SACD recommendations

Musically this one is a high water mark for both artists (I've followed Bacharach for decades):

MFSL1-475-2.jpg

The vinyl for once was disappointing--it should have been spread across three sides (or better yet, across four sides at 45 RPM). The SACD is the better bet here. The original CD is no slouch either, provided it is played back with the HDCD decoded.

The Doors series of albums on SACD have to be about the best versions out there? L.A. Woman in particular is stellar!

The DCC gold CD’s get high praise as well. From what I’ve read, the S/T is best on DCC due to fresher master tapes available in ‘92.

The rest are probably pretty close between DCC/Audio Fidelity gold vs SACD. Some say the SACD’s are a bit more relaxed and laid back and the gold CD’s have a bit more energy.

Nice to see this format hanging in there. Started being a fan in 2000..took a leap of faith and sold a pretty nice vinyl set up and pulled the trigger on a Sony SCD-777ES at Tweeter...and never looked back. In those days, buying SACD's resembled the early 80's for CD's, and there wasn't nearly the catalogue we have now. And for a period, things looked a little sketchy as to whether it would survive. Even through a tough stretch several years ago, I may have sold equipment and CD collection...but the combo player I use now and what SACD's I had weren't going anywhere. And now I'm very thankful. For me, the usual suspects are good, but Diana Krall is a stand out. And I haven't seen much mention of Telarc and want to throw them a little love. The early Slatkin/St. Louis SO playing Barber/Vaughan/Pachelbel/Tchaikovsky/Grainger is really amazing..very rich..check your cholesterol BEFORE playing this. It just fills the room. Even if you're not a big fan of this kind of music, it will show off your system in a big way. View attachment 1136508
The only copy I can find is $99 used on Amazon. I'm interested; but since I'm not a big classical fan, I'll need to keep an eye out for a lower price.

BreakingSilence.jpg
last week I put an order in for Janis Ian Breaking Silence Hybrid Stereo SACD -
its just been remastered by Analogue Productions for the 45rpm vinyl release as well as for SACD release.
Its always been a really nice audiophile recording - I got a CD after I first heard the album in the Harman Kardon
demo truck a few years back when they made a visit near Tysons Corner VA -
The album has production like the better Steely Dan recordings - really clean and the guitars just shimmer ...
The regular CD has been a treat - so I'm looking forward to the SACD!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=breaking+silence

"This album finds Janis' voice in its purest, most vital form ever. The tracks were recorded as live as possible without sounding retro. This 1992 all-analogue recording, praised as much for the artist's too infrequently heard talents as for it's recorded dynamics.
This product is a Hybrid SACD designed to play in both CD and SACD players, as well as all SACD-compatible DVD players."

Track Listings
All Roads To The River

Ride Me Like A Wave
Tattoo
Guess You Had To Be There
What About The Love
His Hands
Walking On Sacred Ground
This Train Still Runs
Through The Years
This House
Some People's Lives
Breaking Silence

Oh, the Harman Mobil listening studio, from 2011 -

Harman_5352.jpg

Last edited:
The Analogue Productions SACD of Janis Ian "Breaking Silence" came yesterday. I popped it in the Oppo DV981HD and played it.
I have not replayed the original (regular) CD to compare, but the SACD sounds like a very nice upgrade. I'm happy!

The Analogue Productions SACD of Janis Ian "Breaking Silence" came yesterday. I popped it in the Oppo DV981HD and played it.
I have not replayed the original (regular) CD to compare, but the SACD sounds like a very nice upgrade. I'm happy!
Based on your trusted recommendation, I also bought the CD. (It took ages to arrive from Acoustic Sounds via Discogs to avoid the $15 shipping!!) First impression: Sterling production, great songwriting. I only wish Ms. Ian would allow more feeling in her vocals as she did in spots on the title track. Still a great buy.

Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Hard to find (few international sellers on eBay trying to sell these at $500 each!)

Superb SACD - exceptional music, certain sounds which I never heard in the normal CD :thumbsup:

Thriller SACD.jpg

Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Hard to find (few international sellers on eBay trying to sell these at $500 each!)

Superb SACD - exceptional music, certain sounds which I never heard in the normal CD :thumbsup:

View attachment 1223153

And to think there's a 5.1 remix of this album that Sony commissioned, ready to go, but no approval from estate of MJ (yet).....

Back
Top Bottom