160watts 8 ohms /200 , 4 ohms watts vs 100 watts 8 ohms / 200 watts , 4 ohms

qguy

Which would be better to drive a loudspeaker with a rating of 87 db with 3 ohms minimum (Alon Model IV)

Pioneer SX-1250 receiver - 8 ohms, 160 watts / 4 ohms, 200 watts
Aragon 2004 - 8 ohms ,100 watts / 4 ohms, 200 watts

Last edited:
The Aragon will stomp all over that Pioneer--especially under a difficult load. I have owned two Aragon 2004's and still own two Aragon 4004's. I used both to drive Infinity Kappa 9's that drop below 1 ohm and they remained stable.

The Aragon will stomp all over that Pioneer--especially under a difficult load. I have owned two Aragon 2004's and still own two Aragon 4004's. I used both to drive Infinity Kappa 9's that drop below 1 ohm and they remained stable.
I thought the SX-1250 was unstompable! Not designed for lower than 4 ohm loads? Wow, this is like hearing King Kong cannot bench press 500 lbs. :(
(Note: I do not own an SX-1250 but have come to respect it via the grapevine).

I thought the SX-1250 was unstompable!

The SX-1250 is certainly no slouch, but wattage and current capabilities are two different animals (I know--Ohm's law and all the physics), but I paired the K9's with two Carver M 4.0t amps--375 wpc/8 ohm (biamped) and they went into protection faster than you could blink. They run fine on Aragons, and in their current set-up, being driven by four Krell KMA 160's--a mere 160w each @ 8 ohms, but factory rated at 1280w each @ 1 ohm, and (as per the factory manual), can be "tweaked" to operate below 1 ohm. Granted, they weigh ~100lbs each, draw 8A current (each) at idle, have capacitors the size of beer cans, and you can cook eggs on them after an hour of idle operation, but it is what it is.

So even if their both are delivering 200 watts into 4 ohms, the Aragons will provide more current ?

I don't think the 2004 is enough amp either... Why side-step?

The move is certainly not a "side-step". Just pop the hood and look. The simple fact that the manufacturer states a minimal increase in power rating @4 ohms vs the 8 ohm power rating says a lot. An amp that truly "doubles down" as impedance is halved has "got the goods" to back it up.

Why is the 2004 a poor choice?

It is not. It is a "baby Krell", basically designed and parts spec'd by Dan D'Agostino (of Krell). Pop the hood and look.

I was asking silentnet why he considered it a poor choice. Looks to me, at least on paper, that it could do a better job with lower impedance loads. The 1250 is a very good sounding (and very well-built) amp, but I don't think the handling of difficult loads was a primary design objective. For most speakers, it is a fine choice. For more difficult speakers, perhaps not as much.

To the OP: Did you ever resolve your issue with one channel of the 1250 being louder than the other? I suggested a couple of approaches for determining if the output is truly different (vs a function of placement and varying levels of room reinforcement), but never got a response.

The left channel was stronger than the right channel, which was weird cause the Right channel speakers were near the corner, which should improve the bass response. Anyways, it may have been the loose banana plugs as when i dropped a piece of cardboard and hit the speaker wires, the plugs came loose. I removed the banana plugs and now using bare wire and the sounds is balance. Will copy this post this in that thread

To the OP: Did you ever resolve your issue with one channel of the 1250 being louder than the other? I suggested a couple of approaches for determining if the output is truly different (vs a function of placement and varying levels of room reinforcement), but never got a response.

The move is certainly not a "side-step". Just pop the hood and look. The simple fact that the manufacturer states a minimal increase in power rating @4 ohms vs the 8 ohm power rating says a lot. An amp that truly "doubles down" as impedance is halved has "got the goods" to back it up.

I was asking silentnet why he considered it a poor choice. Looks to me, at least on paper, that it could do a better job with lower impedance loads. The 1250 is a very good sounding (and very well-built) amp, but I don't think the handling of difficult loads was a primary design objective. For most speakers, it is a fine choice. For more difficult speakers, perhaps not as much.

Here's the crux of it (emphasis mine). I have a 1250 and it does not do that great with 4 ohm loads such as the AR9s. Doesn't make it a bad amp. It just wasn't designed with that type of performance in mind.

Keep in mind you're usually not using all 200 watts. The performance (i.e. ability to deliver current when demanded) has to be there everywhere from .01W to 200W. Some amps are better at driving low impedance loads, regardless of volume setting. It's like comparing a bread truck to a sport sedan. They both do things they were designed to do, but they don't necessarily do other things very well, regardless of what speed you're going.

Here's the crux of it (emphasis mine). I have a 1250 and it does not do that great with 4 ohm loads such as the AR9s. Doesn't make it a bad amp. It just wasn't designed with that type of performance in mind.

THANK YOU!!! My point was never to "dis" the SX-1250--it is a very competent receiver, but it was never intended to drive speakers like the OP has--or my Apogees, Infinities, or Maggies--all of which are "difficult", even for a good amp. It would blow the doors off with my JBL or Klipsch (or CV's, but I don't have any right now).

I am not into receivers (per se), but I have a Yammie CR-2020 and CR-3020 and wouldn't expect them to drive Kappa 9's.

Again, I was asking silentnet what his basis was for concluding that the Aragorn is a "sidestep".

Back
Top Bottom