Show us your JBLs

... With emphasis on that all important center channel. :idea:

index.php

When I was a kid, my uncle had some JBL XPL90s on matching stands that just blew me away.
Many years later, my JBL journey started with a pair of 4312C out of curiosity, but I found them terrible, so sold them right away again:

Next were a pair of L40s, beautifully refinished by a fellow AKer:

I've had these Studio 580s for going on a year now and will probably never sell them, they're end game speakers for me. In fact, I'm about to veneer them in real wood cherry, already got the supplies:

I also recently had a pair of L26s which I liked quite a bit better than the L40s. The paper cone tweeter was way nicer than the early soft dome of the L40 IMO. I regret selling these, but they went to a good home:

There's plenty of really cool JBLs I'd still like to own, so the journey will continue...

Last edited:
Latest edition - JBL B460 in our Home Theater space!
Purchased in Bartertown right here on AK, delivered via Pony Express by the awesome AudioKeith,
lifting here assisted by the amazing Steve Vollmer -
and a slight wipedown this morning with Howards Orange Oil (grill off for the wipe) - sounds great!!

B460-wiped&Cropped-7085.jpg

Thank you sir......

4365 "studio monitors" < take that with a grain of salt...:D IMO, a far cry from the ol' days of JBL Pro.
I'm toying with the idea of adding a couple of REL Acoustics subwoofers with the 4365's. The 15" woofers in the 4365's do a somewhat adequate job<subjective, but I think a "small" pair of subs would help out tremendously. The REL subs would be the only ones I'd use. They are a little unique, each one connects to your amp's speaker connections, left/right with a XLR connection at the sub. The subs are powered on their own with "tuning" on each sub.
I've never owned any subwoofers before, I guess what holds me back is I don't in any way want to "change" any JBL sound. I'm being told by different people that these subs if properly set-up will not change your JBL's sound characteristics. :dunno:

I bought the PS Audio preamp because it has tubes in the signal path (my Mac C52 is solid state) As of now I don't have a turntable, so it's CD's and as we all know digital needs all the help it can get. To "somewhat" of a surprise the tubes have helped out. Some of my CD's aren't as bright and harsh as they were with the solid state pre and I believe the lower end has improved a bit.
CD players can have a dramatic input regarding sound. I was running a Technics player for a while and it sounded pretty good, sans that digital clinical sound. I upgraded to a Marantz CD 72U, and was shocked, what a huge improvement! Much more analog sounding, warmer and natural. The player is a Philips unit with Marantz packaging. I highly recommend considering one of these CD players.
Glenn

When I was a kid, my uncle had some JBL XPL90s on matching stands that just blew me away.
Many years later, my JBL journey started with a pair of 4312C out of curiosity, but I found them absolutely terrible, so sold them right away again:

Next were a pair of L40s, beautifully refinished by a fellow AKer:

I've had these Studio 580s for going on a year now and will probably never sell them, they're end game speakers for me. In fact, I'm about to veneer them in real wood cherry, already got the supplies:

I also recently had a pair of L26s which I liked quite a bit better than the L40s. The paper cone tweeter was way nicer than the early soft dome of the L40 IMO. I regret selling these, but they went to a good home:

There's plenty of really cool JBLs I'd still like to own, so the journey will continue...
Nice gear you have!
Did you start on the veneering yet? I'd love to see how that project progresses.
Glenn

Kraut, I love your photos and journey. Wow.

The Studio 580s continue to fascinate me. I should have grabbed a pair when Harman was blowing them out. Veneering them was my thought, too.

Kraut, I love your photos and journey. Wow.

The Studio 580s continue to fascinate me. I should have grabbed a pair when Harman was blowing them out. Veneering them was my thought, too.

Thank you!

Nice gear you have!
Did you start on the veneering yet? I'd love to see how that project progresses.
Glenn

Thank you! I haven't started yet, but I'll post pics of the process in my listening spaces thread when I do.

Latest edition - JBL B460 in our Home Theater space!
Purchased in Bartertown right here on AK, delivered via Pony Express by the awesome AudioKeith,
lifting here assisted by the amazing Steve Vollmer -
and a slight wipedown this morning with Howards Orange Oil (grill off for the wipe) - sounds great!!

View attachment 1240849
So that's the sub-woofer that was mated for the L250's . How low does she go and how does it sound
?

Back
Top Bottom