Good tube literature

Hey, I received my copy of "Building" Valve amplifiers by Morgan Jones yesterday. NO MATH NO MATH did I mention NO MATH

i take it you hate math :scratch2: ?me too :thmbsp: sounds like my kind of book.

I just realized yesterday, what a valuable tool the "Uglys" electrical handbook can be. I've used it for years at work, for motor data and wire sizing, but there is a ton of electronics stuff in it too. Color codes for resistors and mica caps, etc...... They are available for about 10 bucks at any electrical supply house. Jay

KB9KXH said:
there is a wealth of old tube manuals whos copywrites have expired to be found at http://www.pmillett.com/tecnical_books_online.htm

Holly smokes! Many of the books listed here were trading between collectors for big $$ only a few years ago. Maybe they still do, I'm not in that loop anymore. Anyway, I'm soooo happy to see this site! Now if someone would just get all the back issues of "Audio Engineering" on-line I'll never get any work done, or sleep at night....:thmbsp:

I may have found the book I've been looking for. It's telling me stuff I need to know, and hasn't lost me yet. :banana:

Tu-be or not Tu-be

Modification manual for vacuum tube electronics.

By H I Eisenson and the Audio Dimensions staff

I found mine on epay. This is a really good book for solder slingers. :thmbsp:

Here's another good one, especially for folks who need a little extra help. It has detailed instructions on substituting tubes. It tells you the wiring changes needed etc...... for say, swapping a nine pin min for an octal, or vise versa. Major tube rolling possibilities without flipping back and forth through a tube manual. :thmbsp: Also has sections on power TXs, how to handle differing filament currents, etc.......

Receiving Tube Substitution Guide Book by H.A. Middleton

BTW, there seems to be a flood of good "old" tube lit on the (you know where) lately, and it's going pretty cheep. Maybe spring cleaning time. :dunno:

jaymanaa said:
Here's another good one, especially for folks who need a little extra help. It has detailed instructions on substituting tubes. It tells you the wiring changes needed etc...... for say, swapping a nine pin min for an octal, or vise versa. Major tube rolling possibilities without flipping back and forth through a tube manual. :thmbsp: Also has sections on power TXs, how to handle differing filament currents, etc.......

Receiving Tube Substitution Guide Book by H.A. Middleton

BTW, there seems to be a flood of good "old" tube lit on the (you know where) lately, and it's going pretty cheep. Maybe spring cleaning time. :dunno:

PAYDIRT!! Thanks...

Hi, It was suggested to me a couple weeks ago on this forum to check my RCA receiving tube manual for some data I was looking for. Not only did I not have one, I didn't know such a thing existed! Well, after a little e-baying I now have two (a 1947 and a 1968). I wish I had known about these 8 months ago. What a wealth of practical down to earth tube data. I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where members could list literature that has been helpful to them. My list would go as follows.

Boozehound Labs Hi-Fi Primer
Valve Amplifiers Third Edition (Morgan Jones)
Principals of Power (Kevin O'Conner)

I've read more, but these stand out, what are some of your favorites? Jay

If you liked the tube manuals... you might want to try a 4th Edition of Radiotron Designers handbook.

Hi tube collector!!
I am looking for a 6ca6 for a single-ended amp.
I have found no references... I checked Antique electronic supply with no luck. Can you help? Thanks peter

RCA tube manuals were yearly productions. As newer issues were published (with new tube releases), some of the older tube data would be dropped out or condensed depending on the popularity of tube types at that time. The RCA Tube Manual #RC-30 was copywrited in 1975 and is one of the most current and available as a reprint through AES. They also carry the reprint of RC-19, copywrited 1959.
Some obscure or limited run tube types may only be in one manual only or not at all. If you have a Zenith Transoceanic for instance with the 1L6 forget it..Sylvania was the leading producer of this tube and you will find it in their tube manual for example.
So it's good to have a span of tube manuals depending on what you are most into...and then again, they are good reads too!

Back
Top Bottom