Patrick Stewart to reprise his Role As Captain Picard.

Wonder if he's scheduled a promo on Blunt Talk yet? <G>

Because their Business Model is Broadcast, not payTV.
Plus, they are the only network who has not been bought and coopted by other media chains ...
CBS is still (basically) Columbia Broadcasting Services ---
Disney owns ABC, Comcast own NBC/Universal, Fox is Fox ... ;)

I really like the character, but if it doesn't come in via ROKU's Netflix and Amazon streams, or OTA, then I won't see it for a year, or more, after the premier. Kicked cable and sat long ago - imo, they charge too much for too little, and offer very crappy service to boot.

Agree on the pay-for CBS thing

Apparently Discovery wasn't received all that well, so maybe the thinking is to restart a well-liked series as a safer way to make some $. Personally I didn't mind Discovery that much, other than the Klingons were a serious WTF change when compared to them in every other ST series.

Because their Business Model is Broadcast, not payTV.
Plus, they are the only network who has not been bought and coopted by other media chains ...
CBS is still (basically) Columbia Broadcasting Services ---
Disney owns ABC, Comcast own NBC/Universal, Fox is Fox ... ;)

My “why” was not in response to CBS’s business model, but “why” bring back the Jean-Puke character at all?

Last edited:
Oh good, I get to miss Stewart's portrayal of "Captain Picard" for a second time. Maybe I'll get a shot @ a hat trick? (we should live so long...)

Oh good, I get to miss Stewart's portrayal of "Captain Picard" for a second time. Maybe I'll get a shot @ a hat trick? (we should live so long...)
More than twice - he did the TV show, plus 4 movies ...
plus a tone of youtube parodies ...
and MANY internet memes ...
Oh, and Duc - lots of folks DID like Picard and TNG - it ran 7 years,
some folks might like to know where he went afterwards ...
and not just to the wheelchair with the X-spokes. ;)

If the storytelling is well done, it could be amusing ...
But like I said, I'm not paying a premium to do so ...

Last edited:
More than twice - he did the TV show, plus 4 movies ...
plus a tone of youtube parodies ...
and MANY internet memes ...
Oh, and Duc - lots of folks DID like Picard and TNG - it ran 7 years,
some folks might like to know where he went afterwards ...
and not just to the wheelchair with the X-spokes. ;)

If the storytelling is well done, it could be amusing ...
But like I said, I'm not paying a premium to do so ...

Yeah it ran for 7 years. It was alright in parts. That was then. This is now. If they can’t write a new show that can stand in its own, then maybe they should just stop.

Yeah it ran for 7 years. It was alright in parts. That was then. This is now. If they can’t write a new show that can stand in its own, then maybe they should just stop.
Ummm - they DID stop. Its been quite a while since "Enterprise" (2001-2005) was cancelled.
But people like the Trek Universe ...and frankly, I'll take a well written Trek series over yet another cop procedural or hospital trauma show.
But that's the unknown - will it be well written, or just another prance of the redshirts and phaser pistols brigade?

Ummm - they DID stop. Its been quite a while since "Enterprise" (2001-2005) was cancelled.
But people like the Trek Universe ...and frankly, I'll take a well written Trek series over yet another cop procedural or hospital trauma show.
But that's the unknown - will it be well written, or just another prance of the redshirts and phaser pistols brigade?

Yes they stopped, probably at the top for the franchise. But now they are starting again, and with a TNG retread, no less. :rolleyes:

Cop procedural show? What’s that?

Yes they stopped, probably at the top for the franchise. But now they are starting again, and with a TNG retread, no less. :rolleyes:

Cop procedural show? What’s that?
Something we don't watch - but there seems to be a wealth of CIS, NCIS, Hawaii 50, Magnum Returns,
and the like all over the airwaves - many tagged as "a WolfDick production" ... or some such ...

I admit, I never watched "Enterprise" that much - I liked the premise - but caught a few episodes here and there that just seemed "cheesy"
- a temporal war with Aliens supporting the Nazis to change earth's place in the future ...
Alternate history is one thing (High Tower anyone?) - but Enterprise was low-budgety and looked it, even more so in the later seasons ... But I wasn't a Voyager fan after the 2nd season either ...again, I wanted to like it ...

The good Trek shows ended with Deep Space Nine for me ...

Something we don't watch - but there seems to be a wealth of CIS, NCIS, Hawaii 50, Magnum Returns,
and the like all over the airwaves - many tagged as "a WolfDick production" ... or some such ...

I admit, I never watched "Enterprise" that much - I liked the premise - but caught a few episodes here and there that just seemed "cheesy"
- a temporal war with Aliens supporting the Nazis to change earth's place in the future ...
Alternate history is one thing (High Tower anyone?) - but Enterprise was low-budgety and looked it, even more so in the later seasons ... But I wasn't a Voyager fan after the 2nd season either ...again, I wanted to like it ...

The good Trek shows ended with Deep Space Nine for me ...

Well the temporal Cold War was kinda started in Voyager. The ST canon was hosed starting with TNG, so they made the best of it. BTW, the bit with the Nazis was just one minor part of the temporal Cold War story arc.

And just how did it look low budget? At least it did not look like the Love Boat set of TNG.

Voyager got better as the series progressed. DS9 felt like a soap opera, without everyone cheating on each other. :D

I know the Nazis bit was just a bit of the Temporal war,
but that's when it was obvious they were just tossing things in for gratification ...
(the whole universe to work with and ... Nazis?)
after trying to watch that episode, it was obvious there was nothing there for me and I never tuned back in.
And there was the gratuitous fanboy appeal of bringing in a Maxim model as TPol ...
Just seemed like they could have done better with the richness of the Star Trek universe ...-

Guess we differ here ...

I know the Nazis bit was just a bit of the Temporal war,
but that's when it was obvious they were just tossing things in for gratification ...
(the whole universe to work with and ... Nazis?)
after trying to watch that episode, it was obvious there was nothing there for me and I never tuned back in.
And there was the gratuitous fanboy appeal of bringing in a Maxim model as TPol ...
Just seemed like they could have done better with the richness of the Star Trek universe ...-

Guess we differ here ...

I guess so. I will take nazis over all the early TNG seasons featuring Wesley crusher.

Back
Top Bottom