Albums best listened to, start to finish?

Once you've listened to the White Album with a headful of acid, you'll never be able to hear it song-by-song again. I discovered this as a teenager and I still never put it on unless I have time to listen to it in its entirety.

Once you've listened to the White Album with a headful of acid, you'll never be able to hear it song-by-song again. I discovered this as a teenager and I still never put it on unless I have time to listen to it in its entirety.

I remember dropping acid when I was, like, 11, and putting the white album on in the middle of a blizzard. It was a snow day, no school. (EDIT: Not really. ha)

Then, last year, when I heard it for the first time in mono, I was, like, oh, crap... I heard it all wrong.

Last edited:
IMO any good record needs to be played in its entirety. Not doing so is like reading a chapter of a book.
Since everyone has different tastes it's tough to recommend what YOU might like.
Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" is somewhat of a hard/punk rock opera like The Who's "Quadrophenia" and if you don't have time to play it all save it until you do. Luna "Live" is quite a trip as well.

Mike Oldfield did album compositions.
Tubular Bells being one of the best.
Five Miles Out is good too.
I have heard all his stuff.

All versions of Tommy need to be enjoyed all the way through.

Alan Parsons I Robot flows well.

The first Narareth LP was a good set laid out well.

I know we sometimes get used to a song order when listening to albums we like a lot. 99% of pop/rock records really don't have a song order like telling a story or anything like that. Most album song order had more to do with how it can fit on the record than anything. It's funny sometimes when title tracks are the last song on a side or #3. It's easy to find them at #1 but placing them @ #2 or #3 is more optimum for geometry tracking of a tone arm.

You go to a live show of a band and their new album is being promoted, they don't play it in the records order. Not to mention the fact they also play songs from other albums in no specific order.

I listen to a record as songs I like and may skip around and even take a break and play half or a few songs of something else.

I do know records I have played ad nauseam over my life and might let them play though, yeah they are predictable and I know what's coming next. How boring is that? Go buy a title you never heard and get out of the rut of predictability.

Isaac Hayes: Hot Buttered Soul
Love Unlimited: From a Girl's Point of View We Bring You.....
The Love Unlimited Orchestra: White Gold
Phyllis Hyman: Living All Alone
Shalamar: Three For Love

Most Pink Floyd albums
Most Rush albums
A Love Supreme
What's Going On
Fragile
+1 on Tales of Mystery and Imagination, Tommy, and Quadrophenia
Jean-Michel Jarre: Oxygen, Equinoxe

Back
Top Bottom