Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

I've been planning for a while to get a base for my GT-2000, to add additional mass using a dissimilar material to the hardwood the rack is constructed of, with the goal being to provide additional isolation.

I had a local stone & monument company cut a 3cm slab of taconite 635mm x 495mm for the base which weighs slightly over 31kg. I love it!

Attachments

• image2-21.JPG
    image2-21.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image1-32.JPG
    image1-32.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
It looks like a gorgeous piece of stone. How does it affect the sound?
I've been playing albums all evening and it sounds excellent, but then it sounded excellent before. I think precisely how the base affects the sound will remain academic as I have no feasible method to do an A/B comparison.

This is the slab of taconite under the GT-2000 was cut from. The main reddish figure is hidden under the turntable.

image1-26.JPG

Last edited:
What record weight / clamp / or other method for coupling the record to the platter are people using with their GT-2000?

I'm using a Heliopad Luna S - 2.8lbs of stainless steel. Stock photo:

View attachment 1253733
I need an additional weight and this looks like a good candidate. How long did it take to arrive from Budapest? I'm going to give my current 1.2 lb SS weight to my son for use on a Pioneer PL-630 TT he's now using. We did an A/B test last night with the weight and no weight and we were both surprised by the noticeable difference in the bass response.

I need an additional weight and this looks like a good candidate. How long did it take to arrive from Budapest? I'm going to give my current 1.2 lb SS weight to my son for use on a Pioneer PL-630 TT he's now using. We did an A/B test last night with the weight and no weight and we were both surprised by the noticeable difference in the bass response.
Ordered July 29th / delivered August 7th.

Interesting - so I wasn't imagining improved bass response.

Last edited:
I was so anxious to get my new TT base installed that I neglected to take pictures of it before the GT-2000 was covering most of it.

That has been remedied for your enjoyment. Oh yes, I also got a base for the phono stage.

image3-12.JPG image2-22.JPG

Last edited:
How are you liking the sound? Any comparisons with your other carts?

I love the sound of this cartridge as it simply does everything right, tone, detail retrieval, bass slam, flat frequency, imaging, soundstage, musicality, etc, etc.

The only cart that is its equal to this one (on this table) is my Moving Magnet AT ML180 with AT 150 stylus.

For reference I have bought and sold many well respected new and vintage cartridges over the past 18 months in an endeavor to find the best cartridge for this wonderful table. I now believe I have two outstanding cartridges that perfectly match this table and give me the best sound that suits my taste.

The cartridges I have compared over the past 18 months that have all lost out to the PMC1 and AT ML180 have been as follows.

Fidelity Research FR1 MK3F

Ortofon SPU Classic GM MKII

Monster Alpha Genesis 1000

Glanz MFG 610LX

Grace F10L

Grace Level II RC

Spectral Reference

Audio Technica AT OC9 III

Supex SD 901

I should probably point out that the Spectral Reference is the best cartridge of all but that is better suited to my Oracle Delphi for some reason.

It’s another Fidelity Research and ends in 202:) Looking forward to comparing it with the PMC-1.

Great thing is that it weighs the same, is exactly the same size, tracks the same, has the same output and I have another headshell that weighs the same as the RS 10. This all means a very easy to perform a quick swap for A/B comparison. Nothing more to do than swap headshells.

Details man...we need details ;-)

jblnut

By the way, have you ever tried your Spectral MCR on the VPI. If so what did you think.

I personally prefer mine on the Oracle Delphi/Audiomods but I only use it at the weekends for high quality Jazz and female vocal recordings.

In fact I just had it completely rebuilt by Lyra by the original builder Mishima San. Jonathan Carr (original designer) found all the original materials in the factory/warehouse from the early 90’s and they were able to built to the original specs. Sounds sublime.

Even though it sounds sublime my daily driver is still the GT2000.

Last edited:
I have not - I really like it on the GT2000 and I also love the ART-9 on the VPI. I think I have the best of both worlds/sounds and am very happy with each. I have been trying to get a "daily driver" setup though on the GT of late. I was using an Ortofon 540 MkII for a while, followed by a sapphire cantilevered Supex SD900 IV. Both have their strengths but I ended up putting the Ortofon on the PX-2 in my office as the Supex delivers a little more detail and stays quieter in the groove. It's good, but the Spectral easily bests it (as it should given the price difference).

My next move is going to be something that is more mid-focused and perhaps softer sounding. I'd love a Koetsu but that's not in the cards for some time. Not sure where I am headed...still reading and researching. Deli has been telling me about some of the better TOTL MM's for some time. May see how far I get down that road with his help/guidance.

jblnut

I would have lost a bet on Yamaha bringing out a new table even one thats belt drive.

I guess all the press given to Technics gave them a little push.

View attachment 1268498 View attachment 1268499 View attachment 1268500 View attachment 1268501 View attachment 1268503 View attachment 1268504 Unpacking Gt-2000x w/ YSA-1 that finally arrived today... it has been a 3 month wait.
(YGT-1 arrived last month)

USPS /Amazon lost the Stepdown transformer shipped from Japan that I ordered 6 weeks ago... so yet another delay
More updates coming soon
Thanks

Whawawat?! And a YGT?! This thread just got a shot from the AED!

Thanks for the update...that is seriously gorgeous stuff!

Back
Top Bottom