Replacement album covers.

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up 4 boxes of albums yesterday. 3 boxes were fine, one had got damp and the bottom edge of the covers got some damage & a little mold, the edge of the records has a little mold that can be easily cleaned . But theses are really nice albums, CCR, Police, Santana & others. Anyone know someone selling just decent album covers & liners that I can replace the damaged covers & liners?

Last edited:
Do you mean album covers that have all the graphics (and are simply missing the LPs)? Or do you mean plain white record jackets?

Do you mean album covers that have all the graphics (and are simply missing the LPs) ? Or do you mean plain white record jackets?
If I could get originals, yes. But may need to resort to plain covers. A few can be cleaned up, but most of these have deteriorated beyond use on one edge.

On really badly beat up albums I just stick them in a heavy plastic clear cover and a nice new white insert.

I don't mind a record showing its wear but I don't want the record falling out from the bottom either when picked up :)

Eric

I plan on using alcohol to clean the mold off the covers. That would be a concern, that the mold might come back, even after I clean off the mold I can see now.

Last edited:
Pics. Some are a little worse, Some are not as bad. Most starting to split at the seam.

IMG_8209.JPG IMG_8210.JPG IMG_8211.JPG IMG_8212.JPG IMG_8213.JPG IMG_8214.JPG IMG_8215.JPG IMG_8216.JPG IMG_8217.JPG IMG_8218.JPG

You may want to call a used record shop to see if they have orphan covers. If they buy in bulk, they may get albums without the vinyl. A local shop owner keeps his for spares.

The reason I asked about white covers is that I bought record jackets from a place out in Hollywood maybe ten years ago. I design exhibit catalogues for museums. One of my clients had a show that featured a huge wall installation made from clear vinyl LPS and CDs. I decided to make the catalogue 10" square, and asked Stan Ricker (boy do I miss his good energy!) to introduce me to someone who could print a 10" record jacket for me that would serve as a slipcase for the catalogue. He suggested The Dorado Press in North Hollywood and they did a fantastic job. Although in my situation I bought 1000 jackets that were printed front, back and spine, there might be a way to buy a few blank jackets from them. (I haven't looked around otherwise, maybe blank white jackets are commonly available all over the place — just thought I'd tell you about Dorado in case you strike out elsewhere.)

KoreanJacketCatalogue.jpg

If you want you can repair some of those simply by putting some tape inside them in a V shape. I have seen someone selling repair kits for covers which is basically a narrow sheet of tape glued on a paper.

Here is a link:

Simply repairing split seams isn't the issue. Been using white speaker foam glue for years with success . It's the replacing water damage & molded covers with otherwise NM records (after cleaning) that sucks, trying to find them. I probably have good cover in my stash with scratched lps that I could swap, just have to find them. :) I usually shy away from these type albums, knowing my OCD would kick in.

Picked up 4 boxes of albums yesterday. 3 boxes were fine, one had got damp and the bottom edge of the covers got some damage & a little mold, the edge of the records has a little mold that can be easily cleaned . But theses are really nice albums, CCR, Police, Santana & others. Anyone know someone selling just decent album covers & liners that I can replace the damaged covers & liners?

First, use a disinfectant wipe to remove as much mold as possible inside and out. That's all you really can do. If that fails, there is always this:

http://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/206/lp-record-jackets

I plan on using alcohol to clean the mold off the covers. That would be a concern, that the mold might come back, even after I clean off the mold I can see now.

Use a Sporicidin disinfectant to kill the mold and prevent it from coming back. Alcohol is moderately effective, but the Sporicidin is the better option.

Go to discogs or other online store. Look for a copy of the album with the record in poor condition and jacket in good or very good condition. I did this to get a jacket for my wife's original pressing of Rubber Soul that was missing its jacket. For six bucks, I got an original jacket and an unplayable record, which I turned into a clock. You can probably find lower prices for the album jackets you need, especially if you don't have to have a first pressing.

I have approximately 300 or so mint LP's with no jackets in a clean storage box [on edge]
from an unfortunate water leak.
All jackets were extensively damaged fused together along with accompanying mold/mildew.

The balance of my collection I was able to recover but that box is still sitting there.
Time to decide my next move.

The later style seams that have the one folded-over edge are easily repaired with a glue stick. Just run the glue stick over the fold-over edge a few times, then set something heavy along the seam and let sit for a few hours. I usually do several of them at a time and then set a weight on them.

The earlier kind I just fix on the outside with a strip of shipping tape carefully cut down in width and applied.

Found only 2 covers ( Santana 1 & The Police GITM) in 2 lots of empty album covers on the bay. Would cost nearly $70. Think I can't go that route.

I have approximately 300 or so mint LP's with no jackets in a clean storage box [on edge]
from an unfortunate water leak.
All jackets were extensively damaged fused together along with accompanying mold/mildew.

The balance of my collection I was able to recover but that box is still sitting there.
Time to decide my next move.
I feel for you, bro. I might have about 35-40 in this lot that needs work. So far I've saved about 10 covers in reasonable condition. Some others may be salvageable, some may be not. I'll keep at it. If they had been just run of the mill albums, I might not care as much. But the lot in this one box are a lot of my favorites.

You can get white or brown album cover/jackets from a-zon or the bay. I get inner sleeves there too. I get lotsa moldy albums and have to throw away the old covers and sleeves.

Back
Top Bottom