How do I kill the dynamics of my TV

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am so tired of turning the TV down when there is sound effects or music then turn it back up for dialogue.

Is there a fix for this?

is your Center channel a match (or better) than your Mains???...is there a setting either on your television or Audio equipment to compensate???...I get this more often than not myself...try this...does it do this when you are listening to a DVD/Blu-Ray with the same settings???...I wonder if you are having more an issue with the way the signal is coming from your provider than your equipment...I recently had a thread on here about TV quality with my AT&T U-verse...I can listen to it then listen to a movie on my OPPO and it is MUCH better than TV quality...

Good luck,

Bill

No center channel just left and right off a newer Sony reciever.

Yes I tried all the options on the TVs audio and the Sonys audio and the Apple TV box audio.

I wish I would have sprung for the next step up Sony. It had Bluetooth and I now have a set off bluetooth headphones I could use.

By the way, this is only an issue when my wife goes to bed.

Is there a way to hook up a bluetooth thingy to the Sony receiver so I can listen to TV through my bluetooth headphones?

May be a two-step process. HDMI-to-analog stereo audio adaptor (probably $20) then an analog-to-bluetooth adaptor (another 20).
I haven't looked, but there's probably a one-step solution, too.

Have you dived into the TV menus to look at the audio processing options? Some of them can make a positive difference.
I ended up getting a soundbar (horrors!) that would do the processing necessary to have the center channel (dialog) output available.

If your receiver doesn't have a floating ground, might work to take the positive leads from both channels and hook those into a third speaker to give you a simulated center channel. If it works, put that speaker closer to the seating area to bump up the dialog a bit without having to crank the volume.

If the receiver has a headphone jack, you can use a Bluetooth streamer. I used a MPOW device to stream my phone to a line in on my car. I believe it will stream the audio from the receiver to your headphones also. Screenshot_20180803-205928~01.jpg

A newer reciever with no center channel ?

If it does and you add one (center) you could try raising the center volume and lowering the mains.

A newer reciever with no center channel ?

If it does and you add one (center) you could try raising the center volume and lowering the mains.

Fortunately my processor has a remote that allows me to trim speaker levels on the fly. I usually raise the level of the center channel.

some things to try...your Sony IS a Home Theater receiver???...do you have it set up for a ghost Center then (where it uses both your left and right Mains to simulate a Center channel)???...it is not connected as Stereo, right...in your settings on the Sony, do you then have Center Channel (as well as sub or rears) off???...is your TV connection coming in with Multichannel or Stereo and are your connections digital or "red and white" analog???

good luck...I know this stuff can be frustrating at times...

Bill

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. The Sony is a straight up stereo. I spent a couple hours last night going through ALL the settings with no luck. I'm going to try the bluetooth streamer in the headphone jack and report back.

I have never had luck with dynamics with good old stereo sound. While I hope you get this fixed with what you have, I find so many great 5.1 receivers on the cheap that would remedy this for you.

For me, that's the most important thing - getting to hear the DIALOG as loudly and clearly as I need.

No center channel just left and right off a newer Sony reciever.
Have you told your receiver there is no center? That will mix its content into the L and R. Otherwise, you are always missing the intended level.

I never have that difficulty either using the center or configuring it out.

I prefer the DBX 119, you cannot only choose the amount of compression or limiting but at what level it goes into effect. You can set it up as a brickwall limiter, too. The sound is linear to a point and then everything else above that level is curtailed. It doesn't sound natural but it works. Some compressors have an over easy circuit starting off gradually controlling the sound , but then go into a full don't pass go mode at higher level modes, giving a more natural presentation. RDL makes a nice little gadget that works great that we installed allow ing overly dynamic CD's to be used for elevator music. Very natural sounding, and sill also compensate for different sources having some variation in over all sound level. RDL= Radio Design Labs.

Back
Top Bottom