Recommendation for full range floor standing speaker

Normo

Is there a musical sounding floor standing speaker with true musical information in the low end. Many speakers drop off in the low 30 hz range. Are there any out there that go deeper? Do they use enclosed sub woofers? Thanks. Norm

Is there a musical sounding floor standing speaker with true musical information in the low end. Many speakers drop off in the low 30 hz range. Are there any out there that go deeper? Do they use enclosed sub woofers? Thanks. Norm
I think the FOCAL Grande Utopia is a good one to look at.

It would have to be < 5K new or used, though after the first two speakers mentioned, I think used is a necessity. Norm

wpd37e7562_05_06.jpg wp775fa737_05_06.jpg
And they can go Lower with a Sub Bass Activator Available still from www.ohmacoustics.com

The vintage OHM model I (eye)

A good sub or two might be the better option these days. Even for 5k, extension at useful levels down to 20 Hz is going to be difficult to come by.

There's not a lot of "true musical information" below 30hz, electronic yes.

Yup--unless you are into pipe organ or heavy electronica, there's not much below 30 Hz (if you are even capable of hearing it). You'll feel it or "sense" it, but not usefully discern anything relevant.

A "full range speaker" implies a a single driver that runs full range. But I don't think you mean full range in that sense. Correct?

Last edited:
I am not referring to a single driver, you are right.
Has any one heard any of the golden ear technology speakers? Their web site seems to imply that they have full range with their enclosures. Norm

It just so happens I've been 'helping' a friend try to 'spec' a new modest HT system, and it's come down to the same topic.
(But with no good candidates, either.)

Also, I've recently made some upgrades, and have changed my thoughts about 'full range' & subs...so a timely post.

I'm finding a lot of tracks that have a surprising amount of content below, say, 40hz; it makes a Huge difference to have the main speakers handle that, esp cleanly and sharply. (Can also be heard, even at low levels, at the other end of the house!).

Granted, most of those tracks are new ('born DSD'), organ or electronica, but just normal bass and drums 'have it' too, if they are well mic'd. (Pat Barbers' Café Blue 'unmastered' CD, for example.)

SO. My new thinking is to aim for full range main speakers that can do an 'honest' 30hz, and look into subs (servo) that can do the power reinforcement and extension from, say, 10-15 hz to say 50hz.
My current (non-servo) sub doesn't go that low, but does have the reinforcement thing down pat. I've got it set now to just 20hz - 45hz.
(PS Audio has a few useful YT clips about servo-subs.)
Problem is finding full rangers that will go that low, cleanly and loudly.
JBL M2 and 4367s will do it, but out of your budget range.
PS. I have GE centerXL and surrounds. I like them very much, and are extremely well made.
I listened to one of their early towers (I think the 3rd gen top of the line, not the current TOTL) and was reasonably impressed, but wasn't thinking about sub integration at the time. Also not horn speakers, which I have a fondness for.
Good luck - interesting challenge.

There's not a lot of "true musical information" below 30hz, electronic yes.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

With live recordings, especially classical recordings in large halls, most of the hall ambiance is recorded in the low bass. Even the sense of hearing the sound of the room, is in that sub bass reproduction.

Set up a good system, that uses a well balanced subwoofer. Now, cue up a good live recording. Listen for ambient sounds, reverb and echo. Then have a friend turn the sub off, as you listen. It seems like the sound stage collapse's. Most of that ambiance is lost. Not good. And even more reason to find full range speakers or decent subs.

One thing to keep in mind is that there may not be much fundamental content in music below about 40Hz, but there are harmonics that play a big role in how the system sounds, which is what StimpyWan is getting at, above.

"Full range" mains can mean different things to different people, it seems. True, full-range mains with decent output must be very large and/or very expensive or require a lot of amplifier power due to their inefficiency to counter-act their lack of physical size.

Properly positioned and integrated subwoofers (of good quality, not crappy, fart-boxes) can really make huge a difference in the room and speaker shortcomings.

Do you have any room or budget restrictions?

you do realize 'full range' 20-20,000 hz is room dependent don't you ? Having capable speaker(s) is also dependent on amplification as well.

I would look into Tekton speakers. I have the Pendragons and they have plenty of bass and would definitely qualify as musical.

Back
Top Bottom