Great "Every Day Carry" knives

Nice leveretto....I never knew Boker made them, looks quite similar to the Hubertus line....

I am not familiar with Hubertus. Are they also an older knife?

A good friend of mine carried this Boker and when he passed away about 15 years ago, his ex (who he despised) was selling off his stuff. I bought his knife and have carried it over the years in memory of Jim. I cherish it as much today as I did when I got it. Apparently they are pretty scarce. I have contacted Bill Deshivs in TN and I am going to send it to him and have him go through it as the blade lacks about 1/4" of going fully back into the handle upon closing. When I get it back it will mostly be a show n tell knife for me. I think they call them a lever lock.

Kershaw 1660CKT - nice and sharp, the pointy end is useful.. used to be a Buck knife guy, but the Kershaw is nicer to carry. Gotta be careful to not have it with me when I go to the airport, really don't want to lose it.

I have seen the big lots of knives on sale on eBay that were the victims of the TSA. It makes me sad to see.

Hubertus (Germany) has been in the knifemaking biz for a long time, I think they invented this type of folding knife (commonly known as a "springer" in Europe).

68.113.HE_.08.jpg

Another of my Benchmades, an Osborne design

A friend of mine just has one with G10 scales. I've never been a fan of Benchmade but his made me rethink that. It's light, fast, and locks up like a vault. I really like it and one may be in my future. The offset though is that I will likely be afraid to carry it. I usually carry a Chinese Ganzo of various flavors as I lose knives on a regular basis. I'll catch the clip on something and If I don't hear it fall it's gone. I hate that.

A friend of mine just has one with G10 scales. I've never been a fan of Benchmade but his made me rethink that. It's light, fast, and locks up like a vault. I really like it and one may be in my future. The offset though is that I will likely be afraid to carry it. I usually carry a Chinese Ganzo of various flavors as I lose knives on a regular basis. I'll catch the clip on something and If I don't hear it fall it's gone. I hate that.
To those on a budget, or just in need of a "disposable" working knife, IMHO, Kershaw has a killer menu to choose from, starting at around $17 or so....

The steel on the Leatherman was not hardened. This is why the screwdriver spun itself out of shape. The knife was the same. Back in the days I sharpened knives at work as a sideline. I sharpened hundreds of Leathermen and they were the same. The blades would bend one way and the next as they were sharpened. They were a pain. They did a later upgrade, the Wave, like you have, that hardened the knife, but not all the tools. It still was not an end all of their issues. Victorinox makes a Leatherman type tool that is fantastic. That is what I have used for 20+ years.

The leatherman was an absolute winner when it came out. No one had ever seen such a thing before. Swiss Army Knives had some real competition.

Mine has lived past its prime... I do fancy those Victorinox. Maybe someday I'll retire the Leatherman to the glovebox or kitchen junk drawer :)

Mine has lived past its prime... I do fancy those Victorinox. Maybe someday I'll retire the Leatherman to the glovebox or kitchen junk drawer :)
This is my 2nd Leatherman; my first one "disappeared." I also broke a tool on my first one, sent it back and got it back good as new! No fuss, no muss. Then it got stolen and I replaced it with the one I have today.

The Wave had just the right combo of tools that I needed then and now.

If this one disappears on me, I would probably get a replacement tool from the company as they are always evolving.

I've carried this Gerber Multi-tool to every concert that I've recorded for over 25 years now. I have a spot for it in my recording bag, with its case zip-tied to a rack in the bag.
It seems to have developed a wee bit of surface rust just hanging out in its nylon pouch.

DSCN5189.jpg
DSCN5185.jpg

I forgot that I had this pocket knife. It is a Buck 701, and, it is not a locking blade,... which is why I've forgotten about it. Something about the blade closing on my fingers that make it not a great everyday carry knife.
buck701bronco.jpg

During my years of sharpening I saw many Gerbers with the pliers cracked off on one side or the other. The steel must have been hardened too much. The rest of the tool was well superior to the Leatherman. At least the Leatherman's pliers didn't crack off.

Back
Top Bottom