Time to figure out what is wrong with my CR3020

10sguru

The volume in the right channel on my CR3020 is really, really low. If I isolate it with the balance control and gradually turn the volume up it presents intermittent crackles and is garbled with very little increase in sound coming from the music source. I noticed that the protection relay switch is extremely slow to come out of protection so perhaps that is the culprit. In researching the issue all I could find was Merrylander's post from June 2011 which stated that the CR-3020 has four relays, one is the soft start relay that takes two 10 ohm 5 watt resistors out of the transformer primary after the big filter caps have had a chance to charge a bit. The other three are for each of the speaker outputs, A, B or C, why one each I have no idea. The 3020 takes a bit longer to come out of protection than earlier models, quite normal for this beast. It can either come with the same output transistors as the CR-1020 (except two of each per channel) or the Sanken equivalents 2SA747B and 2SC1116B. On the power amp boards there are seven fusistors that sometimes change value and cause problems, best replaced with 1/4 watt resistors or in the case of the 68 ohm one a 1/2 watt. The other values are 390, 100, 47 and 4.7 ohms. Additionally while this beast is in the shop can any of you Yamaha Gurus suggest additional things to look for an or "freshen up"? Not looking to do a serious refurb as I subscribe to the adage of if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. By the way according to the previous owner of this particular unit it was gone through by Merrylander 6 or 7 years ago and when he asked Rob about the unusual delay in the protect relay he indicated that it was quite normal for the 3020 to take a bit longer to come out of protection than the earlier models (1020 & 2020). Guess maybe now its time to check that protect relay. Also could any of the Yamaha experts, (avionic, oilmaster, Mr. Yamaha) recommend a suitable replacement relay. Thanks in advance for any info and or suggestions - Jim

Try exercising the coupler switch on the rear panel. And listen for any audible difference.. If that doesn't pan out. Get a separate amplifier or pre-amplifier. Using the pre-out / main-in RCA's on the rear panel of the 3020. Lets determine if this is and power amplifier issue or pre-amplifier issue.

Yamaha Gurus suggest additional things to look for an or "freshen up"?
Rob has probably already freshened it up 7 years ago. I wouldn't imagine it needs any more freshening up. Except for maybe a gallon of deoxit.:D

Does speaker A, B, and C all act the same?
Actually after reading Rob's post about a separate relay for each speaker A, B, C it suddenly dawned on me to try B & C. Will report back later this evening. Thanks for the extremely helpful advice.

Actually after reading Rob's post about a separate relay for each speaker A, B, C it suddenly dawned on me to try B & C. Will report back later this evening. Thanks for the extremely helpful advice.
If it still acts the same. That rules out the protect relay.

avionic - Switched speakers to B and same result. Switched speakers to C and voila, beautiful music. So I gather two of the three relays are bad or in need of a serious cleaning, right?

Stop the presses. Just turned the unit on with speaker selector set to C which earlier was playing fine and now just a very, very small amount of sound coming from the right channel. Back to square one as I try Dave's other recommended tests to isolate the problem.

Just exercised the coupler switch as Dave suggested in post #3 and the volume in the right channel is now playing normally.

Back
Top Bottom