Setting up my new Yamaha RX-A770 (Ohms)

Steve Pratt

Just joined this forum and just purchased my new Yamaha RX-A770 AVR.

I've been reading through some of the posts and got stuck on the one for setting up the ohm settings for the speakers.

My fronts are Definitive Technology BP-10s. The specs say Nominal Impedence of 6 ohms.

My center is also DT with Nominal Impedence of 8 ohms.

My rears (Rock Solid) with Nominal Impedence of 8 ohms.

When I set these up do I need to select either 6 or 8 or can I set them up individually? I haven't opened the box yet.

Thanks,
SP

Leave it at 8 ohms. The 6 ohm setting probably does more harm (to the sound) than good.

Hint - if the amp is running reasonably cool (i.e. not overheating) then it is OK with the load it is is seeing. I ran ~4 ohm speakers on my Yamaha RX-V2500 and RX-A2010 for years with no issues - however, they were high efficiency speakers so the amp really did not see a high power draw under normal listening conditions. Pushing low efficiency speakers at high volumes requires more power than an AVR is designed to deliver. Yeah, that's real scientific stuff so just go by how hot it gets and if it goes into protection mode then you need to change something.

Come to think of it, I have the older RX-A710 in the bedroom and zone 2 pushes a pair of 8 ohm outdoor speakers in parallel for a nominal 4 ohm load. No problems but I don't crank them out of respect for the neighbors.

Welcome to AK and the Yamaha family :beerchug:

Setting the speaker impedance on my Rx-A770 requires holding down the straight button and pressing the main zone button to begin the 5 step procedure. The unit has 2 settings. Factory set at 8 ohms for all speakers, or the 2'nd position which is 6 ohms. It allows for 4 ohm front speakers and 6 ohms for the 4 surround channels. I was worried about it's 4 ohm capability, But from the research I have done, There doesn't seem to be any problems in that respect.

The popular consciences among many audiophiles and some professional reviewers and service people alike is to leave the unit on the 8 ohm setting even with 4 ohm speakers unless you have a problem (like overheating or the protection circuit shutting off the amp). I think you will be fine leaving it in the 8 ohm setting.

As the rest have stated, always use the 8 Ohm setting. It delivers the most power and current. The 4/6 Ohm selection, actually current limits the power delivery, in order to protect the AVR. So, if the receiver stays cool, in 8 Ohms, you're good.

Setting the speaker impedance on my Rx-A770 requires holding down the straight button and pressing the main zone button to begin the 5 step procedure. The unit has 2 settings. Factory set at 8 ohms for all speakers, or the 2'nd position which is 6 ohms. It allows for 4 ohm front speakers and 6 ohms for the 4 surround channels. I was worried about it's 4 ohm capability, But from the research I have done, There doesn't seem to be any problems in that respect.

The popular consciences among many audiophiles and some professional reviewers and service people alike is to leave the unit on the 8 ohm setting even with 4 ohm speakers unless you have a problem (like overheating or the protection circuit shutting off the amp). I think you will be fine leaving it in the 8 ohm setting.
Still haven't found the 8 Ohms setting.

8 ohms is the default setting. See page 21 of the owners manual.
Thanks. I did see that, but unless I'm missing something there, they left out an important step... and as a result, page 21 did nothing for me. This video shows that the power needs to be OFF before pushing the buttons. Kind of important. Going to play with it some more after I get this first cup of coffee down:

I'm a little confused about this Screen:
On Screen > Scene > TV or Movie Viewing > Load > Detail.
I used the YPAO MIC to set up my speakers, and when I went in here "Surround" was NOT checked. Should this be checked or not? TIA

Attachments

• 20180517_141654.jpg
    20180517_141654.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10
I'm a little confused about this Screen:
On Screen > Scene > TV or Movie Viewing > Load > Detail.
I used the YPAO MIC to set up my speakers, and when I went in here "Surround" was NOT checked. Should this be checked or not? TIA

That screen is specifically for HDMI control. From what I can gather after reading the manual, HDMI control allows another AV audio input while using a compatible HDMI device. For most of us turn it off.

Got everything hooked up and working great. One weird issue... I have a new Samsung 4K Blu-ray player plugged into my Yamaha with HDMI. The Yamaha is connected to my Samsung (Curve) 4K TV, via HDMI. I popped in a 4K video and got this message on the screen. Any ideas other than the Blu-ray player was expected to be directly connected to a 4K TV?

Attachments

• 20180528_172217.jpg
    20180528_172217.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 16
That screen is specifically for HDMI control. From what I can gather after reading the manual, HDMI control allows another AV audio input while using a compatible HDMI device. For most of us turn it off.
HDMI control allows an external HDMI device like an Apple TV to control the AVR, volume control, bringing the AVR out of standby, switching to Apple TV. All from it’s remote, or App. If you have an Apple TV, Roku, FireTV, Chromecast, it is necessary to have this functioned turned on so they will work properly.

HDMI control allows an external HDMI device like an Apple TV to control the AVR, volume control, bringing the AVR out of standby, switching to Apple TV. All from it’s remote, or App. If you have an Apple TV, Roku, FireTV, Chromecast, it is necessary to have this functioned turned on so they will work properly.

OK, Thanks. I'm thinking of buying a Roku box for my dumb TV and might need it after all.

OK, Thanks. I'm thinking of buying a Roku box for my dumb TV and might need it after all.
Don’t bother with the Roku I have one, it was just taking up a HDMI slot. I like the Apple TV the most but the Amazon Firestick is right on it’s heels. Roku brags having 1000’s of channels most of them are junk. Do you want to pay a monthly subscription for channel to entertain a cat, there is one for your dog. The Amazon Fire Stick is cheap and has everything the Roku has. If you have and Amazon Prime account even better, if you have an Echo Dot still better. I just asked my Echo Dot to play a crappy Kung Fu movie and I am watching something called The Seven Steps of Kung Fu. And the “Your Kung Fu is no good I’m here to teach you a lesson” bad guy is kicking ass.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom