Infinity Quantum line source QLS1 & Infinity RS crossover

Looks like two of the mids have been replaced. I wonder if they match in output..... You really need to have something played through them to evaluate them properly, so yes, I'd give them a lowball offer since there may be a lot of work involved and extra money spent to restore them.

Larry D.

The domes are the most fragile and the hardest part to fix so If you can't be sure how many work, low-ball or bail altogether. Tweeters, woofers and, most importantly, the pots can be easily repaired. Top two domes do not match, however I have seen these domes on other Infinity speakers, they may be a pretty close match.

Buy the crossover!

Those two mids are Infinity replacements(audax)
A visual inspection of the tinsel wires on the mids will show if there are any breaks as this is the main culprit of them not working.
If not already performed a recap is a must on these.
Oh, the grill covers are must;)

Take a empty paper towel cardboard tube and listen to each driver. If some tweeters are silent they will need the solder bottoms on the diaphragms reflowed. If the mids are silent then they will need repaired or replaced. The mid bass couplers almost never go bad but the rubber surrounds can crack and dry out. The Watkins woofers just need refoamed if they haven’t already been done. The pots are easy to clean but not so easy to remove. The crossover may have to come out for that depended on the layout and how big your fingers are. The woofer circuit may need recapped.

They are like owning an old car, I’m fiddling around with them all the time. Broken mids, dirty pots, tweeters that stop working...hard to just relax and listen without wondering “what’s wrong with them now”. If you are not a diy guy or hate fooling around with old speakers they may not be for you but when they are correct they are very hard to best. If they are local to you consider yourself fortunate as the are hard to find.

Btw that looks like a real nice pair, good luck!
Jim

I would get them if they're 1K or less, but I'm a bargain hunter. The mids can be repaired with a fine braided type tinsel which makes a connection which will never break again. My re-tinseled mid domes have a definite louder output than the old straight wire ones do. The QLS do take some effort to rebuild, but I've never heard complaints from those who have done it. As Jim says, that looks like a real nice pair.

Larry D.

They are like owning an old car, I’m fiddling around with them all the time. Broken mids, dirty pots, tweeters that stop working...hard to just relax and listen without wondering “what’s wrong with them now”.
See that's really what I don't want

If they are local to you consider yourself fortunate as the are hard to find.

Btw that looks like a real nice pair, good luck!
But this is, I like having some of the beast hard to find stuff. But stuff I can use and not have to dick with it all the time.

I didn't call him today because of all this and I'm sitting on the fence.

But this is, I like having some of the beast hard to find stuff. But stuff I can use and not have to dick with it all the time.

With the vintage Infinitys you will have to do some restoring unless you have someone else do the work. When properly done, you will not have to mess with them again for a long time.

Larry D.

When properly done, you will not have to mess with them again for a long time.

Larry D.
There are a lot of drivers in these to keep running and they do let you down even when you think you are done. Totally worth it though as they are amazing and sound like they aren’t even there.

4-2-7 If they are not your cup of tea you could always resale them. People will drive from all over to buy them. If the seller has been using them they may be plug and play.

That xo is worth some money. It is for the RS4.5 and RS2.5 models. May want to keep just Incase you find a pair of those some time.
Jim

Last edited:

I don't blame you.
However, my hunch is they are fine and probably only need to have couple caps replaced for SQ.
I had a one time "dick around" when I first got them and haven't once worried
about speaker failure.
A one time fix.
The big concern would be whether, like any speaker, they'd be completely to your taste.

I'm going to be the oddball and say I'd be heading south for those IIB's.

Shh, if you tell everyone, they'll get expensive. Then again, we've both got a pair,

These are absolutely keepers (RS IIb)

Thanks! @7.62

But I suspect I'd be just as happy with a pair of the mighty QLS 1

I agree with all that's been said so far, after owning them myself and I'm by no means saying there all the same and everyone's different. My experience wasn't that great with the mighty QLS-1, I think it had a lot to do with my small space. So I'd say by all means get them if there reasonable. But be prepared, they need some room to breath, also the crossovers and the pots, if they need updating and they probably do, if you can't do it, your buying into finding someone that can. Being up in the Bay Area I'm not sure but maybe your chances are better at finding someone who can. The mids are almost unobtainable now, and again I don't know anyone that can repair them, maybe millersound. The emits aren't much of a problem.

I'm now a die hard Infinity guy, so I'd for sure be looking at them, depending on price which he's taking offers.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, let us know 427, you have the right gear to make them sing that's for sure :thumbsup:

Take what I say with a grain of salt, let us know 427, you have the right gear to make them sing that's for sure :thumbsup:
Yeah, just putting a feeler out, it's not like I need any more speaker, well maybe another set of Martin Logan, been wanting some small JBL studio monitors.

IMG_3369.JPG IMG_3366.JPG

But living here in this area lots of things come up to play with.

Back
Top Bottom