some info on this pioneer speakers(see pic)

8"

from another site

"Here's some info on these speakers. They are a good quality bass-reflex floorstander made chiefly for the Japanese market. The Pioneer speaker division by the late 80s, early 90s, had retreated from selling widely on global markets but was still producing excellent stuff (made in Japan) for the home market. Some of these speakers turned up occasionally outside of Japan -- mainly as demonstration models mainly at Pioneer stockists -- and I've seen them sell for between US$250 -- $400 on auction sites.

They can handle ALOT of power -- up to 160 watts RMS and your amp should be a minimum of 40 watts RMS.
3-way, 3-speaker system with an 8" (20cm) woofer, a 3" (7.5cm) midrange, and a 2.5" (6.5 cm) cone tweeter.
Good bottom end with a frequency response of 35hz -- 20khz.
They are 6ohms with sensitivity of 88db/w.
Dimensions are 800h x 270w x 320d and they weigh approx 12kg each.

Sound: Excellent!"

he means
6 ohms is going to need more power than 8 ohms
and
that 88db is not an efficient speaker
they will need a good amp to make them sound their best

Based on what orsen posted above if you have enough power to run them (small receivers should use caution) then go for it.
I don't know exactly how much power would be needed, depends on your room, your music choices, and volume levels desired.

Based on what orsen posted above if you have enough power to run them (small receivers should use caution) then go for it.
I don't know exactly how much power would be needed, depends on your room, your music choices, and volume levels desired.

its for a small bedroom...

If orsen is correct on what they go for, and these are significantly less, then maybe I'd at least go listen and look.

If they really are "decent" and what orsen posted wasn't just flowery marketing, seems like a cheap Japan only speaker would be worth a listen if close by?

They are not small bedroom speakers, they will take up a lot of space and will require a powerful amp to get decent sound from them. Unless they are $50 or under there has to be some better options.

what you mean whit these are significantly less?

The whole sentence begins with "if." If the speaker is worth a few hundred, and if the seller were asking a lot less, then they might be worth a look. If you don't like the way they sound, and if you have a market for them then you could profit and upgrade your speaker choices, or buy the baby new shoes. :)

I always chuckle when people report "These speakers can handle a LOT of power." What does that mean? It doesn't even tell you whether you get a lot of music for your gobs of power. It's like saying "This car can use a LOT of gas" or "This vacuum can pull a lot of amps!" Not really a selling point. :dunno:

I always chuckle when people report "These speakers can handle a LOT of power." What does that mean? It doesn't even tell you whether you get a lot of music for your gobs of power. It's like saying "This car can use a LOT of gas" or "This vacuum can pull a lot of amps!" Not really a selling point. :dunno:

And a sort of corollary to that, people looking for new speakers that will handle the power of a specific amp/receiver. Is sound a concern at all? Often doesn't read that way. More like, I've got all these extra watts I'm not using, seems to be the theory.

There's very little understanding of anything other than 'watts'. Perpetuated by the fact that mass marketers spend a lot of ink on watts and not very much on sensitivity, load impedance, etc.

There's very little understanding of anything other than 'watts'. Perpetuated by the fact that mass marketers spend a lot of ink on watts and not very much on sensitivity, load impedance, etc.
Luckily, I know what's watt! Each of my speakers is 125 watts and my amp is 100 watts per channel. So, I have 450 watts total!! :rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom