Netflix

ducati_EL34

Addicted Member
So I was looking for something to watch on Netflix last night. There was nothing of interest. I do not watch documentaries or standup comedians. So those are just taking up space as far as I am concerned. What I did like, I have already watched. I am not interested in another long drawn out series. I just want good movies. I am about ready to dump Netflix and I have already tried Hulu and was not impressed. I guess it is time to read a book.

Has anyone else felt like dumping Netflix, or some other subscriber service?

/end rant

I get frustrated with Netflix over the selections they seem to offer up, or make easy to find. It seems like there's a lot more available, but you've got to know what to search for.

I have watched a few movies on it recently that wouldn't normally be on my radar, and have really enjoyed them.

You might try Googling on current offerings to see if anything strikes your fancy, then try searching for it. You might find some offerings that aren't showing up on the list of what's being presented to you.

bs

I get frustrated with Netflix over the selections they seem to offer up, or make easy to find. It seems like there's a lot more available, but you've got to know what to search for.

I have watched a few movies on it recently that wouldn't normally be on my radar, and have really enjoyed them.

You might try Googling on current offerings to see if anything strikes your fancy, then try searching for it. You might find some offerings that aren't showing up on the list of what's being presented to you.

bs

Yes. That is part of the problem, finding what is available. I will give that a try.

I have Netflix and I use it to watch TV series and documentaries of interest. I have always been frustrated by Netflix's organization of the movie section and the terribly clunky search function.

For movies I use VUDU. Sure, movies cost from 2.99 to 5.99 to rent in various formats but it is much better organized, the search function works great and they always have new material the day after it's released to DVD. There are no monthly fees and you only pay when you rent.

I keep getting close to dumping them and then I find a couple shows I like again and it gets me by until there is another couple that I like. But it is really borderline now and I figure I could drop them for 3-6 months and then they might build up enough to be worth watching again.

My biggest issue with them is there is no way to get them to stop showing me shows and movies that I have no interest at all in.

First, it would be nice if I could just block entire sub-genres from showing when I browse movies (showing under a search is fine). If I know I'm never going to watch a Bollywood movie or a love story in Korean then let me un-check two boxes and don't clog up the list of what's available with those.

Second, if I give a movie or show a thumbs down then don't show that one to me when scrolling through what is available. I've told their system I have no interest in that title, why does it keep coming up under multiple categories?

Even if they want to just move those shows and movies to the end of the list it would be fine but as it is now after 5 minutes of scrolling through things I have zero interest in I then find a blockbuster from the 90's or 2000's hidden at the bottom that looks interesting. But most of the time, anymore, I give up before I find anything and go to VUDU and either rent a movie or watch a show we've purchased.

Netflix's newest offering ~Extinction~ was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I'm thinking of making an HDTV antenna, dumping cable TV and keeping Netflix.

That's what we did about 10 years and 120 cable TV payments ago.

There are several options for over the air DVRs including PC based ones. I thought $500 for a dedicated PC for recording TV to watch without commercials was expensive at the time. But considering the cost to get HD and a HD DVR from the cable company would have totaled between $9,000 and $12,000 over that time it seems pretty cheap now.
And, over the air HD isn't compressed like cable HD so it looks better.

Their original movies have been uniformly lame. They seem to be just throwing stuff at the wall. It is not the value it once was IMO.

I've been close to dumping them several times but haven't done it.

Their Marvel shows are decent.

Netflix isn't great, but they do have a deep catalog. The best way I know of exploring it is by genre, which can be found by going into the search area and scrolling down. Lots of indy and international stuff especially.

I like anime, and have no problems finding new series on Netflix to watch, both dubbed and subbed. I'm currently half-way through Sword Art Online 2.

My wife also finds plenty to suit her, often watching detective series produced for TV in other English speaking nations, currently Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries from Australia.

The 17-year-old is hooked on the reboot of Voltron, and the 9-year-old is a Yu-Gi-Oh fanboy.

I guess it all depends on what one is looking for. I agree that often a Google search will get one farther than trying to search within Netflix.

I like anime, and have no problems finding new series on Netflix to watch, both dubbed and subbed. I'm currently half-way through Sword Art Online 2.

My wife also finds plenty to suit her, often watching detective series produced for TV in other English speaking nations, currently Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries from Australia.

The 17-year-old is hooked on the reboot of Voltron, and the 9-year-old is a Yu-Gi-Oh fanboy.

I guess it all depends on what one is looking for. I agree that often a Google search will get one farther than trying to search within Netflix.

I almost wish I was an anime fan as that is definitely one thing Netflix has a deep catalog on.

So far I've only been able to get through on, BLAME!. It was decent sci-fi. Perhaps you can recommend a few in the direction?

As long as I can stream The Office, Cheers, Portlandia, and Parts Unknown at will for the price of a plate of tacos each month, I'm happy.

BTW, if you haven't watched Longmire, The Crown, or Turn, definitely worth checking out.

Netflix's newest offering ~Extinction~ was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Clearly you haven't watched, I mean endured, How It Ends. The answer is Abruptly and you're welcome me for taking the bullet for you.

:beerchug:

Of all the Netflix original films I've watched, Extinction was probably the "best" in that it had something resembling a story (more or less, mostly less). However, it suffered from what they all do, a storyline taken directly from the napkin lunch notes into production. It isn't because the actors & acting are poor, most of the Netflix originals have actors I like and they do the best they can with the material. Production values are high too, Extinction had a lot of money thrown at it in that regard. But overall they are just flat and I am convinced it is Netflix's rush get shit out. Amazon Prime seems to have taken exactly the opposite approach. They are slow to release their originals but so far they've been complete works with solid writing and story arcs. Not ready to toss Netflix over the side but I no longer think they have their act together, at all.

Clearly you haven't watched, I mean endured, How It Ends. The answer is Abruptly and you're welcome me for taking the bullet for you.

:beerchug:

Of all the Netflix original films I've watched, Extinction was probably the "best" in that it had something resembling a story (more or less, mostly less). However, it suffered from what they all do, a storyline taken directly from the napkin lunch notes into production. It isn't because the actors & acting are poor, most of the Netflix originals have actors I like and they do the best they can with the material. Production values are high too, Extinction had a lot of money thrown at it in that regard. But overall they are just flat and I am convinced it is Netflix's rush get shit out. Amazon Prime seems to have taken exactly the opposite approach. They are slow to release their originals but so far they've been complete works with solid writing and story arcs. Not ready to toss Netflix over the side but I no longer think they have their act together, at all.

Watched that turd also. I hate that Netflix promotes ALL their originals as highly rated movies.

I don't think it's a Netflix original, but I enjoyed Riverdale.
images

Back
Top Bottom