anyone in virginia?

StimpyWan: We drove right past your work town on our trip to Madison WI. Central VA is beautiful. I see you are a big AR speaker fan. Just yesterday I stopped by the local electronics repair shop just to check in to see what vintage gear he is selling. Saw a nice pair of AR LST II's that the repair guy just refurbed. They sounded pretty impressive.

StimpyWan: We drove right past your work town on our trip to Madison WI. Central VA is beautiful. I see you are a big AR speaker fan. Just yesterday I stopped by the local electronics repair shop just to check in to see what vintage gear he is selling. Saw a nice pair of AR LST II's that the repair guy just refurbed. They sounded pretty impressive.

If you came up from Williamsburg, you got pretty close to me, as I'm just off RT. 29. That sounds like a good trip too. I hope you had fun? :)

Yea, big AR fan (among others). AR-90's were my first speakers. I worked at a Teledyne AR sister plant. One of the employee perks, was the ability to buy other Teledyne products at cost. So, not too much of a stretch to buy my 90's. It was either those, or a Teledyne Waterpik. A tough choice. Though, I wish we could have bought AR-9's as well. I'd probably have a pair of those next to my 90's. And AR LST II's. I've never even seen or heard them. I'd like too! :D

Yes. We went from Williamsburg to Madison to see my son marry his Dutch girlfriend in a garden wedding at their house. A nice ceremony and good driving trip with my wife; thanks for asking. At the audio store I worked at in the 70's we were an AR dealer along with a number of other speaker brands. We always had a pair of 3a's hooked up with another smaller AR bookshelf I don't remember. For a while a pair of LST's. At that time, my taste gravitated more to the west coast sound rather than new england sound, so I went with the ESS product we were selling. Looks like your 90's as well as the 9's bring a good buck on ebay. You could always drive to W'burg to see Bob at Action Electronics to audition his LST ll's. However, I imagine that's well over a 2 hour drive each way. If you ever consider doing that, maybe we could meet up on this end.

Much appreciated bro... I'm thinking of keeping the Sui and adding a preamp along with the Maggie to it.....
Natitude. If you’re still looking for help recapping a receiver I’d be willing to give a hand. I’m not an expert but have done a few receivers and a couple of tube amps. I haven’t burned down my house...yet. It probably depends on the receiver whether I’d be much help. Anything newer than early eighties is too difficult.
I know this post is pretty old, but still thought I’d offer.
By the way, I’m in northern Suffolk.
Nice to see some other AKers nearby.

Natitude. If you’re still looking for help recapping a receiver I’d be willing to give a hand. I’m not an expert but have done a few receivers and a couple of tube amps. I haven’t burned down my house...yet. It probably depends on the receiver whether I’d be much help. Anything newer than early eighties is too difficult.
I know this post is pretty old, but still thought I’d offer.
By the way, I’m in northern Suffolk.
Nice to see some other AKers nearby.

Thanks for the offer man, but I ended up selling the Sansui. Kept my Luxman R-113 and added a S/S Kenwood amp to go along with my Magnavox Amp 185. Suffolk not that far from me... depending on time of day:biggrin:

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. :( If you ever come up with another old receiver, the offer still stands. What model was your Sansui?

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. :( If you ever come up with another old receiver, the offer still stands. What model was your Sansui?

No worries man. I’ll definitely take you up on that offer if I get another older receiver... which is very possible. It was QR-4500... was a nice receiver, just liked the Luxman a little more.

Yes. That is a Kenwood Model Nine GX that I bought at an estate sale along with a Kenwood Model Eleven GX. I recapped both of them, kept the Model Eleven and sold the Nine. The Nine was better cosmetically. The Eleven looks kind of rough, but it kicks ass with 120 watts per channel!!!

Yes. That is a Kenwood Model Nine GX that I bought at an estate sale along with a Kenwood Model Eleven GX. I recapped both of them, kept the Model Eleven and sold the Nine. The Nine was better cosmetically. The Eleven looks kind of rough, but it kicks ass with 120 watts per channel!!!

:bowdown: A model Nine or Model Eleven are what I’m holding out for!

:bowdown: A model Nine or Model Eleven are what I’m holding out for!

I will keep my eyes open for you on the Kenwood. I had a Model Eleven sitting around for a couple of years as a project because the "egg timer" broke. I did like it when it was working!

I will keep my eyes open for you on the Kenwood. I had a Model Eleven sitting around for a couple of years as a project because the "egg timer" broke. I did like it when it was working!
If you find a “parts only” Model Nine GX or Eleven GX that Natitude passes on, l’d appreciate you keeping me in mind. I would love to find replacement power/line level meters that work to replace mine.
My “egg timer” is still working!

If you find a “parts only” Model Nine GX or Eleven GX that Natitude passes on, l’d appreciate you keeping me in mind. I would love to find replacement power/line level meters that work to replace mine.
My “egg timer” is still working!

I’ve got a couple saved searches on different sites, so I’ll keep you in the loop as well as to what I find. Also if you’re on Facebook... there’s a group called “ RVA Vintage Audio Enthusiasts “ you can join. They sell and share things for sell local to our area....

Back
Top Bottom