Source for walnut (?) strips to go around the edge of JBL L100 grilles

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
Does anybody have any good sources for the walnut (?) strips that go around the edge of JBL L-100 grilles? I have some slightly rough grilles that I bought from eBay, the particleboard part is good, but the little walnut strips that go around the edge are all broken and damaged. I'm trying to finish off my L100 project so I can use them more often.

Lee.

Thanks Glen, but I was actually looking for a strip of walnut to actually glue onto the particleboard piece. They are about the size of a paint stirrer. I wasn't about to find some thin wood and then set about veneering it.

Lee.

Thanks Glen, but I was actually looking for a strip of walnut to actually glue onto the particleboard piece. They are about the size of a paint stirrer. I wasn't about to find some thin wood and then set about veneering it.

Lee.

Do you have a Rockler or Woodcraft nearby? Both sell thin stock (1/2", 1'4", 1/8") of various hardwood species, including walnut.

Second the recommendation for Rockwell & Woodcraft, there is also Woodworkers Supply and probably others. I'd be glad to help out if I can - would need some measurements (obviously). The thinner it gets, the harder it is to produce it.

Also keep in mind that the stain as well as original wood color have aged on your speakers, and new probably won't match. If they're in bad shape it may be better to have good wood in a different color though.

The strips are 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick. The longest edge is 23-7/16", the shortest is 14-3/16".

Well, if I'm understanding you correctly now (my first thought was the same as Glen's), you are saying that the particle board frames that you have need to be fronted by walnut strips measuring 3/4" x 1/8"? If that's the case, any cabinet makers shop should be able to make them for you out of their surplus walnut stock or cutoffs. Just do a search for Cabinet Makers in your area.

How about a pic of what you are working on?

GeeDeeEmm

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about, should have posted this first :

JBL-L100 grille strips.jpg

They may also be called a Millwork shop. I was just at an open house at a local one the other day, an impressive facility able to make anything from veneer to 3/8" walnut tongue and groove flooring to 2" thick glued-up oak countertops, and a lot more.

Caldwell 1.JPG

For a small quantity the price may be rather high because of the labor time to do the setup, but you never know, they might have the stuff laying around already.

Resurrecting an old thread because I find myself in need of six sets of these.

Lee, what solution did you end up going with?

Anyone every try to cut their own with a table saw, and then smooth with a belt sander?

You would need a very fine belt on that, the belt sander is quite an aggressive tool. :D

1/8" I think may be too thin for my planer to make, I think the limit is 3/32" or 1/4" but I'd have to check. :idea:

1/8" thickness can be done on a planer with a riser board. Walnut is fairly easy to machine so it shouldn't be a problem if the planer has sharp knives.

You can even rip them to size on a table saw with a good blade and then hand sand them after.

1/8" thickness can be done on a planer with a riser board. Walnut is fairly easy to machine so it shouldn't be a problem if the planer has sharp knives.

You can even rip them to size on a table saw with a good blade and then hand sand them after.
Yeah, I'm probably going to try that, I don't have a planer and don't see myself buying one just for this project.

Yeah, I'm probably going to try that, I don't have a planer and don't see myself buying one just for this project.

Reading your previous post I see that you are considering a belt sander. If it's of the hand-held type, you'll ruin the strips, they are too small for that type of sanding.

After ripping on the table saw, use a block sander with 80 grit to get the saw-blade marks off, then 120 grit or so and finish with 220. As I mentioned earlier, Walnut is fairly easy to machine so you should have no problems getting them to look good.

Reading your previous post I see that you are considering a belt sander. If it's of the hand-held type, you'll ruin the strips, they are too small for that type of sanding.

After ripping on the table saw, use a block sander with 80 grit to get the saw-blade marks off, then 120 grit or so and finish with 220. As I mentioned earlier, Walnut is fairly easy to machine so you should have no problems getting them to look good.
No, it's a bench sander, one of those combination disc and belt deals. But I'll try the manual method first.

No, it's a bench sander, one of those combination disc and belt deals. But I'll try the manual method first.

I should have thought my post through, actually any belt sander is not a good idea. The only power sander to use for narrow, thin stock would be a drum sander which works just like a thickness planer.

Hmm, I've never used a backer board, good idea. I guess double sided tape to hold it down?

Funny how many woodworking tricks I've never learned because I spend more time sawmilling and making stock than I do actually making things.

Back
Top Bottom