Infinity Quantum 2s thrown out in trash

Depecheduran

So my luck with Infinity speakers is amazing!

Early in this year I got a pair of CS-3008's in a storage unit sale. Bought whole unit of electronics for $600. Refoamed and using now.

About a month ago, Goodwill had a pair of Kappa 7's for under $30 if I remember right. Project about to begin.

And today... a pair of Quantum 2's that were thrown to the curb two blocks from my house. They are pretty trashed but I bet there are some salvageable parts. Don't know much about these. Anyone have advice or knowledge on what to look for with these? I may just part out to help pay for Kappa repair. I do know they weigh I ton!

For starters the should look like this;)
infinity_quantum_2_loudspeaker_system.jpg

Probably not hard to salvage, I love the Q2's. Those mid's often have bad tinsel wires, so you can probably count on having to repair those as well. Can't say that I would rather have the Kappa 7's over the Q2's, because I have never owned the Kappa 7's. But I do have a pair of Kappa 8's and Kappa 9's and they both are in my spare room being stored, and my Q2's are used daily.

It really would be shame to part out some Iconic speakers when they are not in that bad of shape. Better maybe to sell them to someone who would like to restore them?

I'll be looking into them more before I decide but maybe selling them will happen. It would be a shame to part them out. I'd rather see them restored.

Notice those Quantum 2 midranges are not straight, in particular the bottom one. Crooked mounting job.

I have the QLS-1 and they sound great! Test the mid domes, if three out of four work, you are good to go for an easy resto... Otherwise there's a thread around here somewhere that recommends replacements for the domes, and the OP thinks the new ones sound much better too!

01D64C78-01EF-48F2-B1AA-D61D26A464C6.jpeg 393733FC-51AA-4FFE-BB3D-AB137F6556DA.jpeg In my opinion those are the best Infinities you own now. I have QLS1,2,3,4, RS2,2b and 2.5 and have own several others. I would rank the qls2 around 3rd in line sometimes 2nd. They are amazing when running properly with good electronics. That woofer can easily be repaired by Millersound. Send them both out for what Bill calls the full treatment and you will be amazed at the bass response you will get.

I'll be looking into them more before I decide but maybe selling them will happen. It would be a shame to part them out. I'd rather see them restored.
I would be very interested in buying them from you. I have the correct woofers already and midbass coupler. I also have all the new crossover components to rebuild the crossovers. I am a woodworker and I can bring the cabinets back to new. I have wanted to build a pair of these for several years.

Notice those Quantum 2 midranges are not straight, in particular the bottom one. Crooked mounting job.
I think they tried to line one of the flat sides of the midbass coupler with the closest edge of the woofer, not the cabinet or other drivers.

Last edited:
The damage on the cabinets is mostly on the tops. Not sure so much if It's water or heat or maybe both. Nonetheless, the joints are separated and the top piece looks a bit bowed. I am not against selling these but shipping has to be horrible.

The damage on the cabinets is mostly on the tops. Not sure so much if It's water or heat or maybe both. Nonetheless, the joints are separated and the top piece looks a bit bowed. I am not against selling these but shipping has to be horrible.
Where are you located?

Could you take pictures of the water damage/sun damage from the top...

I'm just curious ..
I think that line of infinities are some of the best even compared to the Kappa line

Tucson AZ
I'm in Northern Colorado. Maybe a road trip? My thought is I would build new cabinets anyway and use 1" MDF instead of the 3/4" particle board. Can you post pictures of the tops so I can see how bad the cabinets are. If they aren't worth saving I would buy the emits and the dome midranges from you for sure. Those are all I'm missing to build a complete set of Q2's.

Back
Top Bottom