Complete noob - SX-737

technics11

Hi everyone, I just picked a nice looking SX-737 off CL for $125. Seller was a nice guy, said it works well and everything lit up in his pictures.

So I'm completely new to vintage audio. I currently have a Technics SL-DD33 w/art dj pre II and Edifier R-1280T powered speakers. I know enough to know I won't be using the Edifiers with this receiver. So do I need to do any precautionary things when testing this receiver out? I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up, blow any components or anything. If I just plug it in to see how it works/lights up is there anything that's fragile that I should be careful not to do? I'm a complete idiot when it comes to electrical stuff (I'm a structural engineer who struggled in my circuits class). I guess my paranoia comes from reading through a few threads of people troubleshooting their old pioneer receivers and hearing how some components could be delicate/worn.

What are the speaker plugs I hear people talking about? Are they just for connecting vontage speakers that have that type of cable? Can I hook up my cheap pioneer bookshelfs to the L and R channels and be alright?

Sorry for the complete helplessness. If anyone can point me to any good sticky's I'd be really thankful as well.

Thanks, Greg

You won’t need the Art DJ preamp either, the Pioneer has a built in phono preamp so just plug the turntable directly into the phono input on the back of the receiver. Also the SX-737 doesn’t use speaker plugs, it uses terminals. Make sure you connect the + and - terminals of your speakers to the + and - terminals on the receiver, if you get one of them mixed up it won’t sound right (in other words + from receiver to + on speakers and - from receiver to - on speakers). Cheap Pioneer bookshelves will be just fine (for now ;)). That’s a great receiver IMO, right in the middle of the lineup. Congrats!

Last edited:
Nice pickup! Being unrestored, just don't crank the volume too much and you'll be fine, it's a solid piece of gear.
Just be aware there are tons of transistors all over in it that like to go bad/noisy (2SC1344/13, 2SA725/6) and some caps.
Do you have a multimeter? Checking to be sure the bias and offset are around where they should be would be a very good move.

Last edited:
Good sounding older receiver.
The SX-727 and 828 are 2 of my favorite sounding 70's Pioneers.
Currently sitting on an 828 that needs the "blue Sankyo" caps on the preamp board replaced since they've become noisy with pops and clicks.
One thing I learned the hard way with 70's Pioneers, be judicious with the volume on 4 Ohm speakers.
I;ve blown 2 with 4 Ohm speakers. I do not believe they were really made to handle high current load speakers.

If set to mono, stereo light goes out. I have the earlier 727 model, it's one of the prizes of my collection. Like the other poster said, watch the ohm load on it, I don't put more than a single pair of speakers rated at 8 ohms on mine. Add another amp if you want more power. I also always set my volume back to zero before I shut it down and crank it up slow after a little warm up when powering back on. If you're really going to go vintage add a set of 70's ARs or any of the Pioneer 15" woofer models of the period, and the CS-88A sounds sweet for the 12" line, or any of the Pioneer HPM line. More modern speakers also sound great, but you might want to add a sub because the modern speakers are expecting one and don't really go down to the low Hz's because of it. I'm running a set of Klipsch F-3 towers on my SX-828 set up like that with a sub and it's fine....

Last edited:
If set to mono, stereo light goes out. I have the earlier 727 model, it's one of the prizes of my collection. Like the other poster said, watch the ohm load on it, I don't put more than a single pair of speakers rated at 8 ohms on mine. Add another amp if you want more power. I also always set my volume back to zero before I shut it down and crank it up slow after a little warm up when powering back on.
The speakers I'm using now are 8 ohms. What is the reason for turning the volume back zero when turning it off and slowly turning up the volume as it warms up?

The speakers I'm using now are 8 ohms. What is the reason for turning the volume back zero when turning it off and slowly turning up the volume as it warms up?

If you get in the habit of doing it, it will keep you from overdriving your speakers on start up and I've just always been told warming up older solid state components a little before driving them is a good idea.

Dumb question, should the stereo light be on when using the Phono input (with the mono setting set to off)?
No, the dash lights should be off while listening to phono IIRC.
She sure is a nice rig.
Makes me want to have my 828 repaired as soon as I get my Luxman fixed.
Those mid 70's black-dial silver face Pioneers are among the best looking receivers of the "classic receiver" era IMO

If you're tuned to a stereo station and the red Stereo light indicator light is lit up, it will remain lit even if you switch over to Phono (or Mic, or Aux). If you move the tuner dial away from that station, the stereo light will go out, regardless of which input you have selected. On my 737,the Stereo indicator light remains lit even if the Mono button is pressed in.

This is more of a general question but how do I avoid overdriving my speakers? Would I really need to have the volume turned up really loudly to have this happen? I have my setup about 8' away from me in my small 15'x15' office so I never have it very loud.

This is more of a general question but how do I avoid overdriving my speakers? Would I really need to have the volume turned up really loudly to have this happen? I have my setup about 8' away from me in my small 15'x15' office so I never have it very loud.
Yup, and you'd probably hear the woofers bottoming out. You're good.

If you're tuned to a stereo station and the red Stereo light indicator light is lit up, it will remain lit even if you switch over to Phono (or Mic, or Aux). If you move the tuner dial away from that station, the stereo light will go out, regardless of which input you have selected. On my 737,the Stereo indicator light remains lit even if the Mono button is pressed in.

You are 100% correct, thanks for the info! I grabbed an FM antenna wire off an RVC stereo my wife had in college, stripped the end and connected it to where the coax usually goes (per another thread's recommendation) and the FM radio works 10x better AND my stereo light lights up :D

The red stereo light just makes the whole receiver even prettier, if possible ;)

Get a copy of the Owners Manual off Hi fi Engine. If will explain WHY The FM STEREO LIGHT STAYS ON while the unit is in Phono, Aux,etc. It has to do with the Recording selector and how THAT Functions. ONLY the 737 and 838 have that control.

So I moved my whole set up from office this weekend because we were having some friends over. And after moving everything back the stereo light is coming on and off constantly. I disconnected my antenna wire and reconnected it but it didn't seem to help. Can anyone think of any other troubleshooting ideas? It was behaving completely normally up until moving it back.

I guess it could be something with the signal from the station I have it set to. Oddly never had it happen in about 10 days before now. I'll try setting it to another station that it picks up stereo.

Last edited:
You’ve got it in a different location where perhaps the signal is poorer or more interference. Try a stronger station.

If set to mono, stereo light goes out. I have the earlier 727 model, it's one of the prizes of my collection. Like the other poster said, watch the ohm load on it, I don't put more than a single pair of speakers rated at 8 ohms on mine. Add another amp if you want more power. I also always set my volume back to zero before I shut it down and crank it up slow after a little warm up when powering back on. If you're really going to go vintage add a set of 70's ARs or any of the Pioneer 15" woofer models of the period, and the CS-88A sounds sweet for the 12" line, or any of the Pioneer HPM line. More modern speakers also sound great, but you might want to add a sub because the modern speakers are expecting one and don't really go down to the low Hz's because of it. I'm running a set of Klipsch F-3 towers on my SX-828 set up like that with a sub and it's fine....
I have an SX 636 hooked up to a pair of Paradigm 3se MkII and also a pair of Klipsch Synergy B2 speakers. Both are rated at 8 ohms. Do you think 2 pairs of speakers with this unit could be too much? They fill up the room pretty well without me having to really crank them up.

I have an SX 636 hooked up to a pair of Paradigm 3se MkII and also a pair of Klipsch Synergy B2 speakers. Both are rated at 8 ohms. Do you think 2 pairs of speakers with this unit could be too much? They fill up the room pretty well without me having to really crank them up.
The 636 is rated for 4 ohms. You're good.

Back
Top Bottom