KA 3500

Bodyblue

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just like when I decided to get back into vintage receivers (I bought a KR 4600) I decided that a Kenwood would be a great choice in getting an vintage integrated amp. After looking around locally for several months, I finally decided on eBay since there was not much choice around here. I had a fat coupon for eBay bucks so I got the unit for almost nothing. The unit arrives tomorrow, coming all the way across the country from North Carolina to California.

Here is the unit as pictured, so lets hope it arrives in the same condition as the pic!

s-l1600.jpg

The amp arrived a bit ago in great condition. I was thinking about getting the matching tuner but I remembered my KR 4600 has pre outs and a superb tuner so that was an easy choice. The 40 clean watts are driving the Pioneer CS 88s nicely. Seems to be a great amp so far.

20180712_164003.jpg

20180712_165004.jpg

Attachments

• 20180712_164947.jpg
    20180712_164947.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
Schveet little amp, my brother purchased one new back in 78 I believe, I purchased the KA-7100 and KT-6500 tuner.

It was for our bedroom so I decided 40 watts was perfect. It drive the sensitive CS88s very nicely. I have always liked Kenwood stuff, too bad they left the home audio market in the US. My KR 4600 is really,really tired but the tuner is better than anything else have except for my Marantz 2230.

but I remembered my KR 4600 has pre outs and a superb tuner so that was an easy choice. The 40 clean watts are driving the Pioneer CS 88s nicely. Seems to be a great amp so far.

So you're connecting the KR-4600 preouts to a KA-3500 which has no main in input? I'd assume you're using a Tape, Aux or Tuner input on the 3500? Maybe you're already aware, and while it will work, it's not really a recommended way to connect components.

So you're connecting the KR-4600 preouts to a KA-3500 which has no main in input? I'd assume you're using a Tape, Aux or Tuner input on the 3500? Maybe you're already aware, and while it will work, it's not really a recommended way to connect components.

LOL, I will take that under advisement. The receiver out putting a signal and that signal being received by the tuner input on the amp causes no problems.

LOL, I will take that under advisement. The receiver out putting a signal and that signal being received by the tuner input on the amp causes no problems.
I think I would try tape out to tape in, then use the volume control on the 3500, less garbage in line with the signal.

Correct BUT No, no he didn't want to be helped.

Because there is zero need for help. The tuner signal comes through with plenty of gain and as clear as non HD FM can be. The gain is higher on the tuner than the Spotify signal (with the source tablet at full volume) and about the same as the phono output. I have two systems hooked up in the same room and I turned on my Sony STR 5800SD and the signal is the same. The Sony's tuner is less sensitive than the KR 4600s but there is no difference in output.

If there was a problem or some sound issue then I would consider changing the way I have it hooked up, but at least with this system, there is no problem to be had.

I think I would try tape out to tape in, then use the volume control on the 3500, less garbage in line with the signal.

I am using the volume control on the 3500, I am not sure what you think I am doing. The KR 4600 is outputting the tuner signal at the same level, the volume control on the 4600 has ZERO effect on the output.....it just outputs at the same level.

the volume control on the 4600 has ZERO effect on the output.....it just outputs at the same level.
The KR-4600/5600/6600 and 7600 don't have pre-outs. The only receiver in that line with pre-outs is the KR-9600. I assume you're using the "adapter" jacks, which are before the control section - same as on the KR-6600/7600. Originally intended for external Quad or Dolby NR adapters.

Pictures showing the volume control at zero on the 4600 and full output to the amp. Just a simple interconnect out from receiver to the Tuner input, works exactly like a regular tuner .

20180713_110238.jpg

20180713_110238.jpg 20180713_110308.jpg

The KR-4600/5600/6600 and 7600 don't have pre-outs. The only receiver in that line with pre-outs is the KR-9600. I assume you're using the "adapter" jacks, which are before the control section - same as on the KR-6600/7600. Originally intended for external Quad or Dolby NR adapters.

Yep, that is what it says, when I pulled the jumpers out of them my brain was thinking "pre-outs". Sorry for the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom