Need help in Connecticut with Eico HF-81

jeb98

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently had my Eico HF-81 restored and when I got it mailed back to me there was a problem upon plugging it in. One of the channels was noisy and then began cutting out. It appears to be quieter as well on this channel (left). I checked and it is not the speaker chord polarity. I switched the tubes to see if it was a bad tube and that was not the issue as far as I can tell. I tried tapping on some of the solder joints on the volume and focus knobs and suddenly the noise went away at one point and the channel was playing well. Then it went back. Perhaps it’s just a cold solder joints on one of those knobs.

The tech replaced every capacitor and resistor and it was a full restoration so hopefully it would be easy for a tech in my area to fix. Does anyone know someone they can recommend that I bring it to close to me? I live in New Haven, CT. Please let me know if you or someone you know could help.

Many thanks,

Jonas

Contact the person or shop who did the work.
See what they suggest.

Unfortunately he was located far from me and I don’t feel like mailing it back to him. He gave me advice on checking things. I’d rather get some help in person or drop it off to someone near me who could repair this issue.

There are very high voltages you need to be aware of.

I'm not familiar with you area. Hopefully someone close by will see this and answer.

Barney

Sounds like it may be a defective control. The rivets bonding the wiring pins can loosen up over the years and become intermittent. See if you can narrow it down to one control using a non-conductive tool. like a Sharpie.

Thanks a lot for the replies and to the people who gave me shop recommendations by PM. I will bring it to one of the recommended places when I get a chance.

Triode17, I will look a the wiring of on the controls using a non conductive material, being careful of high voltage, but it will likely have to go to the shop.

Back
Top Bottom