I have often wondered........

Zygmo

why my stereo seems to sound especially better once in a long while.
A friend mentioned recently that an audiophile guy we know told him that he believes weather may play a part in his enjoyment of music.

That has occurred to me now and then through the years. I often just sit by myself and listen to favorite music for a couple of hours (usually in the middle of the afternoon). It seems like it sounds better on a very hot, and very humid day, not unusual in Arkansas. I have a feeling it might be the barometric pressure on those special days....maybe that along with high humidity can make a difference? Obviously mood can make a difference, but.....every time I do just sit and listen to music, of course I'm already in the mood.
And, I have for sure noticed that I never had this feeling of the stereo sounding especially better on cold days.

No...my feeling is the effect is on a person's ears, not on the stereo equipment.

There's no link with speed of sound ans equipment. But there more chances to have an effect on our ears.

But if humidity has an effect on what we hear we should have the effect on everything we were : cars, people talking, etc.

Maybe there's more impact on our moods.

I am a big believer that whether does affect your listening experience.
It all depends on whether or not your in the mood;)

Uh huh huh ... he said mood ... moooOOOOOOooood ...

4539c14d79e149f2877d4b580edc1d15

A very hot humid day outside doesn't mean the same inside(air conditioning) more likely it's Psycho acoustics.It's the phenomenon I think, that is responsible for most of what we claim to hear as far as the differences in amps,cables etc.

A very hot humid day outside doesn't mean the same inside(air conditioning) more likely it's Psycho acoustics.It's the phenomenon I think, that is responsible for most of what we claim to hear as far as the differences in amps,cables etc.
LOL. If you have read my early posts, you would know I don't believe in audio voodoo!! I know (because I have participated several times) that when you compare a vinyl record to a reasonably well recorded CD of that same record, nobody can consistently pick which is which in a double blind setup. I know you don't need 10 dollar a foot speaker cable. (and, BTW, they can lay flat on the floor with no effect on the sound, and they are not directional!) You don't need power conditioners. All, and I mean ALL vinyl records have surface noise.
I just gave up in contributing to the arguments over which is better...analog or digital. I have vintage TTs and tape decks because I like them even though I know a well recorded CD or USB sounds better.

So, back to my original post. The reason I had never mentioned this before is because I expected this same response, but since a friend mentioned he felt the same way, I decided to post. It very well could be in my mind, but I tend to question that for the fact that the outdoor conditions always seems to be about the same when it (rarely) happens. And I don't know if barometric pressure is the same in a reasonably well insulated room as the outside or not. Just a suggestion I put forth.

Also, I have no air conditioner or other sounds when I seriously listen to music because my room was designed for music from the ground up. I worked in construction and did most of the work myself.

I would wonder wether temperature would have a greater affect than humidity ?

If air density changes with temperature perhaps there is some negligible affect on sound ?

I have always though about this issue with humidity during the summer time. Mostly the sound coming form the woofer. My theory has been they are porous, they can hold moisture and the cone becomes heavier. When I have time in the next couple of weeks I will be running a couple of experiments using a hydrometer, dehumidifier, and REW to see.

Very high humidity can have a negative effect on some electrostatics.
It can reduce output. My Sound Labs have a variable bias control that allows me to vary it as necessary. I still prefer keeping things <55%. Keep a dehumidifier upstairs for that reason.

In the same way my coffee tastes better on some days and not other days - exactly the same recipe, but I suppose the water may be slightly different.

I think it is the ears and the brain tricking us.

Back
Top Bottom