Would these monoblocks and this preamp be a good pairing?

Chiliarches

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Looking to get some tubes on my Klipsch Cornwalls. I will be purchasing a pair of the Audio Note Kit 300B parallel monoblocks, which I found a good deal on -

http://www.ankaudiokits.com/Legend-300B-Power-Tube-Amplifier.html

The seller also has this preamp - a Classe 30 - which has the features I am interested in (chiefly, a remote) -

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/classe-audio/thirty.shtml

What do you think of the pairing? If it's not so hot, what preamp would you recommend? The key is a remote, but I'd love to have tone controls (or a tape loop to add tone controls if necessary), and a phono stage is also a plus...this Classe checks all the boxes.

Thanks for the help!

Guessing folks here do not have experience with these particular pieces. I know I do not have experience with modern stuff.

Those AN monos are quite expensive. The seller if he is local should allow you to try them in your system or at least allow you to audition them. I have no experience with those amps but would suggest some caution if it seems that the price is too low, which suggests some problem. Although there is the widow selling her husbands audio stuff or divorcee getting rid of the audio equipment with no idea of its value.

I can only add that the Classe integrated amplifier I own is hardly what I would call "transparent." It is grainy and vague; like listening through a fog. I use it for a backup of last resort. Add tone controls and you might as well tape pillows over your ears.

Those AN monos are quite expensive. The seller if he is local should allow you to try them in your system or at least allow you to audition them. I have no experience with those amps but would suggest some caution if it seems that the price is too low, which suggests some problem. Although there is the widow selling her husbands audio stuff or divorcee getting rid of the audio equipment with no idea of its value.

It’s a Hifi shop, but not local, so an audition would be tough. The “good deal” part is just my opinion.

I already have them reserved -
http://echohifi.com/details/12545/Audio-Note_300b-Legend-Monoblock

I can only add that the Classe integrated amplifier I own is hardly what I would call "transparent." It is grainy and vague; like listening through a fog. I use it for a backup of last resort. Add tone controls and you might as well tape pillows over your ears.

Well that’s no good! :confused:

Do you have something else you could recommend?

Why not look out for a matching AN preamp? I realise that they are not cheap, and may not have a remote.

Why not look out for a matching AN preamp? I realise that they are not cheap, and may not have a remote.

Yeah, they don’t do remotes. :(

I went with the Classe after talking to their tech guy a bit more. The price was right.

We’ll see how it goes!

Do you have something else you could recommend?
In the interest of compatibility you should spend roughly the same amount on the preamp as you do your amplifiers. If you can do that it would open up a long list of acceptable modern preamps. I would guess that Audio Research would be a good choice to balance the very smooth and lush tendencies of a 300b tube.

Back
Top Bottom