Sony PlayStation 1 - Interesting

It's no surprise that folks have been gushing over the PS1 for years. To my ears it's as good as the multitude of reviewers say it is. None of that edginess or digititus sound that you get from many well respected players. In the Stereophile review it is said to be more engaging than Sony's own SCD-777ES. On red book my 5501 is right up there with the Marantz SA8004. Finding a good one after all these years can be tricky.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-playstation-1-cd-player-page-2

Last edited:
I have one, it sounds a lot more pleasant than my DAC, an EMU 0202 USB (Creative USB DAC for production/mixing).

My system is very modest and I don't have much exposure to modern high end equipment. But if this is what people talk about when they talk about musicality, separation, naturalness, smooth highs, etc., then I'm all for it.

Unlike most other urban legends, this one can be easily and cheaply investigated. IME the SPS1 sounds great. If you can find one that's working that is. Plus... games!

People can call it urban legend all day long. There's no denying that the DAC chipset used in those were used in many "hi-end" CD players (high dollar also) for a long time.

That gold wouldn't be my choice but they have a variety of colors. I'd probably go with black or silver.

I agree. but I would like to meet the marketing guy that decided to put the gold version on youtube instead of the black or silver. Regardless, it looks like a PS1 with stickers on it. There are way better ways to mod the case:

khv1-jpg.9059

That gold wouldn't be my choice but they have a variety of colors. I'd probably go with black or silver.

Actually... now that I look at it a little more... if you did the plastic in black, and the stickers were woodgrain... hmmmmm maybe... :)

The top half of the PS1 comes off with a few screws and would be fairly easy to spray paint. If I do mine it would be in a semi gloss black.

Very interesting! Good tutorial. Semi gloss black is how they should have made it. Super nice.

Spotted one in my local Oxfam shop, £20. Shop was closed, so I may have to go and have a look to see what model it is...

£20 seems a bit steep, but it has two controllers, and I gave the local Sikh food kitchen £20 this evening as they were feeding the homeless...

Spotted one in my local Oxfam shop, £20. Shop was closed, so I may have to go and have a look to see what model it is...

£20 seems a bit steep, but it has two controllers, and I gave the local Sikh food kitchen £20 this evening as they were feeding the homeless...

Have to ensure it's a first edition (rca outs-SCPH 1001) otherwise modifications are required.

Back
Top Bottom