Receiver phono input too loud

Johndoe64

I just received a Sony Str-vx250 receiver today, and I am having some problems with the phono input. When I play audio through my turntable, with the volume nob under 1 it is extremely loud and distorted. It is the same with my CD player. Both the tape monitor and Aux inputs sound fine. Is this a problem with the built in pre-amp? Thanks!

I just received a Sony Str-vx250 receiver today, and I am having some problems with the phono input. When I play audio through my turntable, with the volume nob under 1 it is extremely loud and distorted. It is the same with my CD player. Both the tape monitor and Aux inputs sound fine. Is this a problem with the built in pre-amp? Thanks!
Does your turntable have a built in pre-amp? If so you would not use the phono input. Doesn't explain what's going on with the CDs unless you have plugged that device into the phono input.

Does your turntable have a built in pre-amp? If so you would not use the phono input. Doesn't explain what's going on with the CDs unless you have plugged that device into the phono input.
No, my turntable does not have a built in preamp, it works fine with my other receiver. I plugged in my CD player into the phono input and it had the same loud distortion effect, it sounds fine when it is plugged into the aux input

Does the Sony have a switch for moving magnet or moving coil (low output ) cartridge ?

Does the needle flip over for 33/45 on one side and 78 on the other side? If yes, you have a ceramic cartridge. They have an output voltage that is very close to AUX input levels. Use AUX input instead of phono input. The EQ won’t be quite right but the volume will be close to normal. The sound quality will be kind of harsh and lacking in any sort of depth or detail. You may still be able to find a simple, inexpensive plug-in adapter to adjust for the different EQ specs. Check Parts express, MCM, Needle Doctor and similar suppliers.

Thank you for the advice! I'm pretty sure my turntable has a ceramic cartridge, although it won't play 78s. It works through the Aux input, so I guess I will use that until I get a new turntable, since I was just using it to test the receiver. Thank you!

Last edited:
No, my turntable does not have a built in preamp, it works fine with my other receiver. I plugged in my CD player into the phono input and it had the same loud distortion effect, it sounds fine when it is plugged into the aux input

You should never plug the CD player into the phono input: only turntables. The output level of CD player is too high, and it's possible to cause damage to the phono preamp that way.

Try this (assuming you don't have a ceramic cartridge): Plug the TT into the known-good Aux input. Play a record and turn the volume up until you can hear the music. If you hear music (should sound really tinny), that means the TT is still good, and the phono input on the Sony isn't right.

Try this (assuming you don't have a ceramic cartridge): Plug the TT into the known-good Aux input. Play a record and turn the volume up until you can hear the music. If you hear music (should sound really tinny), that means the TT is still good, and the phono input on the Sony isn't right.
I plugged my turntable into my TV receiver AUX, and I got music without having to crank my volume up very much, so I am assuming that it has a ceramic cartridge

Definitely ceramic - I had the exact same thing with an old Garrard that I pulled from a console. The valve amp in the console only had one input and the turntable sounded fine through it - so did my CD player so then I thought ' Hmmm that's odd'.

Of course I realiased that for a turntable to have the same output level as a CD player (or close ) then it must be running a ceramic cartridge. This is the situation you are in.

A ceramic cartridge has a much higher output level than a magnetic cartridge and will cause the phono preamp to overload.

The turntable was made for the other receiver, they were part of a set sold by Montgomery Ward, so I am assuming the phono in didn't have a pre-amp.

Back
Top Bottom