Broadway Listeners???

KingBubba

"Too Much Stuff"
I am spending today, a rainy day, hanging out and listening to some Broadway tunes. At present, I am listening to "Company" by Stephen Sondheim. In my acting days, in college, I was in this show; so it holds a special appeal for me. This and a number of other shows that I was in are highly nostalgic for me.

I knew in college that I was never going to pursue the life of an actor. I did end up in the business as a theater head electrician. Over the 38 year spent I saw, and worked on, around 5 musicals a year. I can't remember how many times I saw "Cats", but I never want to hear or see it again, the same goes for rent. A lot of the shows, though, do hold memories with them. I saw and heard many talented people over the years. I got to hang out with the likes of Werner Klempner "Colonel Klink" and Larry Storch of F-Troop fame. They were my two favorites. Mickey Rooney, on the other hand, was a true and total ass.

I wondered if there were any Broadway fans on AK. What are your favorites?

I'm sorry but the first thing I thought of when I read the message header was Kevin Kline in the movie In and Out.
Having admitted that, you seemed to have had quite an interesting career in the business. "Broadway", when it comes up on Jeopardy usually evokes a groan from me. I'm just another southern "heathern".

My folks wanted me to be a doctor or lawyer or such like. I fought back and ended up in the theater. I would never ask for a do over. Don't feel bad WS, I have no friends or family who like it either. I only play it when my wife is at bingo. :)

I've never heard the quadraphonic remix of COMPANY...but would like to locate a copy one day. Have a lot of the Columbia original cast albums on reel to reel of '60s shows (though, the orchestrations for their often filmed counterparts made better soundtrack recordings).

I've never heard the quadraphonic remix of COMPANY...but would like to locate a copy one day. Have a lot of the Columbia original cast albums on reel to reel of '60s shows (though, the orchestrations for their often filmed counterparts made better soundtrack recordings).
There is a copy available right now on that famous internet auction website. Company - Columbia SQ 30993. There is an excerpt from Company on the An Introduction to the World of Quadraphonic Sound sampler disc, Columbia QX 31403.

The musical Annie, original original soundtrack, is an excellent quadraphonic (SQ) musical soundtrack.

Last edited:
Saw Gypsy the other weekend, nothing quite like live Theatre. Don’t care for Cats, or any of Andy Webber’s over produced crap, but Sondheim’s stuff is top notch.

I worked 39 years in the theater and of the 6 to 8 shows I worked on every year there was usually no more than one that I would like. Les Miserable was my all time favorite. I saw Cats, Rent, Stomp, Mama Mia and a handful of other shows so many times that I thought I would go crazy sitting in the light booth. I could, on the other hand see "Crazy for You" by Gerschwin many more times. I worked "Sugar Babies" on the road. I have some good memories of being on the road, but I got very tired of that show after about the 8th week.

I know friends that spent multiple years on the road with the same show. I don't know how they could do it. My 16 weeks was enough. I had one friend get off the road and go to Law School and become the Chief Prosecutor of Spokane, Washington. What a jump.

Back
Top Bottom