Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

In the spirit of a healthy bump, I found this guy's recent uploads on the tube to be nicely representative of the depth and timbre of the GT-2000's bass capabilities. I'm sure someone will drop in here and tell me why it sounds like garbage blah blah but I'm going to leave it here anyway:

Enjoy or find yet another reason to shake your fist at the heavens.

Amazing.

I apologise for the fact that the following isn't in English but I'd love to see what these people could do regarding a heavyweight platter for the GT 2000 series.

https://vnav.vn/threads/tvt-analog-shop-chuyen-cac-phu-kien-ve-dia-than.30728/

I'd say a GT platter would be pretty easy for them. Their stuff looks well made and nicely polished. You might need to have someone scan your platter into CAD locally but once they have the dimensions this shop could probably knock it out. Good find.

He shoulda used the LH-8000 like I did :) It also somewhat matches the wood color of the GT-2000L, but I guess with his being the black model he went with the 9000 instead. I never would have thought there would be such a mass difference between these two, but clearly there is.

I also have a Supex SD-900 IV with a ruby cantilever that I just mounted up to a Yamamoto HS-1AS today. I will be dialing that in after dinner. I've been going back and forth with that and an Ortfon 540 and the Supex will be the daily driver. I want to limit the hours on my Spectral MCR Signature...it sounds really good and it is a perfect match for the LH-8000 and the GT-2K's arm.

jblnut

just a word to the wise...i'm pretty sure somewhere in these 26 pages there was some praise for HiFiDo; i'm here to rain on that parade. hard.

as a long time (former) resident of japan, i almost inevitably praise the seemingly innate japanese ability to pay attention to detail, especially in the service sector; however, i recently used hifido (for the first and last time) to purchase a couple of amps and not only did they write the incorrect street address on the EMS packages but also failed to include my apartment number. the amps are now lost in no man's land.

furthermore, the amps that i supposedly bought and that they supposedly shipped are still listed on their website AND another pair WITH THE SAME SERIAL NUMBERS were sold FOR LESS MONEY last month. so, until they return the $2300 they received from me, they're on my sh*t list, and i would caution anyone wanting to do business with them to use extreme care.

i purchased my GT2000 from a seller (store) on yahoo auctions by the name of Hakana113 - polite, professional, punctual, and packed beyond incredibly well (imho).

just a word to the wise...i'm pretty sure somewhere in these 26 pages there was some praise for HiFiDo; i'm here to rain on that parade. hard.

as a long time (former) resident of japan, i almost inevitably praise the seemingly innate japanese ability to pay attention to detail, especially in the service sector; however, i recently used hifido (for the first and last time) to purchase a couple of amps and not only did they write the incorrect street address on the EMS packages but also failed to include my apartment number. the amps are now lost in no man's land.

furthermore, the amps that i supposedly bought and that they supposedly shipped are still listed on their website AND another pair WITH THE SAME SERIAL NUMBERS were sold FOR LESS MONEY last month. so, until they return the $2300 they received from me, they're on my sh*t list, and i would caution anyone wanting to do business with them to use extreme care.

i purchased my GT2000 from a seller (store) on yahoo auctions by the name of Hakana113 - polite, professional, punctual, and packed beyond incredibly well (imho).

You are correct. In fact, from everything I've read, hifido is the ONLY place to buy a GT 2000 with any assurance it will arrive intact. So.... since I thought hifido was THE place to eventually buy my GT, I am very interested in what eventually happens with your purchase.

That's odd that you had such a lousy time with Hifido. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen anyone be less than happy with them.

Speaking of Yahoo JP I've bought from there before using a proxy site and had everything so spectacularly overpacked it's been amazing. I've been thinking about a 2000 or even a 1000 but I'm worried that would be the one time the seller would get lazy and I'd get a box of broken wood and plastic. Also I can't speak Japanese so trying to get a proxy site to ask them to pack it with the platter off, etc seems like a fools errand.

Wow, oolalajp, I'm pretty shocked to hear about that. I've ordered my GT, B-2x amp and NS-1000x speakers as well as other small items from hifido without issue. Unless the owner owes the yakuza, is addicted to Ginza hostess clubs and blew his entire stash on pachinko I'm pretty sure they would exemplify "okyakusama wa okamisama" and make it right. Have you reached out to them? This is epic level embarrassment for a shop.

Last edited:
That's odd that you had such a lousy time with Hifido. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've seen anyone be less than happy with them.

Speaking of Yahoo JP I've bought from there before using a proxy site and had everything so spectacularly overpacked it's been amazing. I've been thinking about a 2000 or even a 1000 but I'm worried that would be the one time the seller would get lazy and I'd get a box of broken wood and plastic. Also I can't speak Japanese so trying to get a proxy site to ask them to pack it with the platter off, etc seems like a fools errand.

I love using yahoo jp auction but it is a gamble. You mostly win but you can lose. You would want it to be clear that the table will be packed for international shipping. Japanese handlers are so easy on stuff that they can afford to pack it lighter for domestic parcels.

I've had nothing but excellent experiences with multiple purchases from HiFiDo over the last 10+ years, the last being a pair of Yamaha NS-2000 speakers in spectacular condition.

I have no doubt that HiFiDo will deal appropriately with your issue.

I can also add to the priaise for Hi-Fi Do. I've bought several smaller items, plus Yamaha NS-1000MMs and a Sony PS-X9 from them and their service and packaging has always been exemplary.

Wow, oolalajp, I'm pretty shocked to hear about that. I've ordered my GT, B-2x amp and NS-1000x speakers as well as other small items from hifido without issue. Unless the owner owes the yakuza, is addicted to Ginza hostess clubs and blew his entire stash on pachinko I'm pretty sure they would exemplify "okyakusama wa okamisama" and make it right. Have you reached out to them? This is epic level embarrassment for a shop.

we're currently trading messages, but i've yet to see the amps. they'll probably be returned to japan since they were sent with the wrong street address and did not include our apartment number. currently they seem to be in no man's land.

i don't doubt other forum members' positive experiences. i'm usually at the front of the pack singing the praises of japanese packing and general level of service; they almost always go above and beyond, with a smile. unfortunately, that has not been my experience so far this time.

we're currently trading messages, but i've yet to see the amps. they'll probably be returned to japan since they were sent with the wrong street address and did not include our apartment number. currently they seem to be in no man's land.

i don't doubt other forum members' positive experiences. i'm usually at the front of the pack singing the praises of japanese packing and general level of service; they almost always go above and beyond, with a smile. unfortunately, that has not been my experience so far this time.

Well I hope this unfortunate situation has a happy result. I know I'd be freaking out if I spent that much and it was a no show.

What record weight / clamp / or other method for coupling the record to the platter are people using with their GT-2000?

I'm using a Heliopad Luna S - 2.8lbs of stainless steel. Stock photo:

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:
What record weight / clamp / or other method for coupling the record to the platter are people using with their GT-2000?

I'm using a Heliopad Luna S - 2.8lbs of stainless steel. Stock photo:

View attachment 1253733

Per my avatar I am using the classic YDS-8. I was using a YDS-3 but that will be set aside for my 2000L (whenever I can bring it back from Tokyo...). The Luna S looks pretty smooth.

For those using the standard head shell, what wires are you using? It seems that the pins are tiny compared to the usual aftermarket shells that have the same size pins as carts. I'm using the factory wiring on the head shell for my YPD-71 which seems to have the same tiny pins. I just picked up a GT-2000 head shell, sans wiring, to use for an MC cart that I haven't picked out yet and will eventually need something to connect the two up.

Back
Top Bottom