B vs non-b value

Just my opinion, but I don’t think there is a lot of difference in demand for B vs. non-b. My guess is that comparably powered units will carry about the same price, with the exception of rare units like early engraved non-b units.

I am answering assuming you are referring to the all silver face plate models (2330B, 2285B, 2265B etc) that were produced in the 78-80 range. The B models do demand a higher price than the non B models. If you referring to the earlier b verse non B around 75 i dont think there is a difference.

This will be labelled as heresy and I denigrate nothing but, the B models are better designed and more thoughtfully constructed and less prone to fantastic light/smoke shows when the underrated components in the the non-Bs fail.

Some may say that model B sounds better than model non-B but who am I to argue. I admit I dont get the (undeserved IMO) excessive desire but who am I to argue. I sell everyone I fix and everyone I fix the owner just loves it.... so....

Of note, I did add cool blue led fuse lights to a 1979 panasonic AMFM 8 track and people went gaga over it, so mebbe its dial color based?

I don't think it is as simple as B or non-B.

Resale seems to be tied to particular models. I believe folks paying top dollar understand that there are quality models of value. If I am looking at a 2230 or a 2252b -- they are both quality, but they each have their own personality. Am I looking at a fully restored 2325? A 2270? What about a 2235B?

There are so many good pieces.

I've only lived with the 8, but I suspect any audible differences could be swamped by capacitor or tube rolling. Ultimately, bench testing could likely produce better numbers from a properly set up 'B'. A good example at a reasonable price of either would be a worthy acquisition.

Yes referring to the silver faceplates. I've got a 2226 and saw a 2226B go for $400 at local shop and was curious if there was much difference between my non-b and their b both in value and otherwise. I've always enjoy the sound of my 2226 and i've heard a 2226B this past week that sounded similar of course i wasn't able to A/B.

The 2226b is a generation newer than the non b. The FM section will be a bit better. The b models IMHO are the best from 72-80 era. I have owned pretty much every model from the 2216b to the 2500 over the last 20 years. The 2270, 2275, 2330b, 2325, 2285b are all excellent choices.

ok sounds like the 2226b then would be worth more resale value than the 2226 (both silver face). any idea what a good quality, checked over 2226 shold go for? that 2226b in town sold for 375 !

ok sounds like the 2226b then would be worth more resale value than the 2226 (both silver face). any idea what a good quality, checked over 2226 shold go for? that 2226b in town sold for 375 !

I think you should be posting about values in Dollars and Sense.

This will be labelled as heresy and I denigrate nothing but, the B models are better designed and more thoughtfully constructed and less prone to fantastic light/smoke shows when the underrated components in the the non-Bs fail.

Some may say that model B sounds better than model non-B but who am I to argue. I admit I dont get the (undeserved IMO) excessive desire but who am I to argue. I sell everyone I fix and everyone I fix the owner just loves it.... so....

Of note, I did add cool blue led fuse lights to a 1979 panasonic AMFM 8 track and people went gaga over it, so mebbe its dial color based?

I cannot speak to receivers, however, it is accepted that a 250 is better than a 250M--which would be the equivalent of a "B" for amps. The same is true for the 500 versus the 500M and later models of it. The values are based upon (at least those who know) on what the general reception of the unit was at the time of its manufacture. Some models are simply considered much better than others. Hand made models in the USA will always be higher value than those made in Japan. After the famed tube tuner fiasco (best tuner ever made, so damn expensive to make that Saul lost money on every one sold) all tuners were made in Japan anyway--still, there are tuners and then there are tuners. Some were better than others. The tuners that command the most money are well known, therefore, the receivers that utilize those tuners are more valuable than others.

Back
Top Bottom