So, I got this.....

imglocked

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
image.jpeg

Finally got to the local jun...errr "Antique" store today and found this. It was on the floor, and I immediately recognized it as an effect 'stomp-box'. And the biggest I have ever seen. And the only one I've ever seen made of wood.

Couldn't see anything but the "GILCO" label, but the fitting on top indicated to me, rightly as it turns out, that this a 'talk-box' device, like what Frampton used. I dunno if it works yet, no tube and no rig setup to try.

If it doesn't work, is it something that can be repaired? And if so, is it worthwhile doing so? I did a quick Google and all I came up with was a listing on some effects-box website, but no specs.

A few of the screws on top are loose/backed out a bit, but I don't think it's actually been opened; should I take a peek inside or reseat the screws and try it out? What IS inside? I imagine it's more mechanical than electronic?

So, what ya got on this my friends?

Nice find!

Inside is a compression driver which forces sound up the tube to your mouth.
The mouth changes the sounds, especially vowels.

Besides a tube, you'll need to power it with a guitar amp or such.
Also needed is a microphone and a separate PA, etc to reproduce the "mouthed sounds".

A simple resistance test with a multi-meter will let you know the impedance (probably it's 8-ohms, but could be 4 or 16).

Thanks 'slam!

I am NOT a musician, got this for #1 son who IS, so I am familiar with pedals and how they are connected; guitar out to pedal in, pedal out to amp in. And that either a 9V battery or wall-wart is used for pedal power. Now, this just has 'from amp' and 'to speaker', so lemme see if I understand how this goes and the more I think on it, I THINK I got it:

This needs an amplified signal; the signal straight from a guitar is not enough. So, with an amp head the connections are:

Guitar to amp head input
Amp out to GILCO input
GILCO out to speaker cab
Tube to side of mouth or wherever comfy

Now, we also need to setup a mic & amp to actually hear the effect bc it does NOT affect the guitar's signal the way a traditional effects pedal does.

He's got all sorts of separate amps/cabs and combos, so, if one of the combos has a speaker out jack for an external cab, can Input 2 be used for the microphone? I do need to take a look at them, but is that a thing, using an external cab with a combo? And still be able to use the combo's speakers?

Thanks in advance for any and all help & commentary!

Jim

You can't use the same amp for the microphone otherwise the signal will be fed back into the same amp and speaker output giving you feedback.
You don't need a microphone to hear if it works. The sound from the tube into the mouth is about as loud as a common singers vocal.
Just check the talk box connections as suggested, to make sure they're not shorted. You don't want to blow the amp.

GILCO out to speaker cab
No, if it needs amplifying more than just the room, it's picked up by the mic and sent out in the PA system.

@ 5:47

At about 8:18 when he stops using it, watch what he does, look at the separate mic and talk box setup in the middle of the stage, and the lead going to the amp.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I gotta say, very basic construction; zip cord wiring, somewhat sloppy solder work and whoever finished this one musta closed their eyes when driving the screws- only 1 outta 5 is where it oughta be. All in all, I see no reason why it SHOULDN'T work, but should the caps be swapped or no?

The frequency response on the University ID-30 is 85-7500hz.
Never would have thought those little buggers could go so low.
Sound pressure level 126dB. I've read that these things can rattle your teeth.

Always wanted to build one of these myself.

The frequency response on the University ID-30 is 85-7500hz.
Never would have thought those little buggers could go so low.
Sound pressure level 126dB. I've read that these things can rattle your teeth.

Always wanted to build one of these myself.

And loosen any cavity fillings you might have, if driven hard !!

Back
Top Bottom