Raspberry Pi

Shark Bait

I am working on setting up a Raspberry Pi for a music server. Does anyone know how new a tablet needs to be to run it? I have older Ipads laying around but they may be too old.

Thank!

I'm not sure I understand where you think the tablet fits in here.

The RPi is a standalone computer in its own right. You can plug in HDMI monitor/TV, USB keyboard and mouse, and set it up that way.

Once set up, you can access the server either via a web server admin interface to the server, or remote log in to the RPi OS via SSH, using an app like PuTTY on a PC, or connectbot on Android, or something similar on the iPad.

I am working on setting up a Raspberry Pi for a music server. Does anyone know how new a tablet needs to be to run it? I have older Ipads laying around but they may be too old.

Thank!

My RPi3B+ is running headless with either moOde 4.1 or Volumio OS. I control it using a 1st generation iPad mini. AFAIK, any laptop, tablet or smart phone can be used as a controller via a browser - chrome, safari, explorer, etc.

Once it set up you can use many types of external devices to control the Raspberry Pi playback, depending on the application you install. I use BubbleUpnp on an old Samsung Galaxy 2s cell phone no problem to control Rune on the Raspberry Pi.

I use LMS and run an RPI with Allo Digi One digital board and piCorePlayer to an external DAC.

The iPeng remote software works with pads, phones and watches. :)

remote2.jpg

I use LMS and run an RPI with Allo Digi One digital board and piCorePlayer to an external DAC.
The iPeng remote software works with pads, phones and watches. :)

Hi E-Stat,

Do you know of any way to control LMS remotely besides iPeng ? (free options are the best :D)
A secondary webserver with a different formatting would be ideal. Server_ip:9000 web interface is not the best for phone / tablet use.
I'm trying to get picoreplayer going against moode (with its real time kernel from an earlier release).

Hi E-Stat,

Do you know of any way to control LMS remotely besides iPeng ? (free options are the best :D)
I’m told there are other smartphone apps including Android flavors. You might search your respective App Store.

I especially like iPeng’s ability to render a device as player, too. The pad I use for main system doubles as bedroom player.

Last edited:
I use Squeezer Android App, to control my LMS.
A good free android app. I use Squeeze Commander which is a paid app but it hasn't been updated in years. Other good paid apps are Orange Squeeze and BubbleUPnP. No affiliation to the last three android apps.

You can turn your android phone in to a squeezebox by using SB Player which is a free. The same can be done with Chromecast Audio devices via a plugin in LMS.

My Raspberry Pi is set up. I have a 2TB USB hard drive connected to The Raspberry Pi with a Hifi Berry DAC. I am using Volumio on an old Ipad to control it over my WiFi network. I can rip directly to it from my MacBook over the WiFi using Fre:ac.

It sounds great! Thanks for all the help.

My Raspberry Pi is set up. I have a 2TB USB hard drive connected to The Raspberry Pi with a Hifi Berry DAC. I am using Volumio on an old Ipad to control it over my WiFi network. I can rip directly to it from my MacBook over the WiFi using Fre:ac.
Congrats! I've come to appreciate the RPi platform as incredibly versatile and cost effective.

Back
Top Bottom