Yamaha NS-2000 1st Impressions

haven't yet had the priviledge to listen to any of them, but looking at the specs, I would say the NS-2000 is the way to go if you want the thump

Surprising but if the specs are to be believed then it seems to be the case! The only thing I can guess is that the extra three to four $k for the 10000's buys you some serious mid-range magic.

Surprising but if the specs are to be believed then it seems to be the case! The only thing I can guess is that the extra three to four $k for the 10000's buys you some serious mid-range magic.
Possibly, but if nothing else, it certainly gets you some bragging rights.

Hifido will ship a fully tested pair directly to your house for only a couple hundred more than his starting bid and the finish will be "never been molested".

Hifido will ship a fully tested pair directly to your house for only a couple hundred more than his starting bid and the finish will be "never been molested".
You may be able to if you are lucky enough to have an inside track at HiFiDo. Most highly desirable items are sold long before they make it on the website

I had to wait about 2 months on HiFiDo before I was able to snag a pair. And it was another couple months for another pair showed up. sometimes I'd find a pair but it would already have the "Hold" or "RSVD" tag on them.

You may be able to if you are lucky enough to have an inside track at HiFiDo. Most highly desirable items are sold long before they make it on the website

There is the issue of waiting...but if you ask them to add you to the waiting list you have a strong chance of grabbing a pair.

I noticed you have both NSX-10000 and NS-2000 listed in your sig. Any thoughts on how they compare?

Honestly I can’t remember the exact details as to the comparison between the NSX-10000 and the NS-2000 but I believe I wrote something about it when I had both pairs side by side. You may be able to find something in the archives But I do remember I was not overly impressed with the NSX-10000’s and thats why I sold them, I had 2 pair at one time. I remember there being a slight advantage to the 10000’s but not enough for the $6000/pair price difference and I would be lying if I told you I can remember exactly what that difference was. My favorite Yamaha Speaker of all time is the FX-1’s, they are my daily drivers....compliments of HiFiDo about 10 years ago

I had to wait about 2 months on HiFiDo before I was able to snag a pair. And it was another couple months for another pair showed up. sometimes I'd find a pair but it would already have the "Hold" or "RSVD" tag on them.
That was actually pretty fast; it actually seems from looking over the SOLD listings there have been quite a few NS-2000’s up for sale over the last few years. When I was buying a lot from HiFiDo which was between 5 and 10 years ago I would get an email from my salesman about every 2 weeks for what was coming up for sale in the near future. Whatever I wanted he would hold for me and then it would appear on the website in a few weeks even though it was already sold; but it wasn’t marked as sold. About a week later it would show HOLD or RSRVD or SOLD. I think they just did it this way to keep interest up on the site. They may do things differently now since I know my salesman is no longer there.

Honestly I can’t remember the exact details as to the comparison between the NSX-10000 and the NS-2000 but I believe I wrote something about it when I had both pairs side by side. You may be able to find something in the archives But I do remember I was not overly impressed with the NSX-10000’s and thats why I sold them, I had 2 pair at one time. I remember there being a slight advantage to the 10000’s but not enough for the $6000/pair price difference and I would be lying if I told you I can remember exactly what that difference was. My favorite Yamaha Speaker of all time is the FX-1’s, they are my daily drivers....compliments of HiFiDo about 10 years ago
I can understand that when comparing NSX-10000's to FX-1's that you preferred the FX-1's. The refinements made to the NSX-10000 such as beryllium voice coil and bobbin, stiffness of driver baskets, etc. are subtle differences while the strengths of the FX-1's are core speaker competencies such as base extension and dynamics which complement the superb beryllium drivers.

I can understand that when comparing NSX-10000's to FX-1's that you preferred the FX-1's. The refinements made to the NSX-10000 such as beryllium voice coil and bobbin, stiffness of driver baskets, etc. are subtle differences while the strengths of the FX-1's are core speaker competencies such as base extension and dynamics which complement the superb beryllium drivers.
The FX-1 is complete perfection in my opinion.....I can’t find them lacking in any way. From crisp, clean highs down to floor thumping bass I can’t find anything to surpass them until I stack them against my JBL 4355’s. Brass reproduction and vocals sound “live” and they are so well balanced I play them completely flat with no tonal adjustments. If I only had one pair of speakers in my arsenal they would be the FX-1’s

Thank you and any further comments and/or recollections are quite welcome. Whatever the details, catch and release is a good litmus test and the 2000's would seem to be the true bang for the buck. However at 76kg per speaker for the FX-1 I suppose they would be there to stay regardless of how one felt about them. :D The only thing heavier is the GF-1.

The FX-1 is complete perfection in my opinion.....I can’t find them lacking in any way. From crisp, clean highs down to floor thumping bass I can’t find anything to surpass them until I stack them against my JBL 4355’s. Brass reproduction and vocals sound “live” and they are so well balanced I play them completely flat with no tonal adjustments. If I only had one pair of speakers in my arsenal they would be the FX-1’s
What amp are you using to drive the FX-1's?

Good question. According to his sig, virtually any combination of Yamaha's best gear is possible in his listening room. :music: That avatar picture is insane. :trebon:

Back
Top Bottom