Help with cleaning an old speaker surround

nick parkin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Greetings! I just got another pair of the Coral Holes baskets and the surround on one of them has a lot of dirt on it and was wondering if there was a way to clean the surround. I was thinking maybe a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol? It is a fabric surround that is coated in a thin layer of rubber.

Any tips?

Nope. Alcohol on rubber is not a good idea. It removes oils that the rubber needs to stay flexible.

Nope. Alcohol on rubber is not a good idea. It removes oils that the rubber needs to stay flexible.
any way to clean them? these things are literal dust magnets and the surround has lots of large particles and dust on them!

Im thinking maybe my Dyson with a soft bristle attachment?

It means that it sounds like a good idea. :beerchug:
only problem is that the coral cone is incredibly fragile. I pushed it in with two fingers on each side of the dust cap (made sure to not push directly on the dust cap) and it dented it. Thankfully its easy to press out the dent.

You could also try just a dry tooth brush. Loosen everything then vacuum or knock the dust out
I used the soft bristles to lightly loosen the dust but these surrounds are dust magnets. Ive never seen a surround that collects as must dust as these corals.

I use a soft paintbrush and the open hose of the vacuum cleaner without attachments. Don’t get the suction too close to the surrounds or the cone just hold it about an inch or two away and use the soft paintbrush to ‘sweep’ the dust into the suction of the hose. Again, no vacuum parts too close or touching the speaker surrounds or cone - too much of a risk.

fnhwix.0208K.Crayola-Jumbo-Paint-Brush-Set-of-12.500.500.d8389a19-bb48-492c-a4ec-86d6860f4fca.jpg

71RE808458L._SY741_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom