Tube friendly speakers question

grindfix

Full time hobby
Subscriber
I know most vintage Klipsch speakers are great with tubes. I own a set of original Cornwalls and they sound amazing but they are also quite sensitive. I'm curious if there are less efficient tube friendly speakers out there, both vintage or current production?
Thanks

Thought I'd give you a little bump.
The answer is...yes there are. :)
As usual, darkblue94 has the definitive answer:p
I know most vintage Klipsch speakers are great with tubes. I own a set of original Cornwalls and they sound amazing but they are also quite sensitive. I'm curious if there are less efficient tube friendly speakers out there, both vintage or current production?
Thanks
Honestly, I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone looking for less sensitive less efficient speakers for a tube amp.

I have homebuilt 23wpc tube amp that is not completely quiet. Still trying to get that figured out. Hum is barely noticeable with some 12'' JVC floor speakers I have for testing. Much more noticeable with Cornwalls. I doubt that with efficiency of Cornwalls this amp will ever run even 20% or even less of it's power. I'm thinking that less efficient tube friendly speakers might be better fit? I wouldn't know until I try

It all depends on the volume of your space, type of music, and listening level. I once had success in a near field set up with 93db sensitivity speakers and a 2 wpc SET amp. However, my current listening room would kill that sweet little amp. With 23 watts per side, I suspect you have more options than you think.

Thanks
Without_Grilles.JPG
a pair of OHM model I (eye)
Or model B2
00l0l_8wrZsxqG5x8_600x450.jpg
Or model H
26513573dv_700626.jpg
Or wpd37e7562_05_06.jpg wpb405ce2b_05_06.jpg wp51e17bda_05_06.jpg
IMG_5488.JPG

I have homebuilt 23wpc tube amp that is not completely quiet. Still trying to get that figured out. Hum is barely noticeable with some 12'' JVC floor speakers I have for testing. Much more noticeable with Cornwalls.

The reason the hum is less noticeable on the JVC speakers is that they are less able to produce low frequencies than the Cornwalls. The hum is still there, just not reproduced. Of course, that's what you said, isn't it?

I'm not an electronics guy, be forewarned, but I'll bet you are hearing the typical 60Hz hum that is usually indicative of ground problems. Did you build your amp from a kit? Repurpose an older amp?

Surely some of the electronics guys will come along to suggest how you correct the hum in the amp. That's where your problem is - not in your speakers. I'd suggest reposting with a new title to that effect in the DIY forums - "Amplifier Hum Problem," or something to that effect.

Good luck.

GeeDeeEmm

I'm not trying to find speakers to eliminate my hum issue. I will have to sort it out either way. I just think that in my smallish listening area of about 12'x12' Cornwall's efficiency will barely let amplifier to operate above idle.

I did not like Original Advents with Fisher 400 which is similar schematic and output power.

Bozak's sound fantastic with tubes .... 302b, B-313, B-401 with sub, B-301 and B-201 with sub.
Frazier Mk 4's, EV Sentry 2 or 2A .... EPI M-201/ EPI M-202 if you have a 4 ohm tap on your amp.
Most of my tube amps (home made) are around 20-25 watts which is plenty with the Bozak's, Fraziers or EV's. Speakerlab model 4 and model 6 work great if you have 30-35 tube watts.

The reason the hum is less noticeable on the JVC speakers is that they are less able to produce low frequencies than the Cornwalls. The hum is still there, just not reproduced.
I doubt the Cornwalls have any bass extension advantage over the JVC's. The reason for the difference is the difference in sensitivity, probably close to 10 db between the two which means he's getting almost 10db less hum with the JVC's.

But i do agree with you GDM, he needs to deal with the hum at it's source by chasing it down in his amp best he can. Sometimes it's as simple as re-routing small signal wires, or as you mentioned grounding issues. If i could think of something i miss about tubes, i'd mention it here. ;)

Last edited:
I'll second the JBL bookshelf suggestion, I ran some 4412 monitors with a Scott 299c, very nice and plenty loud too.

Back
Top Bottom