Topping D30 + CCA thumbs up.

Adam N.

Trying to keep it simple.
Just connected a Topping D30 to my CCA. it's running through a Schiit sys so it was east to A/B test them. I hooked up a second CCA from the same cast group and toggled back and forth. Its absolutely better than straight CCA analog signal.

Stereo separation seems better and thing like snare seem to have a steeper attack. Good stuff.

This seems like a very good cost effective step forward.

Last edited:
For $109 shipped (with coupon) from Parts Express with a 30 day money back guarantee that's worthwhile. Since CCA is our primary source it's really worth it.

Last edited:
Is there anything a DAC can do to combat the relatively high jitter coming from the SPDIF output of the CCA?

I love mine and have it streaming optical to a receiver working as the DAC, but I've always wondered if setting up a little small form factor PC with a lower jitter USB connection to the DAC would improve anything noticeably.

I'm saving for the D50 for mine. :)

I'll prob get 2 more Topping DACs and those will likely be D50s and move the D30 to a less hifi system, though I don't think there'll be any practical difference. I'll be nice to have the volume control built into the DAC as well. I am pretty sure the D50s may be measurably better but I doubt I'll hear it. I think that the 30 is the top of the diminishing return hill but we're talking about a three hundred bucks difference for 2 more dacs. So, pretty small potatoes.

If the jitter is causing an effect it doesn't seem like I'm going to be bothered about it. The less I know about jitter, the better.

The D30 is a clear step forward, for $100 you shouldn't bother running CCA without one.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to hear an A/B between using the topping and running through the DAC in a modern receiver. Obviously the DAC in the CCA is inferior to the Topping.

I do like the idea of being able to use the CCA with a vintage setup though. :)

I'd be curious to hear an A/B between using the topping and running through the DAC in a modern receiver. Obviously the DAC in the CCA is inferior to the Topping.

I do like the idea of being able to use the CCA with a vintage setup though. :)

FWIW, the D30 has a far better sound stage than the Pioneer Elite VSX-44 built in DAC I have.

To my ears anyhow.

Where it really shines tho is when fed thru the USB, The D30's XMOS chip is really good.

Eric

The problem is Chromecast Audio, which was a game changer for us. Multi-room wifi music over our vintage systems is amazing.

We're pretty new converts to hifi so just analog CCA output was really good to our ears. Through the D30 it was next level. Unless they update CCA or something with as many good qualities comes out I think we're wedded to toslink.

I have a total of four CCA's streaming through a variety of DAC's ( D30, Schiit MB and Audio GD NFB ). Even the $20 Fiio is an improvement over the CCA's DAC.

The CCA is one of the most convenient audio purchases I've made. I can sit on my screen porch with a tablet and stream to gear located inside the house connected to my outdoor speakers.

Hey folks, I'm thinking of getting a CCA. Are you connecting it via the S/PDIF optical to the DAC? I assume that's the preferred way to hook it up (vs. 3.5mm cable)?

Also, anyone have any opinions of the Topping D30 vs. the Schitt Modi2?

Thanks all!

Hey folks, I'm thinking of getting a CCA. Are you connecting it via the S/PDIF optical to the DAC? I assume that's the preferred way to hook it up (vs. 3.5mm cable)?

Thanks all!

AFAIK, the only way to get digital output from the Chromecast Audio is via optical.

With an adapter, the optical cable goes into the same 3.5mm hole.

(I have not heard the Topping. I do find the Modi 2 works well with the Chromecast Audio.)

Thanks all!

I have a Schiit Modi MB but prefer my D30. The MB cost $250 while the D30 on massdrop was $99. It's a no brainer choice.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the only way to get digital output from the Chromecast Audio is via optical.

With an adapter, the optical cable goes into the same 3.5mm hole.

(I have not heard the Topping. I do find the Modi 2 works well with the Chromecast Audio.)

Ah, I just assumed the CCA had 2 output ports, a 3.5 and optical. I assume there's a cable that will do 3.5 on one end and optical on the other.

I have a Schiit Modi MB but prefer my D30. The MB cost $250 while the D30 on massdrop was $99. It's a no brainer choice.

OK, good to know thanks. I see the Schiit modi 2 is $99.00 at Schitt's site and the D30 is $120 at parts-express. Not a huge difference in price, so I'll probably go with the D30.

A
OK, good to know thanks. I see the Schiit modi 2 is $99.00 at Schitt's site and the D30 is $120 at parts-express. Not a huge difference in price, so I'll probably go with the D30.

He was comparing it to the Shciit Modi Multibit, which is $249+ shipping. This would net out around $265. So, big difference, more than 2x the price. The D30 is $119 from Parts Express and google a coupon for $10 off. So, $109 all in with a month long return policy.

Massdrop also has the D50 for $199 now. I just got in on that drop for another system.

The offerings from Topping crush all the cheap dacs. My D30 looks great too. Very unassuming.

Last edited:
I am also running that Fospower cable. There seems to be consensus that Fospower is the best low cost offering for cheapish cables.

Consider the D50 if you also want volume control. Something like the Schiit Sys volume control is going to be sixty with the shipping. At that point you're only paying a $40 premium for the D50. I am not sure how much better CCA over Toslink can be but everyone reckons the the D50 is even more of a giant killer DAC than the D30. You cannot go wrong with either.

I am also running that Fospower cable. There seems to be consensus that Fospower is the best low cost offering.

Consider the D50 if you also want volume control. Something like the Schiit Sys is going to be sixty with the shipping. At that point you're only paying a $40 premium for the D50. I am not sure how much better CCA over Toslink can be but everyone reckons the the D50 is even more of a giant killer DAC than the D30. You cannot go wrong with either.

Thanks. Ordered the CCA audio, fospower cable, and D30 today. Yea me!

I have a total of four CCA's streaming through a variety of DAC's ( D30, Schiit MB and Audio GD NFB ). Even the $20 Fiio is an improvement over the CCA's DAC.

The CCA is one of the most convenient audio purchases I've made. I can sit on my screen porch with a tablet and stream to gear located inside the house connected to my outdoor speakers.

Yup, same here. It's amazing for parties too. Great to be able to simulcast to the whole house so easy. We have a "morning" cast group that includes the bedroom and kitchen so as we get up and leave the house it's all seamless.

CCA allows us to use our hifi stuff more and that add real value. We also have google home so we can just say "turn on tubes" and our old Dynaco monoblocks turn on. Then we say "play Beck on Tubes" and Beck starts playing. It's amazing. Now, with the DAC it sounds even better than it did. We junked our other music sources because we never used them.

Back
Top Bottom