Bookshelf Speakers vs. Floorstanding Speakers

Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg The last speaker I liked on a Stand was a Beovox 5700 using very famous Celestion tweeter and midrange Phillips woofer and passive radiator. They were about 93 db 1 watt and less than 2% distortion at 10 watts as I remember.B&O made a Version and Celestion made a floor standing unit using their own drivers. I liked to stack the 5700 three high horizontally. Driving them with a MC 2300 for Demos when people wanted something loud but didn't Like Klipsch, JBl or Altec. But I still preferred ML-4's for bass below 100 HZ, Their midrange and lower tweeters weren't bad but their super tweeters couldn't comptete with the Celestion tweeters and that big Celestion Dome was fantastic.

Last edited:
Great discussion...it seems my question hit on a real concern that folks have... from my perspective I think I am trying to work through whether I am a bookshelf guy strictly or whether I can find a floorstander that fits my (rather specific) needs.

The Martin Logans continue to sound a tad bright...going to give them a few more hours of break in before making any rash decisions, but I am having very mixed opinons so far.

The more time I've spent with my skinny little towers, the greater my respect and appreciation of their strengths grow.

That said, I love my Forte, also.

Cost was not the reason for manufacturers going with skinny towers. They offer many advantages over the wide baffled speakers in terms of imaging and smoothness in response. For one, the drivers are symmetrical in the verticle plane which greatly improves horizontal dispersion compared to the cock-eyed driver placements of some of the old wide baffled speakers. I never understood why manufactures opted for that kind of driver placement.

Well...I have decided that the Martin Logans are not for me...they are very fast and dynamic speakers, but for me they were just a little bit too bright up top. Called Crutchfield and am going to exchange for a pair of Wharfedale Reva 3's. 8ohm compatible and should have that warm British sound that I like. Ordered them in Piano Deep Rosewood. Should have them tomorrow. The quest continues... :)

Attachments

• g336REVA3RW-F.jpg
    g336REVA3RW-F.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 29
Well...I have decided that the Martin Logans are not for me...they are very fast and dynamic speakers, but for me they were just a little bit too bright up top. Called Crutchfield and am going to exchange for a pair of Wharfedale Reva 3's. 8ohm compatible and should have that warm British sound that I like. Ordered them in Piano Deep Rosewood. Should have them tomorrow. The quest continues... :)

I'll definitely be interested in your impression of those Reva's. Mine are only in their Diamond line, but I don't find them the least bit bright. The towers I bought are replacing some older Klipsch KG floor standers, if you want to talk 'bright'. :beerchug:

Yes...looking forward to them. The Motions were interesting...a very distinct sound unlike any other speaker I've heard. Must be the ribbon tweeter...Obviously not totally to my taste but I certainly can see why they have their fans. I've had Wharfedale Dentons for over two years and I love them...if the Revas sound like them but just kicked up a few notches, I think we might have a winner...guess we'll see!

Interesting development, good thread. Looking almost as forward to reading your take on the Reva as you are their arrival, Tin Bird. :thumbsup:

Well, the Revas arrived first thing this morning... have had them hooked up for a few hours. If ever there were speakers that are the exact opposite of the Motion 20s, these would be them. Very polite, relaxed, ear friendly presentation...of course only a few hours in, but the highs and mids do sound nice. However, I literally can barely hear any bass at all. Plan to experiment w placement a bit to see if it makes a difference but as of now I am disappointed with that aspect of the speaker. Very thin sounding. They use the same bottom ported design as the 230s... Weirdly, they are rated to go down to 40 where the Motion 20s only went down to 46, but the Motions had WAY more bass presence. I know the tracks well that I have played through the Revas so far and the bass is borderline anemic. Unless things perk up, they will be returned. So far, a disappointment. BTW The Dentons actually sound fuller than these speakers and they are rated to go down to 44. Odd. If I could find a speaker w a warm top end like the Revas, matched with the present bass of the Motion 20s, I think I would be happy. Does such a beast exist?

Truth be told, I just purchased a pair of Polk S55 floorstanding speakers yesterday and am trying to come to terms w the bass levels. My main speakers for the past few years had been the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary bookshelf speakers. That is until I picked up a pair of used Polk S20s from fleabay. They sounded so good I decided to check out the rest of the line. These S55s sound incredible, but they put out a LOT of bass...they go down to 32 and I am not used to it. Like I said, sensitive ears and all...but damn if these don't sound so incredible I think I am going to give them a week or so to break in before passing judgement. Perhaps my ears can adjust during that time as well.

Or you might consider reducing the amount of lower frequencies with an EQ....

Or you might consider reducing the amount of lower frequencies with an EQ....
The OP returned the original purchase and is now on his 3'rd or 4'th set. This set is anemic in the bass department.

To the OP: you say the Denton's have fuller bass than the Reva's which actually go lower.
Could it be the Denton's have a little bump in certain low frequencies while the Reva's are flat and you actually prefer that boost?

I notice BTW that some people for one reason or another avoid ANY EQ like the plague.

Last edited:
The OP returned the original purchase and is now on his 3'rd or 4'th set. This set is anemic in the bass department.

To the OP: you say the Denton's have fuller bass than the Reva's which actually go lower.
Could it be the Denton's have a little bump in certain low frequencies while the Reva's are flat and you actually prefer that boost?

I notice BTW that some people for one reason or another avoid ANY EQ like the plague.
I think it is possible that the Dentons have a mid-bass bump which makes them sound warmer and fuller. So, I think you are right that I like that sound. I am not interested in getting a sub or EQ...although I appreciate the advice! :) I am using an integrated that does have tone controls, so I may try turning them on and toggling up the bass a notch or two and see what effect that has. They are wired correctly for sure...it really is odd how little bass they have though. I agree they need breaking in so I want to give them some more time. They are very, very beautiful speakers. I will try to get a pic later on and post.

However, I literally can barely hear any bass at all.
...as of now I am disappointed with that aspect of the speaker. Very thin sounding.
Unless things perk up, they will be returned.
So far, a disappointment.

Advise you dump the pair forthwith. If you don't fall in love at first, er, listen with a set of speakers, you ain't never gonna. Move on, more fish in the sea.

Agree, some people do.....of course not all EQ’s are created equal. Just like speakers and amps are not the same....but speakers with an over abundance of frequencies need to be tamed.

I just realized I can't use the Yamaha 31-band stereo EQ I snagged off CL a couple weeks ago. My line levels for my home theater/two-channel music are in a remote equipment room. My other systems are receivers fed by digital sources (optical, coax, and HDMI) with no externally accessible line level signals going to the amps. Hmm...

Back
Top Bottom