Kappa 8's Emit K

Tia

Did you say birds?
I have been running these for about 4 months now. I fired up the system (no music plating yet) this morning while I was dusting and noticed a hiss/static from one of the rear firing Emit K tweeters. I checked the remaining 3 and they all have some hiss/static. One has a louder hiss/static than the other 3. The other 3 seem to be the same. I increased the volume (without any music playing) and it did not increase the static/hiss. Also, the adjustments on the back did not make any difference regarding the static. The one with the loudest static, I can hear standing about 2 feet away, the other 3 about a foot away. The all work when playing music. No other drivers have this issue. I'm going to guess this isn't normal for Emit K's. Has anybody here experienced this issue? Any ideas on where to focus to fix?
I'm driving these with my MC2200 and C28.
Thanks for the help.
Bob
emitk.jpg

I have been running these for about 4 months now. I fired up the system (no music plating yet) this morning while I was dusting and noticed a hiss/static from one of the rear firing Emit K tweeters. I checked the remaining 3 and they all have some hiss/static. One has a louder hiss/static than the other 3. The other 3 seem to be the same. I increased the volume (without any music playing) and it did not increase the static/hiss. Also, the adjustments on the back did not make any difference regarding the static. The one with the loudest static, I can hear standing about 2 feet away, the other 3 about a foot away. The all work when playing music. No other drivers have this issue. I'm going to guess this isn't normal for Emit K's. Has anybody here experienced this issue? Any ideas on where to focus to fix?
I'm driving these with my MC2200 and C28.
Thanks for the help.
Bob
View attachment 1251130

I have, so far in my long journey with Infinity Emits, and for the last couple a decades, Emims, have to say,

if the tweeter itself is not failing or failed by crossed pathways, the sounds you describe have always been explained in my systems by failures somwhere else in the chain, that the Emit is just reproducing what it's fed.

Just this last week, after getting my RS 2b set up, I discovered a new source of distortion, interefeirence audible (to my ears,with the new Infinity's, but had been present recently occasionally, causing me to wonder if something was wrong with my Maggies)made me start searching

I chased this particular gremlin pretty deep before I found it.

First off, I checked that the distortion was present with other sources (chromecast audio, chromecast, fully balanced connection from my audio server in the bedroom,) or that the distortion was or wasn't there with the seconday amplification system I've got set up in parallel, (dayton 94 something 100 wpc chipamp) and only when I was able to isolate it to the media computer, through three different audio outputs( usb dac, balanced audio outputs, hdmi audio output) and when I could hear it on all of them, and not from any ohter source, I knew i had to tear the chain down and find the flaw.
The power cord (standard upc three prong cord) of the htpc computer had pulled out a little over halfway from the power supply it was being fed from.

Usually it ( audible distortion) has been amplifier circuit failure, pre-amp circuit failure, etc etc
This time it was distorion being added into the exposed prongs as rf frequencies, it was odd how it created a 'warbling' distortion from the emits/emims, and also from the maggies true ribbon right before I swapped the new infinitys in.

This has been a major reason why I've gone to a reputable power conditioner, and had to rehab most of my carver amps, because with infinity speakers, and maggie speakers, I could hear distortions in the original signal to a level I never though possible before.

iow or tl;dr check and double check your entire signal path before you point blame at the emits, they're likely just 'giving you' what they're fed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tia
I had similar results with my K9s thought is was the speaker hissing turns out its the Parasound phono amp I have is noisy. Switch to cd and it’s compete silence.

check and double check your entire signal path before you point blame at the emits, they're likely just 'giving you' what they're fed.[/QUOTE]

Well I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of AR9's from another AK member and the problem still persists so I know now its not the Emits as you guys have indicated above. The emits sure do a good job of amplify the noise.
I unplugged the input to each amp so all I'm running is power with no signal, although weaker, there is still a hiss. One amp, that looks to be stock, has a louder hiss than the other. The other amp, that is quieter, looks to have new power caps. Not sure what other work has been done.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Yeah, that has happened to me. The Kappas are maybe more efficient than some of your other speakers so it is not as noticeable.

I agree with the others--work your way back up "the chain"--EMITs are quite sensitive and revealing. You are hearing the "background noise" that is being fed to them.

Well I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of AR9's from another AK member and the problem still persists so I know now its not the Emits as you guys have indicated above. The emits sure do a good job of amplify the noise.
I unplugged the input to each amp so all I'm running is power with no signal, although weaker, there is still a hiss. One amp, that looks to be stock, has a louder hiss than the other. The other amp, that is quieter, looks to have new power caps. Not sure what other work has been done.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Well, glad that you're zeroing on the source of your distortion. I'm happy that it's not the Kappa 8's. And I can't knock your choice of back up speakers. A pair of AR9's aren't too shabby to have sitting around. I'm also curious as to how they compare to the Kappa's, with both being 4 way speakers?

Last edited:
Many power amps will produce a small amount of hiss, even with no input. My Genelec studio monitors (active speakers) even produce some hiss when I put my ear directly up to the tweeter. But in my experience, once you get out to your listening position, you can't hear it any more.

A pair of AR9's aren't too shabby to have sitting around. I'm also curious as to how they compare to the Kappa's, with both being 4 way speakers?
My first impression is the 9's are a bit laid back if not warmer compared to the 8's. They fill the room just as well as the 8's. I like to give myself a week or two listening to form an all around comparison. To be honest I hooked the 9's up last night and started drinking wine...……..The more I drank to more the volume went up :beerchug:
I'm happy that it's not the Kappa 8's
I'm very relieved it's not the 8's. For now the brazillian rosewood beauties will take a break underneath the soft cover of a comforter.
Many power amps will produce a small amount of hiss, even with no input.
My pre amp was serviced a month ago so I know that is running to spec. My power amps came from 2 different sources, one source I assumed sent it out running in spec, the other source was a local private party. I will eventually send them both to my tech for a check up.

Back
Top Bottom