Model Seven Speakers

Mcenroe7

Thanks to a awesome AK’er who alerted me to these..I purchased a one way ticket to Michigan and then drove 22 hours straight back home to make it back to get a few hours sleep before work the next day. Wife being out of town surely helped this “adventure”. Seller was original owner and they had never left the spots in his living room until I showed up. Included pics of 700 supreme set. The original owner of these speakers also had this set, but had donated them years ago because they were “not working correctly”. The sevens were just sitting in their decades old spots with a newer Yamaha receiver as the power.

Attachments

• 1C90FF6C-2400-4B99-B4EF-BF54B8A33FD1.jpeg
    1C90FF6C-2400-4B99-B4EF-BF54B8A33FD1.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 156
  • 0FBC91FF-B634-4DDE-AD94-7C2E164AD2D2.jpeg
    0FBC91FF-B634-4DDE-AD94-7C2E164AD2D2.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 175
  • 39B36187-FC75-4A04-8AA8-6877A09A4C26.jpeg
    39B36187-FC75-4A04-8AA8-6877A09A4C26.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 145
  • 1F4225B1-F98E-42D8-9851-FCDEA4846BFC.jpeg
    1F4225B1-F98E-42D8-9851-FCDEA4846BFC.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 142
  • EE5BE096-2BB2-4B72-9F5C-3869EE8450E8.jpeg
    EE5BE096-2BB2-4B72-9F5C-3869EE8450E8.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 136
  • C56871E5-6917-4048-8253-732B9A2B10FA.jpeg
    C56871E5-6917-4048-8253-732B9A2B10FA.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 147
Great speakers. If all the drivers work you have something there.

These are not as small as they look. 110 pounds and a 14 inch woofer. Clean and clear sound and I heard em with blowed up tweeters.

Great speakers. If all the drivers work you have something there.

These are not as small as they look. 110 pounds and a 14 inch woofer. Clean and clear sound and I heard em with blowed up tweeters.

I had asked about the drivers before I embarked and seller informed me they all were good..and he was correct! Just spectacular sound, I'm actually nervous to really push them so I can keep them that way. He also mentioned they have hardly been used in the last 25 years, so hopefully the have some life yet? Ive never really understood what makes drivers go bad on speakers, have just always "assumed" playing them too loud.

There are a number of different ways a speaker can fail.
Mechanical failure of the surround or spider the outer and inner suspension of the cone. Whether these rip, rot or sag the cone and connected voice coil are no longer centered properly and there will be rubbing, thumping or sorta splatting as the woofer moves but the air moves independently around a bad surround.

Electrical failure can be a failed solder joint of the incoming wiring, tinsel wire (jumper from terminal to cone) and voice coil to tinsel.

People caused failures can be from overdriving and burning up a voice coil from too much power for too long causing it to lose continuity and become an open circuit. This can also happen from not enough power and driving the amp to distortion which can damage the drivers.

If they are working, I would not be concerned with driving them with a nice 150 wpc amp as loud as it will play without distorting for periods of time but that might be way more than you need to use. The Kenwood brochure of the period http://kenwood.pytalhost.eu/1976/, indicates they would work well with the KA-8300 (80wpc), 500 (100 wpc), KR-9400 (120 wpc) and 600 (130 wpc). These contemporary pieces at the start of the period where Kenwood was showing the world the great gear they can make. This includes the KD-500/KD-550 turntable and some tuners to fill out the system. Subsequent years added the L-0xM series of amps and the matching preamps, the KD-850 and KD-600/KD-650 as well as one of the best turntables and tuners ever made, the L-07D and L-07T. A great period for Kenwood.

All that said, get a great 100-150 wpc and enjoy. The better the gear the better these will sound. Find someone local with a pair of Yamaha NS-1000s and ask em to drop by and hear a great speaker. I'm guessing Charlie put you on to these.

Wow, that’s a real find. Enjoy and revel in the knowledge you have a very rare set.

There are a number of different ways a speaker can fail.
Mechanical failure of the surround or spider the outer and inner suspension of the cone. Whether these rip, rot or sag the cone and connected voice coil are no longer centered properly and there will be rubbing, thumping or sorta splatting as the woofer moves but the air moves independently around a bad surround.

Electrical failure can be a failed solder joint of the incoming wiring, tinsel wire (jumper from terminal to cone) and voice coil to tinsel.

People caused failures can be from overdriving and burning up a voice coil from too much power for too long causing it to lose continuity and become an open circuit. This can also happen from not enough power and driving the amp to distortion which can damage the drivers.

If they are working, I would not be concerned with driving them with a nice 150 wpc amp as loud as it will play without distorting for periods of time but that might be way more than you need to use. The Kenwood brochure of the period http://kenwood.pytalhost.eu/1976/, indicates they would work well with the KA-8300 (80wpc), 500 (100 wpc), KR-9400 (120 wpc) and 600 (130 wpc). These contemporary pieces at the start of the period where Kenwood was showing the world the great gear they can make. This includes the KD-500/KD-550 turntable and some tuners to fill out the system. Subsequent years added the L-0xM series of amps and the matching preamps, the KD-850 and KD-600/KD-650 as well as one of the best turntables and tuners ever made, the L-07D and L-07T. A great period for Kenwood.

All that said, get a great 100-150 wpc and enjoy. The better the gear the better these will sound. Find someone local with a pair of Yamaha NS-1000s and ask em to drop by and hear a great speaker. I'm guessing Charlie put you on to these.

Thanks for that info! I have them paired with the 700 supreme set..and great to know I do not have to worry too much about damaging these! I usually do not listen to music ear splitting loud anyway. It was not Charlie who alerted me..another fellow who knew my Kenwood obsession..and knew very well my "sickness" to drop everything and get these:)

Thanks for that info! I have them paired with the 700 supreme set..and great to know I do not have to worry too much about damaging these! I usually do not listen to music ear splitting loud anyway. It was not Charlie who alerted me..another fellow who knew my Kenwood obsession..and knew very well my "sickness" to drop everything and get these:)
Congratulations then. I'll admit that despite taking a large interest in hi-fi since '78, I had never heard of the Sevens prior to the other AKer(Big Tuna?) who has a pair. The stunner is that you are using them with the Supremes. Well done. I don't know whether EchoWars is still doing Supreme mods, but if he is I'd recommend investigating getting the Supremes modded.

Rearranged things couple of days ago..just thought I would share. Absolutely love anything Kenwood!

Attachments

• 272E9717-B4A5-404B-8736-A7FD502DE8C9.jpeg
    272E9717-B4A5-404B-8736-A7FD502DE8C9.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 73
  • AD10B37B-9A04-43DA-8F92-68876B57BA0B.jpeg
    AD10B37B-9A04-43DA-8F92-68876B57BA0B.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 3DC7712D-5E3C-4B3A-B2C7-3427B801EB84.jpeg
    3DC7712D-5E3C-4B3A-B2C7-3427B801EB84.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 76
  • D063BACF-4379-4452-9A3E-075B8EE9BF44.jpeg
    D063BACF-4379-4452-9A3E-075B8EE9BF44.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 75
Please tell me that they are stacked there for the purposes of a photo only and that you don't listen to the system like that.

That arrangement defeats the ability of the system to sound like it should.
First off..I’ve been in this hobby for about 15 years..Been on AK for I “think” 7? Never in a million years would I make a comment about someone’s system and choices as you did. If you or the moderator’s would like to look at my post history..I have been nothing but cordial and polite toward everyone. This post is as close as you will get from me ..as far as being rude. My issue is “space”. I know what’s “ideal”..but since I cannot arrange it as such without sacrificing other set-ups ..it is what is.
And it sounds great as it is.
People are different..but again..your comment “initially” comes across as pompous...which is a pet peeve of mine. I would never think of demeaning anyone. Not “noobs” who post for the first time and ask “what’s this worth” and not someone who is sharing a post of their system. That’s just me.

First off..I’ve been in this hobby for about 15 years..Been on AK for I “think” 7? Never in a million years would I make a comment about someone’s system and choices as you did. If you or the moderator’s would like to look at my post history..I have been nothing but cordial and polite toward everyone. This post is as close as you will get from me ..as far as being rude. My issue is “space”. I know what’s “ideal”..but since I cannot arrange it as such without sacrificing other set-ups ..it is what is.
And it sounds great as it is.
People are different..but again..your comment “initially” comes across as pompous...which is a pet peeve of mine. I would never think of demeaning anyone. Not “noobs” who post for the first time and ask “what’s this worth” and not someone who is sharing a post of their system. That’s just me.
No offence was intended. It is a true statement.

Thank you for sharing your newly acquired speakers, and thank you for posting pictures.
Take it easy on Theophile, from everything I have seen he is a good guy and means well. Just remember that there is no sense of voice or inflection in text.
He might be making a valid point, and I am sure you are being honest about your space limitation. That said - if you can move things around, do. Play with it. You just might find that by rearranging things you can improve things. If not, you will be in a better position to tell people this is what works given your listening space.
Thanks again for sharing.

Nice Sevens. Had a pair here for a bit that I picked up for an AKer and I really liked them.

I understand your complaint about theophile's comment about your rig but he just forgot to add this in his first statement. "unless you are space limited." I read it as that was implied, not a blanket condemnation of the way you have your equipment set up. There are frequent discussions here started when pics of systems are shown.

Now back to more discussion of the speakers. What other speakers have you had to compare them to? I liken their sound to a nicer Yamaha NS-1000 but I didn't hear a fully working set of Sevens and it has been decades since I have heard the Yamahas. Both provide excellent clean, clear sound.

Very nice set of speakers and equipment you have. I have to agree that they need to be futher apart and pulled out from the walls to get their full potential. I would love to hear that setup!

Oh my! You lucky booger! You still in Omaha? Sorry I didn't see this sooner. You still have them, Steve?

Back
Top Bottom