Help me spend $1500

rocknroll1

I listen mainly to vinyl but just picked a CD transport so I am needing a DAC. I also plan on streaming thru the DAC so take that into account. I have set a budget of $1500 for the DAC and not opposed used.

If you don’t need any features ( volume knob, hdmi, video )..
You might do well with a BoarderPatrol DAC ..
If and when I ever ditch my OPPO 205 , for a separate transport/ DAC , I will be looking very hard at the BoarderPatrol DAC..

I'm not a big believer in "magic" when it comes to DACs, so if it where me I'd get something cheaper, see if that does it for you... And if not, sell that for a small loss and go more up-market.

You could always get a Bel Canto DAC 2.5 for half your budget (jk, inside joke). So far it is the best, most analog sounding DAC I've owned yet though, by far. Not saying it's the best out there by any means...I encourage you to do lots of research, but ultimately you won't know until you hear it. I know it's hard to audition lots of different gear though. I'd say if you have a local dealer maybe they'd let you do some in-home trials on various DAC's...only problem there, if you use the dealer, you're likely not getting the best price, but you will hopefully get the benefit of auditions! I usually just try to buy stuff at the lower end of the market and sell it if I don't like it or if I want to move up or try something different...get my money back...as there are no dealers anywhere near me.

Good luck, interested to hear what you end up with. I was not a believer in DAC's until I got the Bel Canto. I suspect it just has really good synergy in my system.

You can get a used McIntosh D100 DAC/Pre-Amp/Headphone amp for that price. I really enjoy mine.
Plus one on the recommendation for the D100. Especially since you already have some other Mac gear to keep it company. I liked my 1st D100 so much that I bought 2nd one for another Mc system.

Plus one on the recommendation for the D100. Especially since you already have some other Mac gear to keep it company. I liked my 1st D100 so much that I bought 2nd one for another Mc system.

The synergy of the D100 to my McGear is amazing. The ESS chipset in the D100 is warm, detailed and just a pleasure to listen to. I use mine as a DAC primarily but also use it as a headphone amp from time to time.

I have thought about the D100 but was concerned that it might be older technology. When did it 1st come out and has it had any updates? Is it still built?

I have thought about the D100 but was concerned that it might be older technology. When did it 1st come out and has it had any updates? Is it still built?

The D100 is no longer offered as a new unit by McIntosh. They did upgrade the Windows driver for music servers that interface with the unit but I believe that was all they did. Frankly, it didn't need anything else, IMHO.

McIntosh introduced the D150 in 2015, which replaced the D100 and incorporated an updated ESS chipset which can decode DSD codecs. All other features appear to be the same as the D100.

In this case, "older technology" does not necessarily mean inferior. The D100, configured as an all digital pre-amp, headphone amp and DAC; is very high quality gear with excellent specifications - even compared to newly issued DACs - and it sounds fantastic.

Here is my take on the D100 soon after I installed it in my system:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....lended-competency-or-confused-purpose.625130/

D100 is very nice. So is the D150, of course. I tried them both but settled on the Mytek Brooklyn. Like the Mac stuff it is a digital Pre, too. Got a servicable phono stage and does full MQA decoding (not the post-decoded playback). For me, it's fantastic.

I am currently looking at the Teac NT505. It is a DAC/Streamer. It is the replacement for the 503. They are new on the market and I can only find them for sale in Europe. Does anyone have any experience with the NT or UD 503 or 505?

A preowned McIntosh D150 showed up on Agon today for a bit over your stated budget, but it has a "make an offer" option. No affiliation.

thanks guys for the input. I ended up with the D150 from Agon. He came very close to my budget. I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Mytek Brooklyn, everything I read about it was good and it had MQA. The other options like phono stage would not have been used. Now help me find a streamer. I don't know much about them but it seems like roon ready is the way to go.

Last edited:
I saw a similar question in another forum aimed primarily at High End users — "Can someone recommend a good DAC? I don't want to go crazy on price, $15K is my limit."

BTW, may I ask which transport you chose? I'm in that process now...

Back
Top Bottom