its DEAD jim...

FONSguy

My 2004 era Powerbook 13" died. I had been using it play iTunes into my analog preamp. Saturday I quit iTunes, and launched the 2007 era Firefox to see if I could listen live to a radio station in Towson, MD. When typing into the search bar the W was a zero... (WTF??) I rebooted, but even though it chimed, I get no screen and it sound like JUST the fan is spinning inside. Usually if your hard drive dies you get a flashing folder with a question mark. Looks like I'll be getting a MacMini to replace it. At least I can hook the mini to HDMI #3 on my 4K TV and use a remote to control iTunes. Good bye old friend. Now I have 2 dead Mac Laptops. The other has really noisy fans that cost 60 bucks each to replace.

It could be RAM issues. Don't bury her yet. My G5 tower "died" one day. It would boot to a point and then just white screen. It sounded like it was working. I was thinking the video was messed up. Luck be had, a couple weeks later I was at a garage sale and there sits a G5 tower. $5 I believe. Swapped video cards and back in business.

try replacing the hard drive, since the machine boots and chimes, and the fan works. or
the video card.

I rebooted, but even though it chimed, I get no screen and it sound like JUST the fan is spinning inside.
Sounds like it could be a dead backlight (either the fluorescent tube or the inverter) on the LCD display. If you shine a light from the front you may see a faint image from an (otherwise) working laptop.

Look around on youtube for instructions on "baking" your GPU. This has brought many a MAC back to life...

Also the W= 0 might be he numlock key being engaged.

Maybe just needs a safe boot? Not sure if there is such a thing ... you might have to read the book ...

Maybe just needs a safe boot? Not sure if there is such a thing ... you might have to read the book ...

Hold down Option, Command, P, and R through 3 reboots... Ah, those were the days.

Resurrecting the dead is always fun but OP is likely right...time to move on.

I used to be an Apple AASP cert holder and put a replacement HDD before I used it for iToons. it's using 10.4.11 as the OS, which is hardly usable due to modern security requirements. The mac seems to have USB issues at the keyboard as I cannot "Zap the PRAM" anymore. Since 2006 All it was used for is helping me with my taxes as I put the instructions on it and used it's calculator. I may open it up but not today.

I'm sure we all feel the ops pain, but good reminder to run backups regularly. I always do a mirror of the drive AND a separate backup of all the data files - that way I can just resume where I left off using the same machine and OS if it's a hard drive issue, or reinstall just the music to a new build.

PS ... maybe not an option with a laptop, but I also use one drive for the OS and software, with a separate drive for just data.

It had no data on it. It was used to connect to my Mac server holding one of several copies of my music. 2008 era server on 3rd set of 4 1T hard drives is still going.

The station must be WTMD, right?
Awesome station. I'm lucky to live in MD, so I can catch it on the airwaves.

The station must be WTMD, right?
Awesome station. I'm lucky to live in MD, so I can catch it on the airwaves.
I've known Weasel since 1977 when I was doing nightclub DJ work. I won the WHFS "Radio Activity" contest 3 times. Also knew Bob "Here", Josh Brooks and David Einstein. One night I had to drive Bob, Josh, Cerphe, and someone else to Josh's place in Cabin John. this was about 2am on a Wednesday. When Weasel was doing nights I would come up with a reel to reel and tape music from their music library. Aaaah the good old days.

Sorry to take the thread off topic. HFS was great in the 80's. I remember listening to Weasel and Bob Here. I met Damian a couple times. I used to work with "Milo" Shepherdson if you remember him. I'm reading Cerphe's book (Cerphe's Up) right now.

Milo played some of the BEST most modernist up-to-date stuff ever. The last night of WHFS at the 102.3 slot, he played the vocal version of Old Boiler. He was told NEVER to play it because it would offend the audience. If he did it he'd get a whipping......He doo'ed it! He went on to work at Wolftrap if I remember correctly.

Yes Milo became a union stagehand, a rigger specifically, and a good one. I used to work with him at Wolftap, Kennedy Center, etc. All around DC.

SO..........
As I geared up into fall house cleaning I discovered the old 13" Powerbook under some magazines under a side table. Pushed the battery level, and it was 1/2 charged. So, just for S&G I hit the power button...And the thing chimed, and booted! (WTF??) So I powered it down and charged it up. Its back to playing Itoons Radio streams again. I have no words.

Back
Top Bottom