed no interest in sprinting out and getting more gear. Even though it would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom