Spectrum is evil

Erik Tracy

Everyone's happy when the wizard walks by
You know those Spectrum sponsored commercials that satellite is evil, Spectrum is good?

Wrong - Spectrum, aka Wrecktum, is evil.

Ever since Time Warner Cable was bought out and became Spectrum, there's been the slow f'ing of customers.

When we first got switched over from TWC to Spectrum, I lost a bunch of channels but the price remained the same.

Since then, I have periodically had channels taken away and put into different cost tiers which would require me to pay more to get back what I had.

Today, I lost more channels without any notice. And the monthly bill is higher!

That was the last straw. I've ordered more Roku sticks for the other tv rooms - and once they are up and running Wrecktum is gonna get a call and I'm dumping off all their sh!t at the local store.

MFs:mad:

Spectrum/Charter just not working out so well. My internet goes in and out regularly. PC diagnoses says it's ok at the modem, the issue is from the pole, (tap), to the modem. I called and got a tech to check it out. By luck the internet WAS out. His equipment verified it was not an inside issue. So he got out his ladder, climbed up to check the tap. The connections were corroded, and he needed to loosen the connectors by "tapping" on them with his wrench. Internet was restored! He said it, (the tap) was pretty old, and should be changed. Ok, then he said it's not my responsibility because I am an "inside" tech. The outside, (line maintenance crews are responsible for the repair. I said great, you can pass the info. along. He said his area does not talk to the outside guys, and the only way they will look at it is if the whole neighborhood downstream from me is out. So, I have 2 8' sections of conduit tied together that will reach the tap, and when it goes out, the conduit will reach high enough to give the "tap" a good smack and the internet comes back on. Don't worry the power lines are elsewhere. It is the two way signal, the TV is fine, even if the internet is out.

Last edited:
As TWC was becoming Spectrum, my wife and I learned that "introductory pricing" would no longer be extended past the first year; in the past, if you called up and complained and threatened to cancel, TWC would extent the discount pricing. We were informed that from now on, that game, which had gone on for years, would no longer be played: long term customers paid full price, period, and there was no way around it. Our cable/internet/phone package would be $270 a month.

We already hated TWC as it was, but that was the last straw; we switched to DirecTV and got a separate ISP/phone. The first year was a lot cheaper, and while that's over and we're no longer getting the discount introductory rate, even at "full price" it's still cheaper than Spectrum was going to be.

But by far the best thing about it is that a whole-house DVR service is part of the DirecTV package. Not having had that before, it was a revelation; I don't think I could go back to suffering through commercials. I don't know what Spectrum would have charged us for that, but it was not part of the package they were going to charge us $270 for, and I'm sure it would have been a big additional charge to have it.

I don't miss them at all, and the DirecTV, with the DVR service, is much better.

As TWC was becoming Spectrum, my wife and I learned that "introductory pricing" would no longer be extended past the first year; in the past, if you called up and complained and threatened to cancel, TWC would extent the discount pricing. We were informed that from now on, that game, which had gone on for years, would no longer be played: long term customers paid full price, period, and there was no way around it. Our cable/internet/phone package would be $270 a month.

We already hated TWC as it was, but that was the last straw; we switched to DirecTV and got a separate ISP/phone. The first year was a lot cheaper, and while that's over and we're no longer getting the discount introductory rate, even at "full price" it's still cheaper than Spectrum was going to be.

But by far the best thing about it is that a whole-house DVR service is part of the DirecTV package. Not having had that before, it was a revelation; I don't think I could go back to suffering through commercials. I don't know what Spectrum would have charged us for that, but it was not part of the package they were going to charge us $270 for, and I'm sure it would have been a big additional charge to have it.

I don't miss them at all, and the DirecTV, with the DVR service, is much better.
What ISP/phone did you go with?

Why don't you try DirecTV Now a streaming service. They have 4 or 5 levels of service, plus you can add sports and movie channels, and you don't have to pay for a Dish and a bunch of receivers. Maybe an Apple TV or two but you wouldn't have to pay rent.

I AM AN OLD TWC customer that I use for computer feed. Spectrum allowed my speed to go from about 25 mega bits to 110 mega bits for $15.00 less a month. But I use directv because time warners video was junk compared to to satellite. Being a long time customer, since 2002 I got them to give me a new contract where I'm within the $10.00 of DirectV Now and I got to keep the Smithsonian channel and some HD channels that are not on DirectV now. Now if I could just get them to work a deal for my RV I would have it made.

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for. You might talk yourself into going AT&T / DirecTV. Compared to Spectrum, they are 20 times worse.
I've already got DirecTV Now streaming bundle for $35/mo and get all the channels I normally watch via Wrecktum, but at about $100 cheaper (when we ditch Wrecktum next month). Picture quality is *better* than Wrecktum's cable (I get macroblocking on some channels).

The only channels I don't get via DirecTV Now are live CBS and PBS programs, but I get those OTA. So that's covered.

The only thing I'll have to keep from Wrecktum is internet.

Spectrum's TV service_stinks_ Their customer service is atrocious. prepare to wait 30 minutes.
And wow is a joke.

Agreed .... same here in Dallas. Hardly ever had a problem with TW. Spectrum moved in and within 30 days we started getting outtages and most recently they announced a $5.00 increase. Won't affect me, because I document every outtage and request credit on my bill. Direct TV .... did that ... not going back. Although, they did have the best programming and picture.

I lied and told them I run a business out of my house to get the Business service. Much better service and support when they don't think you are a filthy casual consumer. I only get internet and phone from them though.

I lied and told them I run a business out of my house to get the Business service. Much better service and support when they don't think you are a filthy casual consumer. I only get internet and phone from them though.

You made me laugh, thanks. You are wise my friend.

In October Spectrum wanted to boost my internet feed from $44.00 to 64.00 per month after 20 years appox. Because I was with Direct TV I was able to add internet service with AT&T for $40.00 a month and got a much cheaper rate from Direct TV, like half. So I went from $224.00 potentially down to $125.00 for both!

Most internet, phone, and cable companies are losing subscribers in droves. Their business model no longer works. They are under pressure from networks, who need to give their investors a return they expect. People are cutting the cord because they can find a suitable alternative instead of paying huge prices for cable services that they don't need. I cut the cord when my internet, phone and cable service exceeded $236.00 dollars a month. I only watched 6 channels. It can't last much longer. It's interesting to watch because they've reached the limit that consumers are willing to pay for what they get.

I have friends with kids in High school and college. So they may have 5 phones , 5 computers and 5 TV's hooked up. They pay for streaming services and other toys. All PC by the way and their monthly connection costs is approaching $700.00 a month. How can they afford that? I don't know. I just dropped Sirus XM because I don't travel that much anymore and when I do I either use music stored on my iPhone 10x or 20 or so CD's I carry with me. That save $236.00 a year. I carry the phone for navigation anyway. Why pay Acura for for a Tech package when the iPhone will do all I need for 1/4 the cost.. This Accura may be my last SUV, I definitely don't want a self driving car.

Back
Top Bottom