Is no remote for Yamaha RX-Vxxxx series a big deal?

Donal64

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Been reading that the older AVRs are really good for sound, and can be had for not too much. So kinda got focused on older Yamaha RX-Vxxxx series avrs. What I have been noticing is that , in many cases, especially on ebay, there is no remote included. Have found that often, the remotes sell for about as much as the avrs. If I were to buy a Yamaha avr without a remote, would I be able to use most of the features, just work it manually, or is a remote kinda necessary, even for basic stuff? Also, does the remote need to be a Yamaha remote, or can just about any remote be programmed for the avr? Appreciate any input, opinions.

Could be worth checking to see whether the Yamaha app works on the RX-V series. It beats the remote hands down on the RX-A series.

I just sold a bit RX, and most of what it could do was manageable from the front panel. I'd buy a Logitech universal remote and be done with it, or if you're a cheap guy like me, there are countless apps that work great. PEEL is one I have used, and it has never failed me. Not once. Pretty amazing.

My iphone is an old 4s. Don't know if any programs will work on it, being so outdated. But it is nice to know that there are options. On that optimistic note, I just pulled the trigger on a Yamaha RX-V1500. Hope it gets here in one piece. Thanks everybody for the input. Looking forward to playing around with a new toy.

I'd buy a Logitech universal remote and be done with it
I googled a Logitech universal remote and the hits it got showed it to be selling for just about what the Yamaha remotes are selling for. Guess it should not be a surprise

Your RX- will need to have network for the app to work. If it does, the Yamaha app should be able to connect to it. If you RX- has network, look at it's IP and try manually entering it in the app to discover.

One potential oversight here is that you almost need the original remote to be able to program a universal remote properly? Unless of course the unit you're trying to work with is already pre-programmed in ... I was never that fortunate.

Kind of like buying an equalizer with pink noise generator. I see a lot of those listed without the microphone, and lost in the small print is the fact that those tend to be specifically tailored for a single unit and it's pretty much luck of the draw as to whether another will work. Ya takes yer chances, eh.

Best o'luck though. I do know that I'd be lost without the AVR remote here ... wouldn't be able to reach all the buttons (I'd even have to read the manual! (shudder), and it's not like I'd be able to read the labels if I could ... <G>

If you are not a techie, then the remote is absolutely vital. But having app is great especially if you use the cloud, then you can use almost any device to operate your system and have total back-up..

Yamaha didn't use dozens of remote "codes" or whatever you call them. Many yamaha or generic pre-programed AV remotes will be close enough. Connect to a TV to use the GUI to save your sanity....

Loved my RX-V2500 which looks similar to the 1500.

I did a google search on the peel app. One of the reviewers had a problem with adverts and said that he disabled the program , but could not delete it, if I understood correctly. I doubt it will be an issue for me. I think my iphone is so outdated , it likely will not be able to use any of the apps. And rather than buy a new tablet or device to load an app, it would prolly be easier and cheaper to just buy a remote, even an original Yamaha for the unit. I'll be doing some more investigating when the receiver arrives.

There's plenty of AKers with Yamaha RXV-xxxx remotes- you could put out a call and send one of them a universal remote and I'm sure they could program it for you.

Yamaha's codes are pretty universal, it's just that certain receivers might have a mode or input that doesn't line up.

If you go a little older like by RX-V992 all of the remote functions can be done with the controls on the front panel as well. So all set up is possible. Then you could use just about any programmable remote to work the volume and on/off. The next year RX-V995 has 5.1 amp input so you can bypass all of the AVR stuff and use as a power amp.

If you go a little older like by RX-V992 all of the remote functions can be done with the controls on the front panel as well. So all set up is possible. Then you could use just about any programmable remote to work the volume and on/off. The next year RX-V995 has 5.1 amp input so you can bypass all of the AVR stuff and use as a power amp.
I was pretty interested in the RX-V992/ RX-V995 , but I wound up with the RX-V1500. I ordered a remote that is supposedly for/ compatible with the V1500. Should be here in a couple days. Also, was browsing Yamaha receivers on ebay and ran across a RX-V757 that was near the end of auction with no bids on it. Seller had started bidding at $30. I bid and was the only bidder. It comes with a remote and, from the picture, looks the same, or very similar to the one I just ordered on ebay. Don't know what the deal is with all these receivers not having remotes. At least one seller on ebay seemed to be selling the remote for the Yamaha receiver in a separate auction.

Anyone selling anything without the original remote says to me that's someone who doesn't and didn't take care of the "whatever".

Anyone selling anything without the original remote says to me that's someone who doesn't and didn't take care of the "whatever".
I tend to agree. When browsing ebay and craigslist, I find there are a very large number of receivers being offered without the remote. I'm kinda inclined to think that many consumers buy these receivers and don't use them much, lose track of the remote, don't realize the importance of the remote, don't realize that the cost to replace the remote , in many cases, is about as much as the receiver is worth. In other words, they are likely just very casual listeners/users. Another thing I noticed on ebay is that some sellers seem to be selling the remote in a separate auction.
The unit I got was from a guy who sells receivers. He said he got it at a church sale from a guy who was downsizing his collection. After contacting him, I felt confident dealing with him. Unit arrived well packed and was just as clean as the ebay pics indicated. Got it for an ok price.

Or a previous owner didn't want a bucket full of remotes for a home system, got a Logitech Harmony or other such universal remote and lost track of a bunch of original remotes that weren't needed anymore to enjoy the setup.

Back
Top Bottom