Show us your vernier tuning!

Fleischer

IMG_20180712_123753.jpg I am curious as to how many tuners and receivers came with vernier tuning? It seems to me to be a neater solution than slide rule or digital tuning. Here is the one on an Advent 300. What equipment do you have with this kind of control?

Yes, vernier would have another set of graduations on the dial to be able to read off much finer increments. Check out some old school vernier calipers. Starrett Master Vernier calipers are my favorites, no batteries, no gears to get damaged and last forever with care. Just bloody expensive.

On Edit, that's called Dial tuning I believe.

BillWojo

I am assuming what davidreaton.com and multiple other sources say about the Advent 300 (and KLH Twenty-One) having vernier tuning is true. I know from my own observations that the inner tuning knobs are connected to the outer ones through gearing, and turn at a different speed. That is vernier tuning, as I understand it. Of course, if you have evidence to the contrary, and not just based on what a photo looks like to you, I would be happy to see it.

Last edited:
Whilst not a "true" vernier dial -- i.e., with a subscale for greater accuracy, like that on a micrometer -- it is a geared (or ball-bearinged) knob. Turning the outer knob results in a slow-turning inner scale.

Radio.jpg

I picked it up at a favourite restaurant, which features vintage kitsch, music-oriented, and miscellaneous household items that are also for sale. I paid £12.50, which is about £13.00 more than it's worth. Some day, I'll restore it.

From Wikipedia-
The secondary scale, which contributed extra precision, was invented in 1631 by French mathematician Pierre Vernier (1580–1637).

I added the bold. Having used many machinist tools with true verniers, I'd have to say the tuners don't qualify. Regardless, I like to see 'em!

Do radios count?

TIVOLI-PAL-RED.jpg

Back
Top Bottom