Dateline,20/20 Homicide,48 hours

qdrone

Music is my mistress
I DVR these shows a lot and watch them more than I should. What worries me is 70% of the time a person is found guilty of murder I thought they were innocent!
I'm I the only one with this perspective?

I DVR these shows a lot and watch them more than I should. What worries me is 70% of the time a person is found guilty of murder I thought they were innocent!
I'm I the only one with this perspective?

I don’t have to watch this stuff. It is part of my job. I think what you are experiencing is the way these shows are directed. They are leading you to your “innocent” verdict, then they surprise you at the end.

“Real news” had us believing those Duke LaCrosse players were guilty, until it was revealed that the district attorney was withholding a key piece of evidence. :rolleyes:

I don’t have to watch this stuff. It is part of my job. I think what you are experiencing is the way these shows are directed. They are leading you to your “innocent” verdict, then they surprise you at the end.

“Real news” had us believing those Duke LaCrosse players were guilty, until it was revealed that the district attorney was withholding a key piece of evidence. :rolleyes:
Good point. Thanks.

With the amount of people released from prison from newly found DNA evidence and we are talking hundreds of people it’s no wonder people are naturally skeptical.

I luv these docu investigation shows. There are the cold cases based on new DNA evidence. Those are my favs. But usually the shows are directed to 1 guilty person where there is not enough evidence to support that or still ongoing investigations to find more evidence. And then usually you hear both sides of the parties cast their views and opinions of the given crime that has been committed.

The problem I have with interagation protocol is law enforcement are allowed under law to fabricate lies as the truth. They can say we found the murder weapon in your car covered in the victim's blood to a suspect when it's not true. If I have learned anything is the minute they start lying to you Lawyer up.

The problem I have with interagation protocol is law enforcement are allowed under law to fabricate lies as the truth. They can say we found the murder weapon in your car covered in the victim's blood to a suspect when it's not true. If I have learned anything is the minute they start lying to you Lawyer up.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact trickery is upheld by the Supreme Court. If a suspect is dumb enough to incriminate himself based on a lie, so be it. That said, most times they don’t have to lie. They just offer them a deal to give up other members of the crime.

People shouldn't be guilty just because they're not as smart or are considered "dumb". This is maybe why dna is releasing and convicting so many.

I see a dark room and a bright light.

People shouldn't be guilty just because they're not as smart or are considered "dumb". This is maybe why dna is releasing and convicting so many.

I see a dark room and a bright light.

Why not? If they were smart, they would not be in that situation in the first place.

It’s funny these people you refer to watch enough TV that a lot of them like to say an officer did not read the Miranda warning when they arrested the subject. (They don’t have to, if they are not questioning them). Yet they have not learned enough from TV to shut up and ask for a lawyer.

When you see some dateline type story about an innocent person being incarcerated, media likes to make it sound like it is rampant. It is by far the exception, not the rule.

I remember the news talking heads saying that DA Nafong(?) could lose his job over that affair. Lose his job? Why wasn't he tossed in the pokey for conspiring to jail people he knew were innocent?

I remember the news talking heads saying that DA Nafong(?) could lose his job over that affair. Lose his job? Why wasn't he tossed in the pokey for conspiring to jail people he knew were innocent?

Evidently that is not a felony crime, but rather breaking the rules of law. He was disbarred.

He was jailed for one night for contempt. He was later sued by the players and he filed bankruptcy.

Former Durham DA Nifong was disbarred. His "protege", Tracy Cline, later became DA and and then was forced out of office for "misconduct". The LaCrosse players weren't exactly model athletes as they demonstrated little respect for women. However, they were innocent of Nifong's charges. Nifong was also involved in another case where he withheld evidence and a man was in jail for murder for over 20 years before the case was overturned.

Back on topic, I'm guilty of watching "48 Hours", etc. The new "48 Hours NCIS" is interesting but I can't stand Marcia Clark.

Roger

Nothing wrong with that. In fact trickery is upheld by the Supreme Court. If a suspect is dumb enough to incriminate himself based on a lie, so be it. That said, most times they don’t have to lie. They just offer them a deal to give up other members of the crime.
My point was if your innocent and interrogators start lying to you lawyer up.

If I am innocent, and law enforcement comes to my door, the only words out of my mouth are, “I want my lawyer”. :D
Unless they have a warrant they cannot enter your home. If Police ever ask you to come outside to talk don't. As soon as you step out your front door they can take you away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom