Tears For Fears"...What's your take on this band?

Quadman2

Lunatic Member
To date have only tried to get into two tunes "Everybody...", and "Shout". The rest, I never paid much attention to until today.

What got me into this band this day was... while attending a Blues Festival" last night, one band must have run outta blues material and did the big TFF's hit of the 80's, "Everybody's...Rule". For just the three players on stage they did a decent job of it, with some tricky guitar licks from the lead. Frankly, I thought it was brave of them to do this number, as the audience was expecting some get down blues tunes. But, the crowd really seemed to like this song as shown by the reaction when they finished.

Anyways, tried to look up some stuff on this band on AK, but could find little in the way of what AK'ers thought of this English group who did hit #'1 in more than one country. So decided to see what others thought/think of these performers. Some of their stuff has shades of "Beatles" in them, and the harmony is quite good. A soft rock sound that must have appealed to many at the time.

So...anyone ever get into this group for reasons, or not?

Curious.

Q

Last edited:
To date have only tried to get into two tunes "Everybody's...", and "Shout". The rest, I never paid much attention to until today.

What got me into this band this day was... while attending a Blues Festival" last night, one band must have run outta blues material and did the big TFF's hit of the 80's, "Everybody's...Rule". For just the three players on stage they did a decent job of it, with some tricky guitar licks from the lead. Frankly, I thought it was brave of them to do this number, as the audience was expecting some get down blues tunes. But, the crowd really seemed to like this song as shown by the reaction when they finished.

Anyways, tried to look up some stuff on this band on AK, but could find little in the way of what AK'ers thought of this English group who did hit #'1 in more than one country. So decided to see what others thought/think of these performers. Some of their stuff has shades of "Beatles" in them, and the harmony is quite good. A soft rock sound that must have appealed to many at the time.

So...anyone ever get into this group for reasons, or not?

Curious.

Q

I listened to them back in the crazy 80's.. I think those were their 2 big hits. I definitely wouldn't expect to hear them at a blues festival!

Really enjoyed their music back in day, being an English kid growing up in the Eighties we had a huge array of great acts to follow.

Similar bands of the time were OMD, the Lightning Seeds, Aztec Camera, Prefab Sprout, Joy Division to name a few. All fantastic, still have a lot of original CD and vinyl from them.

For me Tears For Fears, Songs From The Big Chair Album is all I need from them. Yep big 80s band and mostly because of that record so I'm good with it when in the 80s mood.

While I like a lot of the sounds of the 80s, a lot of it dated very fast. It was a fun fast time with your nose packed with coke, but we do grow up.

That reminds me of another big 80s band but not that new wave sound

Last edited:
I have two of their albums, "The Hurting" and "Songs From The Big Chair". Both have lots of excellent songs on them, even outside of the big hits. Other UK bands I listen to from that time period include Ultravox, The Teardrop Explodes (plus some of Julian Cope's solo work), and Echo & The Bunnymen.
-Adam

Very solid band. I'm sure they have/had their haters but as a musician, I count them as a good, solid band with plenty of good tunes.

Ya, gotta agree with that typical time period sound. As soon as an 80's tune hits the waves, you nail it as from that time.

But, there's just something...mystical about that one tune, "Everybody Wants To Rule The World". Guess special sound effects work the ear here on the arrangement.

A kind of sameness to the overall sound of the group. Pleasing, but nothing to stir ya into any dancing. :rockon: More for just reflecting...or as already suggested...some "interacting":beatnik: time.

And, right...it was strange to hear this tune at the Blues gathering.

Thanks for the shares.:thumbsup:

Q

A top notch band of quality musicians who had enough pull for other talented musicians to want to work with them. Look at the roster on “The Seeds Of Love” as a for instance. “Elemental” is also a fine work, “Goodnight Song” was and is one of the better bits of popular music written. Another sign, a lot of other bands cover their music to this day. “A” grade stuff to me.

Songs from the Big Chair is in my rotation in the Denali, it is good traveling music. The song "I believe" was great but the video for it blew chunks.

For me Tears For Fears, Songs From The Big Chair Album is all I need from them. Yep big 80s band and mostly because of that record so I'm good with it when in the 80s mood.

While I like a lot of the sounds of the 80s, a lot of it dated very fast. It was a fun fast time with your nose packed with coke, but we do grow up.

That reminds me of another big 80s band but not that new wave sound

Ha! A buddy and I drove once from Fairbanks AK to Seattle (2300 miles with almost NO radio stations) with only ONE Tape.. Goddmamn Hewy Lewis and the Snooze!.. I think somewhere in southern BC it got tossed out the window cuz we were getting punchy after 40 hours of nonstop driving. But to this day just hearing that LP would bring up the gag reflex in me! Like IN A Godda Da Vida did in the early 70's...

As for Tears, I think their 90's albums are much better and more my thing.. Songs from the Big Chair doesn't get much play.. yeah it's the 80's thing I guess..

My wife was a big fan. Saw them in concert at GMU Patriot Center 89/90? Blondie opened for them or it was a dual bill. The lead singer has a big voice.

Back
Top Bottom